Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got tired of my windshield vibrating and rattling at idle and really leaning back toward me at speed. I have an anniversary 14" HD shield mounted with the HD Road glide chrome trim piece. I decided this afternoon to do something about it.

I searched the forum for different ideas and decided that none of them actually took into account the chrome trim. So, I pulled the windshield and outer fairing with the intention to just wing it.

Once I had everything off, I looked at it for a few minutes and thought that I could use the mounting studs from the chrome trim kit and just add a couple of washers and some lock nuts. It worked great!

I used 5 3/16x1" flat washers on the outside of the windshield and 5 3/16x1/2" flat washers on the inside of the fairing with the nylon lock nuts. I hard mounted the windshield before returning it to its proper place on the front of the bike. Then I just reinstalled my chrome trim. It's amazing the difference it made getting rid of those awful well nuts. I'll post pics as I complete the project.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Funny......a buddy & I have been kicking around idea on how to mount the shields without well nuts for a while now.........First thoughts were similar to what you've done but we're still wanting to make it an option to be able to change the shield without removing the outter to do it........Got busy & side-barred the thought.....maybe we need to get back to busy!! LOL!!!!

Nice job though!!!! I too despise those well nuts!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jetman, there are several threads on the forum about mounting the shield without the well nuts. There is one in particular that comes to mind that does allow for changing the windshield without removing the fairing. The method used something like an ARP carburetor stud hard mounted to the fairing and then you just mount the windshield using acorn nuts or threaded spikes. It look really good but since I have the chrome trim it was not an option for me.

I like the idea of not having to remove the fairing to change the windshield, but that will take a bit of engineering with the trim in place. I'm still working on it though.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I wonder if you could use a speed nut and then a neoprene washer between the speed nut and the windshield to prevent rubbing........

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
To begin with the windshield trim cause paint damage to the outer fairing over time so you may want to reconsider using the trim. It cost me $350 to repaint my outer fairing because of the damage caused by the windshield trim.
If you do a search you will find that you can mount the RG windshield without wellnuts and this is how I did it. http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=16716&highlight=mounted+windshield+wellnuts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input Ironmark. Your post was actually the one that I was thinking about when I posted earlier. I appreciate your insight on the trim, but it works for me and it is my bike so I will take the chance. It's been on the bike since it was new and I have no sign of paint damage. Maybe you just had yours installed incorrectly.

Ironmark's solution is pretty cool though if you want to have the option of a quick change on the shield. With his mounting points just pulle the 5 nuts and change the shield. It should be a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Metal wellnuts will expand and CRACK :eek: the fairing, that is why HD used rubber wellnuts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amazing results

So I got everything back together this morning and took the Roadie out for a test ride. It's amazing the difference the hard mount makes. An almost complete reduction in vibration and rattle at idle and the there's no more rearward flex at speed. Best thing I've done to the bike in a while.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I did not have the trim on wrong what happens is the rubber gasket shrinks from age and the elements and eventually the trim will rub on the fairing, this is a common problem.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Metal wellnuts will expand and CRACK :eek: the fairing, that is why HD used rubber wellnuts.
You may be right, I never used them but he had them on a fairing for 2 years without a problem, they were for the wings that go on the side of an aftermarket fairing that was fiberglass maybe that was the difference, I don't see them expanding that much. Maybe they just don't have any give to account for vibration and pressure from the wind.

Jay

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I have actually thought about was welding nyloc nuts to some 3/4" washers and then glassing them on the inside of the fairing. This would add strength to the faring as well as keep the windshield change quick. I haven't made it that far yet, but had to do something. The rubber well nuts had to go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did not have the trim on wrong what happens is the rubber gasket shrinks from age and the elements and eventually the trim will rub on the fairing, this is a common problem.
Well, I've had mine on for 3 years and not the first mark on the paint. I do take mine off a couple times a year to completely clean and wax the bike. I have also done maintenance on the rubber around the trim. I have had to silicone it and add a little contact cement in a couple areas to keep it in place. Otherwise, I guess I'm just lucky then. But the trim looks a hell of a sight better than the plain rubber trim.

I think I'll keep my chrome.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It has been years ago since I was in the US Air Force, but we had Jets that had access panels on them. The panels were held in place by what we called "Nut Plates". The were strips of 'nut' held in place by.....yes....strips.
The nuts were distibuted by the necessary length of holes....and could move ever so slightly to be aligned with the screw or bolt being inserted.
I don't see why the same thing could not be done with a Road Glide, oe ElectraGlide for that matter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts