Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a HK stereo from a member here who, for now, will remain nameless. Hahaha
I installed the HK in my 07 Street Glide and although the unit powered up there was no sound coming out (B2017). The guy I got it from (still nameless) said it worked when he took it off the bike so it must have happened in transit. The dealer said it is dead and "Nameless" is satisfied with me holding the bag.

I see Iron Cross fixes them for $250!! Any other ideas from any of you smart folks?

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I bought a HK stereo from a member here who, for now, will remain nameless. Hahaha
I installed the HK in my 07 Street Glide and although the unit powered up there was no sound coming out (B2017). The guy I got it from (still nameless) said it worked when he took it off the bike so it must have happened in transit. The dealer said it is dead and "Nameless" is satisfied with me holding the bag.

I see Iron Cross fixes them for $250!! Any other ideas from any of you smart folks?
Wasn't the package insured ? I always insure when selling and shipping.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't the package insured ? I always insure when selling and shipping.
I don't believe so but the PO said the package said the package was undamaged so the insurance wouldn't pay.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I don't believe so but the PO said the package said the package was undamaged so the insurance wouldn't pay.
They still pay, at least they use to.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Does the 07 still have a speaker select switch? 0:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Switch

This is on a Street Glide. Nope, no switch.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
This is on a Street Glide. Nope, no switch.

I thought the older Street Glides were like the older Road Glides. The switch was there, even though there were no rear speakers. My wife's 08 has a switch, and she's constantly flipping it down, when she cleans her bike. :laugh:

·
Registered
8,606 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought the older Street Glides were like the older Road Glides. The switch was there, even though there were no rear speakers. My wife's 08 has a switch, and she's constantly flipping it down, when she cleans her bike. :laugh:
My Ultra Classic had the switch but it had the Tour Pak on. I didn't know a bike without a Tour Pak had the rear switch.
Thanks for the info, though, PGR.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. Head unit and amp powered up operated as designed, but I had no sound from my speakers. It turned out that even when I connected the power line from my amp to the wrong side of the battery it had enough juice the light up the amp and I guess the head unit, but created a low-voltage condition to the speakers. Low-voltage resulted in no sound. I switched the power-line to the other terminal and VIOLA'!!!!!.....clean and LOUD music from my speakers! Now I'm a total noobie neophyte at this, never have had the opportunity or the notion to do ANYTHING audio-related to any of my bikes or cages...and I'm still learning as I go along, but this wonderful forum and other enthusiast forums and some fine folks on the tech-lines of some sponsors have been a great help to me. I don't know if this'll help, but my thoughts are to check and triple check all of your connections. I know you said the dealer told you the unit was dead...let's just hope they were wrong and maybe just wanted to sell you something new and that your issue is a connection/low voltage related issue. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Is there a amp in the bike? If you do the speakers won't work if the amp has no power so check the fuses and power connections on the amp if you have one.
There may also be a wiring problem on the SG did you try pulling the outer of the RG and hooking the radio up to the RG to see if the radio works?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

I had the same thing happen to me. Head unit and amp powered up operated as designed, but I had no sound from my speakers. It turned out that even when I connected the power line from my amp to the wrong side of the battery it had enough juice the light up the amp and I guess the head unit, but created a low-voltage condition to the speakers. Low-voltage resulted in no sound. I switched the power-line to the other terminal and VIOLA'!!!!!.....clean and LOUD music from my speakers! Now I'm a total noobie neophyte at this, never have had the opportunity or the notion to do ANYTHING audio-related to any of my bikes or cages...and I'm still learning as I go along, but this wonderful forum and other enthusiast forums and some fine folks on the tech-lines of some sponsors have been a great help to me. I don't know if this'll help, but my thoughts are to check and triple check all of your connections. I know you said the dealer told you the unit was dead...let's just hope they were wrong and maybe just wanted to sell you something new and that your issue is a connection/low voltage related issue. Good luck!
I'm glad you got your issue solved. I don't have an amp so I don't have your problem. I wish it was that easy. I have tried plugging and un-plugging it, to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion though.:grin:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good Idea

Is there a amp in the bike? If you do the speakers won't work if the amp has no power so check the fuses and power connections on the amp if you have one.
There may also be a wiring problem on the SG did you try pulling the outer of the RG and hooking the radio up to the RG to see if the radio works?
First, no amp. I wish I could pin point it there. I didn't pull my RG fairing to check it without another reason. I assumed (yes I know! LOL) that the same code would pop up, but I might try it. I do appreciate your suggestion though.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone Else

I've tried the suggestions y'all have given, but no dice. I'm hoping somebody can help out. I hate to be stuck with unserviceable equipment...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts