Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So during the course of replacing my handlebars, my technician /helper tells me that my bike does NOT have an Induction Module Plug which is stock. I have just over 10,000 miles on my scoot and it has been running great without this Plug. Throttle response has always been fantastic, until we installed a new induction Module Plug as a part of finishing the handlebar install. Now the thing dies out and goes limp at every stoplight or if the speed drops below 15 mph.

I plan to remove the newly installed Induction Module Plug. But I'm wondering if anyone else has intentionally run their scoot without this Plug and what problems might I be creating by doing it. Thanks in advance.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
What part are you referring to when saying "Induction Module Plug"? An electrical connection of some sort for the Throttle Control Actuator or is it possibly the rubber cap for the Purge Tube Fitting, item # 11 in the attached drawing, on top of the Induction Module? If yes to item # 11, I wonder if your bike was tuned without the cap/plug in place and with it in place the bike is running richer and needs to be re-tuned? Just thinking out loud here..............

[/IMG]

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
+1 on retune. I did some searchs on this and the rule was "if the part is changed it will have to be re-tuned".

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You might get away with simply reseting the ECM by either disconnecting the battery or pulling the ECM fuse for 30 minutes or so. This will reset the ECM and should reset the throttle plate angle at idle to it's baseline. The bike will then have to re-learn those base settings.
I'm surprised the ECM hasn't thrown a code for a throttle position sensor out of range or something similar.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What part are you referring to when saying "Induction Module Plug"? An electrical connection of some sort for the Throttle Control Actuator or is it possibly the rubber cap for the Purge Tube Fitting, item # 11 in the attached drawing, on top of the Induction Module? If yes to item # 11, I wonder if your bike was tuned without the cap/plug in place and with it in place the bike is running richer and needs to be re-tuned? Just thinking out loud here..............

[/IMG]

Great news! Triplej had the issue correctly assessed. The black rubber cap referred to by Triplej as the Purge Tube Fitting and by my technician as the Induction Module Plug was the problem. My bike was running fine until the plug/cap was installed. We removed it Saturday morning and the bike immediately started to run great ... The way it had been before the item was installed. The parts guy at the dealership said the plug sometimes falls off. However I believe my bike was tuned and dyno'ed without the plug because I never noticed any change in performance until it was installed.

Thanks so much for the advice. You guys contribute greatly to the value of this site for us all. Hope you had a blessed Easter.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Wouldn't running the bike without the plug allow for dirt to get into the intake and in the engine. It would seem that the plug is there to stop air from coming in and if it is removed unfiltered air is being drawn into the system.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Wouldn't running the bike without the plug allow for dirt to get into the intake and in the engine. It would seem that the plug is there to stop air from coming in and if it is removed unfiltered air is being drawn into the system.
I agree and think the OP should install the plug and retune the bike with the plug in place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts