Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strangest thing...

2018 RGS

I don’t have any power for the Right Turn Signal at the connector under the seat or at the main connector going into the fairing. I literally just got the bike back from the Tuner so my first thought was that he accidentally disabled the signal somehow, but he said that he didn’t. I don’t know if that is even possible to deactivate on the ECM during a tune or otherwise, but I know that he said he disabled the o2 sensors and I didn’t know that was possible either.

He said a dash light came on while it was on the dyno. He looked it up and found it was a “light problem”. He assumed it was a bulb issue and forgot to mention it when I picked it up. Can’t be a bulb issue... all lights on the bike are LEDs, and all the rears are lit up for running and get brighter with brakes applied.

I used an electrical tester and the Left Turn and Running light posts are active in both connectors, and the Brake signal post lights up in the rear when the pedal is pressed, but the post for the Right Turn is dead at both connectors.

I didn’t see any issues with the harness and don’t see any fuses that are dedicated to turn signals. I do have the bike tore down to the bones with all the gauges and fairing harness disconnected, but I can’t imagine that having the gauges and head unit disconnected would impact the main harness power to just the Right Turn Signal.

Since I have the ThunderMax sitting around I’ll plug that in tomorrow in place of the ECM and see if that has an impact, but other than that, all I can think of is to check the connection at the BCM and reinspect the wiring harness. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
My recommendation is to check again after everything is plugged in and in any situation, always check the fuses even if you think they are good or have nothing to do with the issue.

·
Registered
658 Posts
With the bike having a BCM, it's going to be hard to find the true cause of the problem with some many things disconnected. I wouldn't stress it too much until the bike is back together. Just pay attention to all of the connections and plugs while reassembling, clear all the codes once it's back together and then see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll plug everything back in tomorrow, just with no tins or plastics on it and see if that fixes it. If memory serves, the hazard lights don’t work with some combination of components unplugged. Maybe the right turn signals are the same way. Fingers crossed, cuz I’ve spent about 5 hours looking at wires trying to find a kink or rub or break... nothing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Chasing electrical gremlins is such a pain, I can't stand it. I'd rather skin every knuckle cranking wrenches than chase electrical for 5 hours. I hope you find the issue

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CRAZY! Plugged everything back in within the plastics or tins, and the right turn signal works just fine. I’m glad that there doesn’t actually appear to be an electrical problem, but it’s amazing the the plug sitting literally 6 inches from the BCM gets power for the left but not the right unless all the plugs 5 feet away are plugged in to close the circuit. It’s like working with Christmas lights LOL

As a quick aside, anyone know the process for resetting the flashers to slow with the LEDs? I think I lucked into doing it last year because following the hazards for x seconds didn’t work as I recall, and after everything has been unplugged it needs to be reset again.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
CRAZY! Plugged everything back in within the plastics or tins, and the right turn signal works just fine. I’m glad that there doesn’t actually appear to be an electrical problem, but it’s amazing the the plug sitting literally 6 inches from the BCM gets power for the left but not the right unless all the plugs 5 feet away are plugged in to close the circuit. It’s like working with Christmas lights LOL

As a quick aside, anyone know the process for resetting the flashers to slow with the LEDs? I think I lucked into doing it last year because following the hazards for x seconds didn’t work as I recall, and after everything has been unplugged it needs to be reset again.
I believe its ignition on turn on the flashers then turn the ignition off. Flashers will still flash. X seconds. Longer wont hurt. Turn the ignition on and shut off the flashers.

Should be good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts