Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Tmax. Installed, updated all is good. Now for base map selection, all thats available for what kit i have(SE 103" stage IV w/259e cams) is one thats identical except the 260 cams.

Is this safe to run or do i need to find a map for the 259e's? If so where would i get one? And once i get it base mapped, do i need to ride the bike a certain way so it can auto tune?

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
You should be safe with that map, you're basically trying to get close and let the TMax tune in. You can always call Frank at Dragos, I'm sure he's there today and he'd be glad to help.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Go with map #305 to start with the cam is close and the TB & injector size is right.
I have found that the exhaust is not a big factor in choosing base maps because the auto tune will tune the AFR no matter what exhaust you have.
In my stage IV with the 259E cams I could never get the spark knock out completely. My spark knock was always when accelerating over 1/2 throttle or when the bike was under load.
No matter what you will have to make timing adjustments to the base map and it will take some time and riding sessions to get everything close.
The best way is to have the bike dyno tuned which I never did because it is hard to find competent dyno techs that are familiar with the T-Max tuner.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
Forget that! I'm no tuner. Isnt this thing supposed to tune itself???
I'm no tuner either, put the base map in and ride, no two bikes are the same, it will basically tune itself and if you have any issues you can contact tech support to send them a sample of what you have, and they will tell you what you need to do, it's really simple as long as you have a pc.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Forget that! I'm no tuner. Isnt this thing supposed to tune itself???
A auto tuner is only going to auto tune the AFR it WILL NOT auto tune TIMING. This is true with any auto tuner not just the T-Max.
Put in the base map and do your riding sessions, a riding session is 25 to 50 miles of riding.
After a day of riding hook up your PC and go to "Map Editing" than click on AutoMap (write learned fuel adjustments CLP OFFSET). Doing this will allow the ECM to learn and adjust to your riding habits.
If you do get spark knock after doing this 5 or 6 times then you will need a timing adjustments to the bike. You will need to take note of RPM and the aprox throttle position the spark knock occurs.
After doing that you can do a DATA COLECTION and send it in to T-Max support and they can make MOD MAP for your bike and you just download the new MOD MAP and then do the riding session and AutoMap.
You may need to have MOD MAPS made a few times to get things right or if you want you can make timing adjustments by yourself by using either the
Timing vs engine temp
Timing vs engine speed
Timing vs TPS

You are tuning the bike without a Dyno so it will take some time to get things just right.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are there any other charts I can look at besides these ones(tps and trim) to see what changes the tuner is making? Also is there a chart that will show me spark knock?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
There are no charts for spark knock.
You have to do more than 1 riding session and then after doing 4 or 5 riding session or at the end of a good day of riding you need to do the AUTOMAP.
If the O2 sensor are throwing DTCs then there may be a problem so check your installation. Also T-Max had the O2 sensors set to sensitive in their 2014 firmware which resulted in the O2 sensor throwing DTCs, T-MAX has addressed the problem and fixed it with a firmware update so make sure your module has all the firmware and software updates.
Do a data collection and describe the problems and then send it to T-max support they should be able to help you.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
A useful riding session is considered to be 25 to 50 miles. Everytime you start and shut off the bike the ECM learns the fueling offsets occured during the riding session. It is best to have a few riding sessions like 3 to 6 before doing a automap.
Good to hear that the bike runs strong. Doing a automap every now and then helps the ECM adjust to your riding habits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts