Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Piggy backing on a post by Hiram, I think the original owner rolled the stock bars forward. So far forward that they're uncomfortable, and are too close to the fairing when turning lock to lock. I'd like to roll them back rather than install new bars. I'm guessing I'll have to re-index the controls but have read about the controls and handlebars being locked in place by pins...Assuming the original owner didn't mess things up too badly I should be able to put them back where they were? I'm 6'2 and the seat is stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Rest easy, nothing’s messed up and nothing is “locked” in place. There is (probably in your case “was”) a pin in the bottom half of the bar clamp that apparently is placed there during assembly for purpose of quick and easy standard alignment. It’s usually removed or tamped down when changing handlebars. Some bar manufacturers do not have the slot to accommodate the pin, others only place the slot on one side of the bar, like Factory 47, but RGU’s and CVO’s have the pin on the opposite side of the clamp, requiring removal of the pin for those bars, or as in your case the owner wanted to move the stock bars further forward than would be allowed with that pin in place.

There are several videos on handlebar replacement. You only need to remove the gauge cluster in order to loosen the clamp enough to get your bars where you want them. I’d suggest a helper to hold the bars at all times, and always protect your tank with a cover. Two popular videos are “Factory 47 2015 2016 Road Glide 14” Handle Bar Install”, and “How to install 13 tall Road 6 Custom Handlebars”. I wouldn’t recommend removing the ignition switch to do it because one wrong move and you’ve got another project on your hands. This means you’ll have to remove the horseshoe underneath the ignition switch. They’re only clipped in but some are easier to remove than others. Piece of cake though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for talking me off that ledge...Since my riding season here in the great white north is over, I'm just gonna take my time and stare at it for a good long while

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Rest easy, nothing’s messed up and nothing is “locked” in place. There is (probably in your case “was”) a pin in the bottom half of the bar clamp that apparently is placed there during assembly for purpose of quick and easy standard alignment. It’s usually removed or tamped down when changing handlebars. Some bar manufacturers do not have the slot to accommodate the pin, others only place the slot on one side of the bar, like Factory 47, but RGU’s and CVO’s have the pin on the opposite side of the clamp, requiring removal of the pin for those bars, or as in your case the owner wanted to move the stock bars further forward than would be allowed with that pin in place.

There are several videos on handlebar replacement. You only need to remove the gauge cluster in order to loosen the clamp enough to get your bars where you want them. I’d suggest a helper to hold the bars at all times, and always protect your tank with a cover. Two popular videos are “Factory 47 2015 2016 Road Glide 14” Handle Bar Install”, and “How to install 13 tall Road 6 Custom Handlebars”. I wouldn’t recommend removing the ignition switch to do it because one wrong move and you’ve got another project on your hands. This means you’ll have to remove the horseshoe underneath the ignition switch. They’re only clipped in but some are easier to remove than others. Piece of cake though.
+1 on this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, there is also a quickie youtube video on removing the chrome switch cover. Goggle is your freind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts