Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding into work this morning the radio sounded like it clipped in and out once and I lost sound completely. I am running the stock HK head unit, RF PBR300x4 amp, 4 x POLK 6.5. It’s been in since last summer, the gain was adjusted to 5 when it was first installed and I was experiencing the clipping in and out periodically at higher volumes. I reduced the gain to 4 and it has been playing fine since March. From reading the issues on this forum with this amp, I believe that the amp is dead or at least dying but wanted to see if there were any tests that I could conduct to validate that assumption instead of it being the head unit. The head unit is still displaying as normal but there is just no sound.

If the amp is toast, what are recommendations for running the 4 speakers?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Blown fuse on the amp or a bad ground will cause your problem. Check your ground connection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had a chance to pull the fairing but I did check the in line fuse. The fuse has burn marks on the connector, the metal is raise but not blown. At this point I think the fuse did not blow and unless there is a fuse built into the amp, it might be dead.

Now the real question is what could have occurred to cause this problem? The power is run from the battery to the amp, the radio is connected through the stock speaker wires and the four speakers are connected to the amp. The amp is set at HP and the gains are at 4.5.

I am not great with the wiring aspects, what could have caused the issue at hand. I know I was sitting in traffic that morning and the engine did get hot, could that heat have caused the issue with the fuse since the in line fuse is under the seat near the majority of the engine heat?

·
Registered
111 Posts
A fuse can look OK but be bad, check it with an Ohm meter of put a known good fuse in.

Discolored or melting of a fuse holder means excessive current has been flowing in circuit. Not enough current to blow the fuse right away but enough to eventually cause a problem. Heat from the motor would not cause this issue unless the fuse holder was actually touching the engine.

If a new fuse works but eventually blows again then suspect the amp.

[email protected]

·
Registered
516 Posts
What gauge wire is ran to the amplifier? If the wire is undersized it can cause increased amperage draw to compensate for voltage drop... check the wiring between the amp and the battery make sure the wire didn't get damaged....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
What gauge wire is ran to the amplifier? If the wire is undersized it can cause increased amperage draw to compensate for voltage drop... check the wiring between the amp and the battery make sure the wire didn't get damaged....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I am curious! Why would anyone run a gauge wire to the amp. The amps main power wires should be hooked directly to the battery. The Accessory plug in the headlight is used to activate the amp when the volume is over a certain setting not as a main power source.
Sounds like a bad ground, a bad ground will cause the wiring to overheat.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Best way to check is to remove the outer fairing and remove the amp from the ckt or temporarily attach the output of the HU to the speakers, many things could have gone wrong to cause the amp to die that have nothing to do with the fuse.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If the amp still powers up but no sound you may have a blown speaker. A direct short in the speakers coil wil cause the amp to power up and have no output. Unplugg the speakers one at a time and see if it comes back into it. Clipping is probably the worst thing for a speaker to see. The coil in the speaker will heat up and melt causing the amp to lose output. The fuse definetly shouldn't be burnt at all. That could be under-fused or wire too small. I'd lean towards under-fused. What amp are you running? What size fuse is on the amp, if any?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts