Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new set of bars from Rocks Chops in on Friday. These fought me for 4 hours Friday night, and I didn't even internally wire them! They came out better then I thought, and complement the fairing and gauges nice. Even fits with the shield good, however it does hit on tight turns.. not bad enough for me to notch the shield though.
Here are the pics.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

The clutch cable was rerouted and just long enough. 16" would be to high for the stock cable. There is still enough wiring under the fairing to go with 20", and the brake line was rerouted some,.. but there is still plenty for it as well.
Then I hung the mirrors that Funky hooked me up with upside down. I've never thought that mirrors sticking up off of apes looked good,.. looks like mouse ears to me. Believe it or not, I can see better out of them now then I could before.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looks good Chainsaw! How do the feel from a height perspective? They seem to be about the same hieight as mine. Other than your wrist angle seems a little more laxed. In fact, your wrist appears to be the same as ripped glides new stripper bars which are very comfortable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love em Chainsaw. They are cool as chit.! Your going to have bugs in the teeth from all that grinnin while ridin down the road.

Tom

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the side view with me on the bike, my arms are perfectly parallel with the ground... at least from looking at the windows as I drive by on main street. :D I'll have to get the wife to take a shot of me when I'm on the bike. I really wanted to stand them straight up a little more, but it hits the shield to bad. They are very comfortable though,.. except for the 36 degree weather this morning riding to breakfast. I noticed that right away that I had no more wind protection for the hands and I will have to get beefer gauntlets for cold riding. The wrist angle is a little more steep then the 9" set I had on, but still more comfortable then anything else I've ever had.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Looks really good dude. I love the way that apes look, especially the custom ones that you have on yours.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Chain,Chain,Chain,... after meeting ya here on this forum and admiring your taste in Apes I do have to admit the design of those Bars are in a leage of their own! How did they beat ya for four hrs.? I think they complement your WHOLE Bike,... little alone, the fairing and gauges! If it wasnt for you man, I would still be wondering what kind of Bars to put on my bike for that,... just a little better,... ridin position! Class a #1 lookn Bars, Bro. I Love that Black Denim!

·
Registered
303 Posts
well...so you got your windshield picked out....bars are done....got your lowers on...must be on cloud 9 for sure.

Great look...what's next??? lol

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chain,Chain,Chain,... after meeting ya here on this forum and admiring your taste in Apes I do have to admit the design of those Bars are in a leage of their own! How did they beat ya for four hrs.? I think they complement your WHOLE Bike,... little alone, the fairing and gauges! If it wasnt for you man, I would still be wondering what kind of Bars to put on my bike for that,... just a little better,... ridin position! Class a #1 lookn Bars, Bro. I Love that Black Denim!

It wasn't really the bars, it was everything else that was kicking my ass. Everything from screws and tools walking off, to losing C-clips on the levers, to breaking the brake sensor and having to solder more wires up then I was expecting to. I took my time, but it just seemed like everything that could go wrong, did. It was worth it though,.. I put on a lot of miles over the weekend and love the way the bike feels now.
Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Chainsaw, how much do you have them leaned back? Compaired to the stock riding position are you more leaned forward? Or are you at about the same spot? Still trying to decided what type of bars I want.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Chainsaw, how much do you have them leaned back? Compaired to the stock riding position are you more leaned forward? Or are you at about the same spot? Still trying to decided what type of bars I want.
The grips are about 4" closer to the radio then the stock bars are. I am in the same spot, because I am so tall. The stock bars I was super cramped because they were so close. These would make a shorter rider lean forward to reach them, as I just sit normal and can reach them fine.

My suggestion, is follow these instructions that BR Custom cycles put up (Funky Nova has BR bars) http://www.brcustomcycles.com/MEASURING_NEW_BARS_UP.php
This is a great writeup on how to measure custom made bars,.. and takes 2 people to get the measurements. BR, Rocks Chops, and several other people will make bars to your specs, and they don't even have to be a wild design. That way you know for a fact they will be what you want, and you will be comfortable, and your bars will be specifically made just for you instead of a basic style that you have to get used to. A custom set of bars will feel like they were made for you,.. because they were. Prices vary a lot when your taking custom, but Rocks Chops charged me $135 for my first set, and $115 for this set shipped to my door in raw form. He also powdercoats for $25. He is by far the cheapest I have seen when it comes to a custom set of handlebars, and to be honest the highest quality I have seen. I would put his bars up against anyone else out there for quality.

K

·
0 Posts
Goodthing u live in Hugoton & have nothin else to do!! haha Just teasin Neil, bars look good. Have to stop by & see them i person.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Goodthing u live in Hugoton & have nothin else to do!! haha Just teasin Neil, bars look good. Have to stop by & see them i person.
Yea man, give me a shout. I don't work at the place you came out to last time any longer... got a sales job now and work out of the house. I'll pm you my number.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Installing new bars

Hey fellas, not that I wasn't payin attention, but I have backed into a corner on installing my bars myself. I bought "the book" today, and am looking at doin it at home. I don't want to blow a bunch of money at my local HD shop jus before a long road trip. I would much rather spend the money on gas, eats, and cold beverages...

Anyway, didn't someone post a "how to" on the bar install. I thought I saw it, but can't find it now. Hell it might have been on something else. What I really need is some direction on internal wiring. TIPS??? Special tool requirements, as in a widget to take the switches apart making it possible to get the wires through the bars.

These bars would look A LOT better on the bike than my bench in the garage.

Thanks in advance for help...

Rowdy

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can tell you from past experience when I internally wired bars in the past,.. that an old clutch or throttle cable works well. Send it through the bars,.. tape your wires to it, and pull it back through. The reason being,.. its stiff enough you can get violent with it pushing and pulling, but is still flexible enough to make bends.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts