Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 RGC, new to the gliding world and love it so far (had it for 3 days). The bike is bone stock and only had 900 miles on it. Here is the issue i am looking to improve the sound. I have a friend who has the 103 motor on a road king and has 4in Reinhart Slip ons. Sounds good but not quite enough bark for me.

I was thinking that i would do a vance and hines power dual with either a vance and hines slip on or reinhart slip. Problem is my my local shop not a steeler but almost as bad wants to do a tune and said my total out of pocket is around 2k. more than I want to fork out at the moment.

I read on here that knocking the baffles out will improve the sound? Or removing the cat from the stock heads will also do the same? At this point I do not care about the performance improvements of head pipes just looking for better sound

·
Super Moderator
13,524 Posts
2k for an exhaust and tune, is he crazy? :eek: What is he charging for the exhaust and how much to tune? I have a Dragos exhaust, nice bark when you get on it, but not too loud during normal riding. Check out Frank at Dragos, he's a forum sponsor and all around good guy, give him a call.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Unless you remove the cat from the header I doubt you'll be happy since it acts like a second muffler. A number of companies sell alternative headers that re-use your heat shields, Fuelmoto & Fullsac. American Custom removes the cat and you can reuse the header. From there you can re-core your mufflers or purchase the Rineharts I think you really wanted. As for tuning, you can generally get away without one if you change out only the mufflers and air cleaner. Since the header is being changed a fuel tuner should be used.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
That's not to far off. Consider what needs to be bought.
1. V&H Dresser duals $393.95 chrome
2. Slip on pipes $400-$700
3. Fuel management system. $450-800
4. And the labor to "CUSTOM" tune a map (Not downloaded)

You could save yourself alot of money and order a Power Visions for around $500, Dresser Duals, & mufflers. Downloading the tune is really simple. So if you wanted to do it yourself, add the numbers. $1300-up.

My local shop charges $360 to custom tune a bike. 3-4 hours of labor.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Unless you remove the cat from the header I doubt you'll be happy since it acts like a second muffler. A number of companies sell alternative headers that re-use your heat shields, Fuelmoto & Fullsac. American Custom removes the cat and you can reuse the header. From there you can re-core your mufflers or purchase the Rineharts I think you really wanted. As for tuning, you can generally get away without one if you change out only the mufflers and air cleaner. Since the header is being changed a fuel tuner should be used.
Cannot bring in more air and not change values.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Cannot bring in more air and not change values.
You can if you want to run the same lean condition from the factory. The ECM has enough wiggle room to handle a muffler/air-box upgrade. Change out the header to and you really need to re-tune. Would I do it, no, because I want the most performance for my money. Some people prefer to hold off on the tune and run this way without an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
When I first bought my '12 Glide I picked up a set of Rush Big Louies with 2.5" baffles. They gave me plenty of bark to keep me happy without changing the way it ran until I could figure out what to do for a tuner and headpipe. You can always change the baffles in the mufflers if you change the headpipe later on. Good Luck!

·
Registered
492 Posts
You can if you want to run the same lean condition from the factory. The ECM has enough wiggle room to handle a muffler/air-box upgrade. Change out the header to and you really need to re-tune. Would I do it, no, because I want the most performance for my money. Some people prefer to hold off on the tune and run this way without an issue.
Lean factory condition sucks! My dealership here in So Cal actually gave me a Stage 1 download under warranty because it was running too lean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to my local stealer today. heard the harley nightsticks, didn't sound too bad. Any thoughts on this?

Also they reccomended that I wouldn't need to do the head pipes just recommended that i do a new air cleaner and tune said it would cost me around 1k depending on the mufflers i chose.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Went to my local stealer today. heard the harley nightsticks, didn't sound too bad. Any thoughts on this?

Also they reccomended that I wouldn't need to do the head pipes just recommended that i do a new air cleaner and tune said it would cost me around 1k depending on the mufflers i chose.
What's important is you liked the sound and if the price is right. If you get them, they are made by Supertrapp and to use the open disks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I went with Jackpot ceramic header, powervision tuner and CFR pipes. I think you will want to change the head pipe, it'll reduce a lot of heat and create power. All in about $1500 I think. Great results and a grand cheaper than what your dealer quoted. The power vision tuner is really easy to use and if you buy from Fuel Moto they will support you with maps to get you started. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Not sure of your location,but if you look around you can find some one who is decatting head pipes,i have done quite a few in my area,most guys get somewhere between $ 100 to 125 to do it,mine are welded with stainless and back gassed so there is no slag on the internal side of the pipe.So its up to you as how much you want to spend on a head pipe.A low cost system would consist of a decatted head pipe and a set of slip-ons of your choice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you don't care about a exact tuning and modifying engine parts, you can get a whole setup for about $1200 like I did on eBay. Any ceramic coated headers like mine for about $500. I got rush true duals. I also got the rush big louie slip ons with the 2.5" baffle for about $360. Makes a deep rumble sound. Arlen ness big sucker for about $110. And vance and hines fuelpak for about $160. Look up map online and there you go. More power, more sound, less money. I haven't had any issues!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
First of all check with some of the forum sponsors and see what prices you can get for a good exhaust system that you like. Also call PC Pain (Jon) at Horny Toad HD and see what prices he has for the system your want. PC Pain can get HD exhaust systems and aftermarket exhaust systems too. I would stay away from HD exhaust systems all together because they are EPA compliant.
Second of all if your just doing a exhaust you don't need a EFI tuner or a tune or a HD download because the stock ECM along with the stock O2 sensors will make all the AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) adjustments that is needed for the bike to run trouble free.
You will need a EFI tuner and a tune if you do intake mods along with the exhaust mods.
The exhaust systems is a easy DIY if you are mechanically inclined and have basic hand tools so go get the HD service manual and DIY.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I agree with ironmark on the no need for a tune if you only change exhaust,gutted my head pipe with rush slip-ons with no tune and it ran just fine,IMO the diff between a gutted head pipe and a after market other than a couple hundred bucks will not be felt in riding,2-3 HP maybe,if you are looking for sound first then performance second as long as you plan no further mods,then the gutted head pipe would be the most cost effective.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First of all check with some of the forum sponsors and see what prices you can get for a good exhaust system that you like. Also call PC Pain (Jon) at Horny Toad HD and see what prices he has for the system your want. PC Pain can get HD exhaust systems and aftermarket exhaust systems too. I would stay away from HD exhaust systems all together because they are EPA compliant.
Second of all if your just doing a exhaust you don't need a EFI tuner or a tune or a HD download because the stock ECM along with the stock O2 sensors will make all the AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) adjustments that is needed for the bike to run trouble free.
You will need a EFI tuner and a tune if you do intake mods along with the exhaust mods.
The exhaust systems is a easy DIY if you are mechanically inclined and have basic hand tools so go get the HD service manual and DIY.

Thanks Ironmark. I reached out to PCPain and have had some discussions about my setup, seems like his prices are competitive also.

Ive decided to do the pipes and handlebars myself. Im pretty handy (or at least i think i am). And the wife gave me the idea to do it all now so I have it the way I want it.

So it looks like I will be doing something like this:

Rienhart 4" Slip on pipes (not entirely sold on this vs other brands)
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Vance Hines Fuel Pak
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air Cleaner

14" LA Chopper Twin Peaks chrome- ordered
LA Chopper Stainless Cables- ordered
LA Chopper wire extensions- ordered
Arlen ness Smoothy grips chrome- ordered

2 up Tour Pak - ordered
Razor Tour pack from Matazu- ordered
HD 4 point docking hardware- ordered
HD passenger floor boards- ordered
10"windvest windscreen-ordered

Also i will eventually be putting in Rockford Fogsgate pbr300x4 with 4 6.5" speakers in the dash.

holy cow, now that I list it all out Im starting to get a bit overwhelmed :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings,

American Custom. Mine is the first review and I stand by what I said then to this day.

;)

O and yes I am a newbie who joined in 2011. I don't talk much but when I do it is because I have something to say.

American Custom

JimmyK

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did the Vance Hines Power duals, Rinehart pipes, Arlen ness big sucker stage 1 with vance hines fuel pak... Absolutely love it!!!!

Notice the power difference and the sound is awesome, my wife and daughter said they are happy how much better it sounded... They were used to my old softail with straight pipes that crackled beyond belief.

Thanks for all the recommendations!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.