Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

2020 RG special
110 miles!
I swapped my bars today
(Have experience with this before)
But obviously I screwed up or missing something

Gauge cluster does not come alive
Fuel pump primes but no lights on gauges
Lights flash almost like it's in security and not seeing fob...?

I did not disconnect my battery before removing the gauge cluster so that was probably my first mistake

Wires pulled extremely easy (KHS bars)
I've checked all the basics like bad connections kinked/damaged wires

Does pulling the gauge cluster send the bike into a lock out condition in security or something

Figures.... bars went so easy

So What'd I do???

Pretty stressed right now so any help is appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your fuses..like pull and inspect...
Yes sir....got frustrated and just had to let it be...I'm off to my camp for the weekend...so had to leave it...it's gonna be bugging the hell out of me now all weekend till I can get back on it....
Sometimes the simplest solution is it... just didn't think I could have popped a fuse by disconnecting anything and reassembling?
But your right I have to check them

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Speedo must be hooked up, check the pins, and fuses...have a great weekend, its all good!!! Happened to a bud of mine last week...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep just got to chill and not let it bother me I guess...been waiting a long time for this and with only 110 miles on her....well you can imagine...I'm a bit stressed
If it's not in the wiring maybe someone can chime in on the possibility of the security system?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Granted no where the same year - but does speak to HD alarm behavior.

My brother's 2012 when totally dead on him on his first long ride...and he called my in a panic. He'd run ~100 miles north to see a friend, and was taking pictures of their kids on the bike; kid on; kid off; hes got camera - and fob - 20-ish feet away.

Yeah it went into lock-down mode. Completely electrically dead. Lock forks, lock switch, pause... unlock and go zoom.

But since some of yours does come up ...(at least partially)... I'd go with the blown fuse option.

IIRC my 10 blew a fuse when I was doing the 2018 1-1/4 handlebar conversion on it ... Nothing ever arked ... She just decided to get a tad bitchy and pop one..

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
When you say the lights flash are you talking about the gauge lights? You sure you got the plug seated good? The hand control plugs shouldn't have anything to do with it.

I just did a guys bars I work with today. So its fresh in my mind, but I did plug the maxi fuse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I meant Craig is the turn signals flash...like when you move the bike without the key fob
Absolutely no lights in the gauge cluster whatsoever
I did not remove any fuses... that was my screw up to begin with
Idk if that had any thing to do with my issues

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
What I meant Craig is the turn signals flash...like when you move the bike without the key fob
Absolutely no lights in the gauge cluster whatsoever
I did not remove any fuses... that was my screw up to begin with
Idk if that had any thing to do with my issues
I’ve done it before without removing the fuse. All it did was set off DTCs. My guess....and not to sound like a smart ass.....you either forgot to plug the gauge cluster plug in completely or it isn’t seated all the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I don't take it like your being a smart ass...that's the first thing I checked and check and checked again....all my connections are tight and in the right way....the gauge cluster has a keyway plug so it's in fully and the right way...
Looks like the switch cluster leads are interchangeable and both have the same wiring colors that does confuse me though you'd think left and right would be different
I've tried swapping them also
Nothing changes so idk
I had to leave for the weekend so I'm going to go back at it with a fresh set of eyes and calm outlook on it Monday
Have to check all fuses like I was recommended to do also
Thanks for the input
Sure is frustrating

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I’d think you’d have other stuff not working if it was just a fuse. The gauges aren’t on a dedicated fuse.

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
NKHIGHWAY ... I had the same issue when I did my bars. I’m betting it’s the 5 amp fuse that’s blown. Several others have had it blow on them as well. There’s a spare in the fuse box.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Guys wanted to give an update...and say THANK YOU for pointing me in the right direction

It was the five amp fuse

Checking fuses is a basic entry level thing to check when dealing with anything electrical but my brain just never went in that direction because the bike was off throughout the swap
But hey you were right...it does make a difference

So I hope this might save someone else the agrivation

First pull the 50 amp fuse or pull the negative terminal... should have done that from the beginning

Anyways seems to be GTG

Be safe out there!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Glad you got it figured out.

Also, don't remove the ignition switch. Just pop off the horseshoe thing instead.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special, 2015 Softail Slim, KTM 500 EXC
6 Posts
Hey Guys wanted to give an update...and say THANK YOU for pointing me in the right direction

It was the five amp fuse

Checking fuses is a basic entry level thing to check when dealing with anything electrical but my brain just never went in that direction because the bike was off throughout the swap
But hey you were right...it does make a difference

So I hope this might save someone else the agrivation

First pull the 50 amp fuse or pull the negative terminal... should have done that from the beginning

Anyways seems to be GTG

Be safe out there!
I just swapped to 14” KST on my 2018 RGS. Same thing. Stereo and fuel pump kick on and no lights on the gauges. Did not remove ignition switch or disconnect battery. Gave up for the night. Did check fuses but maybe I didn’t check all of them. Will recheck switches in the morning. Verified all connections under the gauges were good. Frustrating as hell.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I just swapped to 14” KST on my 2018 RGS. Same thing. Stereo and fuel pump kick on and no lights on the gauges. Did not remove ignition switch or disconnect battery. Gave up for the night. Did check fuses but maybe I didn’t check all of them. Will recheck switches in the morning. Verified all connections under the gauges were good. Frustrating as hell.
Re check the fuses. There is a 5 amp fuse that’s usually the problem. If it’s not the fuse and the center gauges are the only thing not working and everything else is it really can’t be anything but the plug. Check the DTC codes. It’s should at least let you know where to look. Should give you an open fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re check the fuses. There is a 5 amp fuse that’s usually the problem. If it’s not the fuse and the center gauges are the only thing not working and everything else is it really can’t be anything but the plug. Check the DTC codes. It’s should at least let you know where to look. Should give you an open fault.
Much thanks will check tomorrow. Only getting stereo, headlights and other lights nothing working on the switches on the bars. Hoping it’s the fuse.

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
@Toalster13 … as Craig mentioned, more times then not it’s the 5A fuse that’s blown. Same thing happened when I did a bar swap. I went to bed late and got up early the next morning to find that fuse blown. Sometimes it’s best to walk away. BTW welcome to the Forum from West Covina. Go on over to the New Member section and introduce yourself for a proper welcome.

Reactions: Toalster13

·
Registered
6 Posts
Much thanks will check tomorrow. Only getting stereo, headlights and other lights nothing working on the switches on the bars. Hoping it’s the fuse.
So I couldn’t help myself I went out and pulled that five amp and it was indeed blown I have not tried to start it yet but would imagine it’s going to start just fine. Thank you so much for the help I don’t know why I didn’t check that fuse

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
Awesome !! Next time just pull the main fuse before messing with any wiring.

Reactions: craigffb
1 - 20 of 21 Posts