Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I crashed my bought new 05 Ultra in June 2014 while towing a roll-a-home camper. My rear tire blew out while I was on cruise control at 65 mph. I was in between jobs and heading out to the Lake Powell Utah area for some camping and riding. I was on I-40 near Gallup N.M. My first time in an ambulance and first time spending a night in a hospital, a total of six days. My 3/4 helmet saved my life. I only broke some ribs on the left side and of course the left side collar bone. I was wearing a pocket t-shirt so I had some real bad road rash on my back. The bike was totaled. My first thought when the tire blew was "this is gonna hurt", my next thought was "I'm alive". A lot of folks pulled over to help me and I tried to thank them all.

I'm 59 and have been riding since I was 14. The Ultra was my third Harley. After a year without a bike I started to get the urge again. I started thinking about a trike. The ol' knees aren't what they used to be and if I blow a tire with three wheels maybe I can keep it up. But me and Harley couldn't work out a deal on a trike. They are not cheap.

A few years ago my brother in law had a 2003 CVO road glide. I remembered when I took it for a ride that I liked the more open cockpit than the Ultra has. Of course I when bought the Ultra new I loved the "in your face" dash panel.

When I saw a picture of the new RG last fall and thought it looked pretty cool so I'm thinking that I can still hold up a two wheeler. I'm not in that bad shape.

Being the end of the model year I was wondering if I could work a deal on a 2015 RG Special. Fort Washington Harley said "Hell yeah" and I drove away with the Whiskey Amber color model. I really do like orange or burnt orange.

I love this motorcycle. Especially the handling and the brakes. Having the frame mounted fairing allows the steering to handle like a sport bike. I love it. The electronics are awesome too. I love having the odometer controls on the handlebar with the remaining fuel miles feature available. Bluetooth to my smart phone music is awesome. The brakes are the best I've had on any of my other motorcycles.

After ten years of having a stock Ultra I wanted to change things up a bit. So I purchased some 16" apes and V&H Big Radius pipes to put on it once I got back from my road trip. Obviously I had my indie mechanic send them back.

So, next year some apes and pipes are in the picture.

Let me hear from you guys about any suggestions. I would appreciate it.

I live in Lexington Park, Southern Maryland.

seeya....

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Glad you survived your blow out, and congrats on your great new ride. Welcome & best wishes from SC!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think if I were shopping again, or painting my current ride, I would love whiskey amber. Good for you to recover from you accident and still want to ride.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.