Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a Madstad (13" +1 DS) for my 12 RGC after reading all the reviews from you fellow Gliders, maybe I am one of the exceptions to the rule around here. I am between 5'9" - 5'10" with a 30-31 inseam. I have tried every position up/down (with still being able to see over the shield) forward/backward (max's out at 61 deg) and can't find this "sweet spot" everyone talks about. Granted it reduces buffeting better then my splitter but after reading all these posts on here I was thinking I would be able to wear a ball cap forward at 35+mph without it moving. My sunglasses don't even stay in place without shaking every now and then. Now I do know some of you have GADS and lowers, however I am wondering who experiences the no buffeting euphoria without them. I do have the deflectors under the fairing. I also wonder if local weather has anything to do with it? I live in an area in SOAZ that experiences 10-20+ mph winds daily this time of year. Not sure how much of that side wind affects my buffeting? I figured I'd be able to tell the difference between side/head wind. Maybe not, I dont know. Im just pretty disappointed and may be returning it and buying a different shield.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm 5,11 31 inseam. Put it at chin to bottom of nose level and at 57-59 degrees. I move mine up and down for more air when needed. Take your time and you will find it. I had to move mine around a lot.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My sweet spot is at 50 degrees, at this angle I can ride at low speeds with it all the way down then if I'm on the highway I raise it up about halfway unless it's raining or real windy then I raise it up all the way. I'm 6'1", 34" inseam and have the 14.5 shield. To be honest it helps m wife more than me but I do feel a huge difference from the LRS mako I had before and 10 times better than the stock shield. Once you find the correct angle mark it.

Jay

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I ride is AZ all the time, I snowbird there for the winter and I am stuck in AZ right now because of some health issues.
There is nothing that will prevent buffeting from the side winds, windshields and other gadgets help mostly with head on winds.
I tried all the gadgets and the best solution I came up with was a 14 inch Windvest and the hard vented fairing lowers with the HD wind deflectors in by the forks. I am 5'9 with a 30 inch inseam.
I never did try the Mastad so I don't know anything about it besides many of the forum members like it.
IMO no windshield will help with the buffeting that much until you solve the air flow that comes from below the upper fairing and the only thing that works the best is the hard fairing lowers.
Good luck!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just put the 13" DS Madstad back on for the wife. 57* angle and fully up. No buffeting for the wife or I, just a cool breeze. I feel the most wind on my elbows. If I keep it, I'm gonna get the new robo brackets. The shield is at lower lip level on stock RGU sofa. I'm 6' and 32" inseam. It's a little bit better than the 14" windvest I had. I loved it, but she did get some head bobbing. ( not the kind I like :D :rolleyes: :p)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
when I first got mine I was a little disappointed not getting that sweet spot, but like you it just happened to be an extremely windy month and I was getting all kinds of side wind, as time went on and I played with it I finally found nirvana

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
As others have said nothing will stop side winds. And frankly I ride a motorcycle because I want the wind. That said the Madstad works great for long thrips like the 3200 mile ride I just finished. Keep playing with it, you will find the right height and angle.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
I like the Sancho wings along with the two HD deflectors, (dog dish & crashbar baffles). With those I can ride up to 50 mph with a baseball cap on forward. Madstad up to my lips and at about 57 degrees.
Heavy side winds , you just deal with.

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you want to wear a ball cap forward you need lowers, the crash bar deflectors and about any 12" + windshield. Works for me about 90% of the time anyway. As far as buffeting goes I can't help. I don't get it and I don't have a passenger to complain about it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The 13" madstad is my 4th shield. It will not stop the side winds IMHO no shield will. However, for us it is the best shield I've been behind. It is better w/ or w/o hard lowers and deflectors. I move mine around depending on the road. For the interstate I'm all the way up and around 59*.For riding around mostly under 60 mph . it's about 2" lower and same angle. I'm 6' 32" inseam and I only adjust for 2 up touring. I leave it wherever it is when solo. Also ,I greatly prefer the ride with the hard vented lowers on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the help. I completely understand the windshield will not get rid of side wind. I only mentioned that to consider the crosswind as a potential reason as to why i am unable to find the sweet spot. I have contacted Mark and will be emailing back and forth to help my situation. At the end of the day it is possible the winds i deal with wont allow me accurately adjust the shield and therefore render the shield ineffective. In the meantime I will keep trying...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I would try and start with the windshield all the way up and all the way forward this position should really block most of the wind, and then work it down and back, or go all the way down and back, this way you have an idea of the extremes and that will help you find a middle point. The shield also might be a little too small, I am 5'7.5" I actually went from a 13 to an 11, the 13 worked fine but I couldn't adjust the height to a good spot, so if your a couple of inches taller maybe its too small?

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
If you want to wear a ball cap forward you need lowers, the crash bar deflectors and about any 12" + windshield. Works for me about 90% of the time anyway. As far as buffeting goes I can't help. I don't get it and I don't have a passenger to complain about it.
Nope, didn't have my lowers on. Rode all over Daytona area with a baseball cap on forward.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Keep at it. It took several months to dial mine in. After I got it perfect I began to notice more wind coming from below and hitting my chin. I bought some inexpensive wind deflectors which attach to my turn signals. The Madstad does its job but takes a bit of trial, error and patience.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Keep at it. It took several months to dial mine in. After I got it perfect I began to notice more wind coming from below and hitting my chin. I bought some inexpensive wind deflectors which attach to my turn signals. The Madstad does its job but takes a bit of trial, error and patience.
Do you have a link or info on these deflectors? I have the same wind and while I like it now when it gets below 40* I'll be trying to eliminate it.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Do you have a link or info on these deflectors? I have the same wind and while I like it now when it gets below 40* I'll be trying to eliminate it.
I can't remember who makes them. I'll take a photo when I get home tonight and post it. I'm sure someone will recognize them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I appreciate all the help. I completely understand the windshield will not get rid of side wind. I only mentioned that to consider the crosswind as a potential reason as to why i am unable to find the sweet spot. I have contacted Mark and will be emailing back and forth to help my situation. At the end of the day it is possible the winds i deal with wont allow me accurately adjust the shield and therefore render the shield ineffective. In the meantime I will keep trying...

I'm right next door to you in Southern CAL and have noticed the winds being real choppy lately and blowing in all different directions. I've had the Madstad on the bike for about a year now and will tell you that as good as the MS is, you won't find a sweet spot with the kind of winds we are getting lately. Was coming home last Saturday from San Diego on the freeway and thought my Madstad had been repositioned without me knowing it. I was getting a lot of buffeting and ended up feeling kind of beat up after only 80 miles due to the winds. Hang in there and you will get the shield dialed in once the winds die down.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Here ya go. I can't remember who makes them but I'm sure someone else will. Sorry so dirty but I just got back from a small road trip.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm right next door to you in Southern CAL and have noticed the winds being real choppy lately and blowing in all different directions. I've had the Madstad on the bike for about a year now and will tell you that as good as the MS is, you won't find a sweet spot with the kind of winds we are getting lately. Was coming home last Saturday from San Diego on the freeway and thought my Madstad had been repositioned without me knowing it. I was getting a lot of buffeting and ended up feeling kind of beat up after only 80 miles due to the winds. Hang in there and you will get the shield dialed in once the winds die down.
Good to know, thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
11in Madstad

I don't worry about the angle of the windshield. I set it below my eyesight and as I ride hold my hand out to judge where the airflow is going. The Madstad takes care of the flow over the fairing but you need lowers, doggy dish, or Gads to help control flow from the lower half but your still at the mercy of crosswinds.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts