Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beyond pissed. It is a beautiful 55º, sunny day and I haven't ridden my bike since before I had back surgery last fall. I decide that today is the day that I feel like I'm strong enough/ready to ride again after surgery. Unplug the bike from the Battery Tender Junior I've had it on all winter in my garage. Turn the power on, flip the kill switch and press the ignition button.

Clunk. Nothing. Just the radio playing.

:mad:

I replaced my battery with a new Yuasa GYZ32HL last fall, and like I said, kept it on the Battery Tender Junior all winter and the tender is less than 2 years old. I don't get it. The bike is a 2015 FLTRXS and only has around 6,000 miles, so I wouldn't suspect an issue with the charging system. I currently am trying another Sears brand battery charger that I had on my wife's sportster all winter (her bike fired right up btw :rolleyes: ), so maybe that will get it charged enough to turn over.

Right now I can only imagine that my tender is not working right. I did add a heated gear connection to the battery last fall, so maybe I didn't tighten down all the connections??

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
since the bike hasn't ran in 5 months, i wouldn't suspect the charging system either. i would suspect it's either loose connections at the battery, or a bad tender. i had a tender. it would suck the charge out of the battery, not keep it maintained. stopped using it, have had fewer battery issues.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lights on the tender don't show that anything "weird" is going on, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Is there a way to check my battery tender?

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
The lights on the tender don't show that anything "weird" is going on, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Is there a way to check my battery tender?
I had a tender that showed the green "all's good" light but was bad. I got a new one and in an hour my electric start generator started.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
A volt meter . I never had luck with the yuasa battery , never seemed to last long.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A volt meter . I never had luck with the yuasa battery , never seemed to last long.
I have the same Yuasa high output battery in my wife's 1200 Sportster Custom and that thing has been amazing. It is hard to get a battery with better CCA than a Yuasa.

I tried to use a voltmeter to see what the output of the charger was, and it wouldn't even register on the voltmeter. I checked my Die Hard tender and it wouldn't register either (and I KNOW that charger works). I did some research and found out that these smart float chargers have programming in them to not disperse any output unless connected to a battery. So even hooking up the alligator clips and touching the voltmeter to them didn't work. So in essence, there is no way to actually test the charger.

I am pretty sure I have a bad Battery Tender Junior. I tested the battery with a voltmeter and it was reading a touch over 12v, so that lead me to think that the battery was good but not being charged. I took my old Die Hard float tender off the wife's bike and put it on mine yesterday at lunch. I knew it was keeping her battery good because that bike started up INSTANTLY. So a couple hours later I get home and see the Die Hard tender is green and says charged. I disconnect from the bike and try to start it, but it doesn't turn over. It give me one turn and then kerchunk. Nothing.

I plug my bike back into the Die Hard tender and it says it's charging again, so I left it. About 3.5 hrs later I see it is green/charged again and I give it a shot. VROOM! We have liftoff! I let it run for a few min and then shut it off and tried again, and it started but seemed a little more hesitant than before. I put it back on the Die Hard and let it sit. When I go home at lunch today I will see if it starts. If so I think it was just that Battery Tender Jr not working right. I will probably go have my battery tested to see if it did any damage to it or reduced the life any.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I went through 3 Battery Tender Jrs until I got smart and spend a little more money on the Regular Battery Tender. It's about $70. I have one that has lasted 15 years that I use on my bike and the Tender jr's I used on my quads. I'm not a fan of Jr.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just had the same thing happen, a battery tender Jr plugged in to my shovelhead since fall, went to ride yesterday and it was almost dead, showed a green light and it looked fine but the battery was down. I charged it, rode it and plugged into a battery tender plus and it's ok this morning.
I have three of the Battery tender plus units that have been flawless for many years, did the same as a previous post and put the Jr on my 4-wheeler.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I have the same Yuasa high output battery in my wife's 1200 Sportster Custom and that thing has been amazing. It is hard to get a battery with better CCA than a Yuasa.

I tried to use a voltmeter to see what the output of the charger was, and it wouldn't even register on the voltmeter. I checked my Die Hard tender and it wouldn't register either (and I KNOW that charger works). I did some research and found out that these smart float chargers have programming in them to not disperse any output unless connected to a battery. So even hooking up the alligator clips and touching the voltmeter to them didn't work. So in essence, there is no way to actually test the charger.

I am pretty sure I have a bad Battery Tender Junior. I tested the battery with a voltmeter and it was reading a touch over 12v, so that lead me to think that the battery was good but not being charged. I took my old Die Hard float tender off the wife's bike and put it on mine yesterday at lunch. I knew it was keeping her battery good because that bike started up INSTANTLY. So a couple hours later I get home and see the Die Hard tender is green and says charged. I disconnect from the bike and try to start it, but it doesn't turn over. It give me one turn and then kerchunk. Nothing.

I plug my bike back into the Die Hard tender and it says it's charging again, so I left it. About 3.5 hrs later I see it is green/charged again and I give it a shot. VROOM! We have liftoff! I let it run for a few min and then shut it off and tried again, and it started but seemed a little more hesitant than before. I put it back on the Die Hard and let it sit. When I go home at lunch today I will see if it starts. If so I think it was just that Battery Tender Jr not working right. I will probably go have my battery tested to see if it did any damage to it or reduced the life any.
Can't you check the batteries voltage ,then hook up the tender to the battery,than test voltage for the difference?

Reactions: Swomack

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it may not be the charger after all, but rather a bad battery or something else in the bike.

Went home at lunch and the Die Hard tender showed the battery was charged. I unhooked the tender, tried to start the bike and the same thing happened as before. Wouldn't turn over. WTF!?!

So out of curiosity, I hooked my old harley battery to the Battery Tender Jr last night to see what would happen. After today's failed start at lunchtime, I noticed the Battery Tender Jr showed my old battery as charged. So I pull the Yuasa from the bike and put in the old Harley battery. It started! I let it run for about 5-10 min, shut it off and restarted it without issue. I hooked up the Die Hard tender to the HD battery in the bike and it showed as "charging". Not sure if I ran enough juice out of it in those 10 min that it would not show as fully charged, but we'll see if it starts when I get home. In the meantime, I have the Yuasa battery in my truck to get tested on my way home.

I was talking to a buddy at work that said sometimes you just get a bad battery and sometimes it will show charged, but it is not really taking a full charge. We'll see what the battery test says. If it is a bad battery, I am not sure how to go about getting it replaced under warranty. The Yuasa website says it doesn't handle warranties directly and that the place of purchase decides that. Well I had to buy it via the Yuasa seller on Amazon, as nowhere around me sells Yuasa. Not sure how that will fly.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Well it may not be the charger after all, but rather a bad battery or something else in the bike.

Went home at lunch and the Die Hard tender showed the battery was charged. I unhooked the tender, tried to start the bike and the same thing happened as before. Wouldn't turn over. WTF!?!

So out of curiosity, I hooked my old harley battery to the Battery Tender Jr last night to see what would happen. After today's failed start at lunchtime, I noticed the Battery Tender Jr showed my old battery as charged. So I pull the Yuasa from the bike and put in the old Harley battery. It started! I let it run for about 5-10 min, shut it off and restarted it without issue. I hooked up the Die Hard tender to the HD battery in the bike and it showed as "charging". Not sure if I ran enough juice out of it in those 10 min that it would not show as fully charged, but we'll see if it starts when I get home. In the meantime, I have the Yuasa battery in my truck to get tested on my way home.

I was talking to a buddy at work that said sometimes you just get a bad battery and sometimes it will show charged, but it is not really taking a full charge. We'll see what the battery test says. If it is a bad battery, I am not sure how to go about getting it replaced under warranty. The Yuasa website says it doesn't handle warranties directly and that the place of purchase decides that. Well I had to buy it via the Yuasa seller on Amazon, as nowhere around me sells Yuasa. Not sure how that will fly.
If you can't get warranty, battery Mart sells the Big Crank battery delivered for $ 105. Its a Decca with AGM technology. Going on year 2 on mine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don’t believe in coincidences..... I had 2 brand new batteries crap the bed after leaving them plugged into the tender jr when not being ridden. Ever since then I only plug it in once a week till the light goes green. Then I unplug it and repeat weekly until spring arrives. 5+ years going strong with no battery issues whatsoever.

So maybe just maybe bye coincidence I had 2 bad batteries in a row.... Either way I’ll never leave 1 plugged in continuously again to find out.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I don’t believe in coincidences..... I had 2 brand new batteries crap the bed after leaving them plugged into the tender jr when not being ridden. Ever since then I only plug it in once a week till the light goes green. Then I unplug it and repeat weekly until spring arrives. 5+ years going strong with no battery issues whatsoever.

So maybe just maybe bye coincidence I had 2 bad batteries in a row.... Either way I’ll never leave 1 plugged in continuously again to find out.
Me personally, I never leave a tender plugged on my battery on any of my bikes

Like stated, when it turns green, I un-plug and haven't had any issues

Every once in a while you just get a battery that is bad and will not stay charged

Also while the bike is just sitting in the garage over the winter, fire it up at least once a week and it seems to help

Good Luck With The Fix

Swomack

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took the battery and Battery Tender Jr to be tested last night. The tender is working properly and outputting the correct amount of power. The battery (remember it was purchased new in September and ran fine for a month of riding) is not good. They said it had full charge but when they load tested it, it was only putting out half as much as it should have–I believe they said 260 CCA compared to the stated 500 CCA of that Yuasa. I asked why such a new battery would crap out so soon, and the guy said it could be that the battery was just sitting in a warehouse for a long time or maybe it was just a dud. There is no date code on the Yuasa, so hard to say.

I contacted Amazon and they are sending me a replacement battery by Sunday!

My original HD battery that I charged up with the Battery Tender Jr and put back in the bike to test, is still turning the bike over. After I unhooked it from the tender yesterday afternoon, I test started it three other times during the evening without issue.

Once I get the new battery I am going test for voltage, charge if need be and take it to get load tested. I'm just curious. I might take my original HD battery to be tested for shits and giggles too.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
To those worried about leaving a "cheap" battery tender plugged in 24/7, you have a right to worry.
Why not buy a good tender worthy of your 25K bike......

CTEK! Google is your friend
btw....these are included in the $250K price of a Lambo

I too, buy from Battery Mart.
Have had excellent luck, plus I get them the next day delivered to my door step

·
Registered
435 Posts
Even though it wasn't the tender, after reading all these I ordered a tender plus and will relegate the junior to a backup, plus I like buying shit.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I like the odyssey batteries....the drawback being with them,you do need a better charger.The cheap tenders don't charge at a high enough voltage for them.Odyssey has a list of approved chargers they want you to use.

When I have a down battery,I jump start from a car.If you have good cables,you can hook it up to the starter terminal and the passenger footpeg bracket and start the bike without starting the car.At least that way a guy can go for a ride.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts