Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a '11 RG Ultra less than two weeks ago and for the most part, I am in love. A couple of times now after riding a while I hear a pinging in the engine. The first time was at about 2800 rpm pulling a hill. It wasn't a particularly hot day. Yesterday evening I went for a short ride and ended cruising up main street. By the time I got to the top of main she would knock when I went to move from a stop and then she would ping. Once I got up to highway speeds the pinging quit and didn't come back. When I spoke with my local HD dealer they just said it was probably bad gas and to add liquid Horsepower.
I am new to HD but this doesn't seem normal.
Any help would be appreciated.
ozzyn

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Since the bike is used do you know what if any mods were made to the bike by the previous owner??
The noise you are hearing is spark knock or commonly called pinging. The cause of the pinging is usually AFR or ignition timing or a combination of the two.
Your HD dealers response is pure bullshit and if I was you I would take the bike back to the dealer and demand the bike be tuned correctly at their expense because they sold you a faulty product.
Also the HD OEM ECM has a ION sensor system which works as a knock sensor, if the bike has aftermarket spark plug wires or spark plugs it will affect the knock sensing capabilities of the system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Ironmark.
I don't know of any mods that were done. I bought the bike from a BMW dealer but called the Harley dealer that has done the maintenance. I went through the records that were with the bike and I didn't see any mods. Maybe I just need to get it timed. No chance of getting it in soon. My local HD dealer is Black Hills Harley Davidson and the Sturgis Rally is right around the corner. :eek:

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Well the odds may be against you having the dealer fix the bike but it may be worth a try.
I riding buddy of mine purchased a used BMW from the local HD dealer and there were some issues with the bike.
He went to the HD dealer to have the bike repaired because it was still under a warranty the dealer offered on used bikes and the HD dealer tried to fix the problem but since the HD dealer knew nothing about BMWs they were unsucessful.
After some heated discussions between him and the HD dealer the HD dealer agreed to have the bike repaired at a BMW dealer at the HD dealers expense. The BMW was repaired the HD dealer paid the bill and the issue was resolved.
So you never know give it a try you have nothing to lose. ;)

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Are You are using high test gas ? 92 or 93 octane . If so, I agree with Mark. Take it back, it's not right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dakota V Twin

Ride over to Spearfish and talk to Randy at Dakota V twin. He and his son are
top notch Guys, Good luck too you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am running 91 octain in it. I could probably get a little higher octain but I'm not sure where around here.
I actually dropped it off at Dakota V Twin today and hopefully he will get to it tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts