Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone got incoming sms text messages to their phone to display on the HD boom 6.5 radio?

Also does the HD boom 6.5 radio auto-reply feature work when it's connected to your phone?

If any or both of these features work, what phone are you using?

Anyone with an iPhone have either feature working?

How about Samsung Galaxy phones?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Has anyone got incoming sms text messages to their phone to display on the HD boom 6.5 radio?

Also does the HD boom 6.5 radio auto-reply feature work when it's connected to your phone?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, and I've used this once or twice while connected via bluetooth to test it out. I didn't have any problems with using it, tho (hopefully needless to say) if you're going to edit the auto-reply message, do it while you're parked.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
No issues with the Droid Turbo. It'll auto reply with the custom message I set up. It will show an icon in the bottom of the screen unless I'm in Nav mode. Then I don't know if I got a text unless I flip over to another mode.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an iPhone 6+ and have been able to get SMS messages since my iPhone 5 days. Only thing that doesn't work is the auto-reply...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2015 RGS, It will show an icon that you have a text message, but you will not be able to read it until you are stopped. It won't let you read it while riding.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Chrome dome, Do us all a favor and learn how the system works...you can't use this function while riding! ;)

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I have a 2015 RGS, It will show an icon that you have a text message, but you will not be able to read it until you are stopped. It won't let you read it while riding.
+1 what he said
We can't read them but it will read them to you in the voice of the Navi chick. Kinda funny getting a text from a guy and hearing a female voice read it to you.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Chrome dome, Do us all a favor and learn how the system works...you can't use this function while riding! ;)
I really don't care how you're little telephone with wheels works. What I care about is that you or any other texting piece of shit pay full attention to driving, and not kill me when I'm riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really don't care how you're little telephone with wheels works. What I care about is that you or any other texting piece of shit pay full attention to driving, and not kill me when I'm riding a motorcycle.

Yeah, that was the point that we are all making and you are too dense to understand.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've done some research on this, and *think* I figured out the problem. The bad news, is there is no "fix" and there likely never will be. That said, there is an easy work around.

Without getting too technical, the problem is on Apple's end, not HD's nor Harman Kardon's. Apparently, Apple will not allow third party software into the phone, which would be required to have the Auto Reply work. That kinda sucks, but it's also why iPhone's don't get viruses, and Android phones do. It's slightly more involved than that, but close enough for this discussion.

So, here's the work around. Be advised this will only work if the iPhone is plugged in via the USB, and you are using the Harley hardwired headset. I also wear a full face helmet, so it's very quiet even at freeway speeds. No guarantee this will work if you wear an open face helmet, and have a bunch of wind noise. Not a problem for me, that's how I roll anyway.

When you get a text, just use Siri to read it to you, and send a reply if you chose to. Your hands never have to leave the bars, even to hit the joystick controls, and you can keep your eyes on the road. When you know you have received a text (either the music volume temporally lowers, or you see the icon) just speak into the mic, "Hey Siri, read text". Siri reads it to you through the headset, tells you who sent it, and then gives you the option to reply, or not. If you choose to reply, just say what you want to say, she reads it back to you, and you confirm by saying, "Yes".

I just tested it, and it works perfectly. It's actually easier that toggling through the joystick menus, and safer than HD's method of sending the canned auto reply...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep that's how I roll too, usually.

Actually once you connect to the boom system via a headset, most of your complaints will likely fall by the wayside and it's much safer.

For those like me that hate a wired headset and have realized that HD will probably never offer Bluetooth protocols in the boom system, there's a pretty simply way to wire a Sena SR10 into the boom P&A connector which will give you Bluetooth command and control of the system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Messaging while riding...

First things first... i do NOT condone anyone texting while driving, be it on a bike or in a car.. I was blasted from behind by a guy in a truck txting and it totally destroyed my 17 RGU put me in the hospital for 8 days and 1 major surgery, and then put me out of work for 3 months... with that said i did enjoy the fact that i could sync my galaxy 7 to my bike and when i got a txt it auto replied and my wife knew i was in transit home.... I have hada bit of a prob getting my Iphone X r to do what my galaxy did..but it will work, just go to page 94-95 in the audio manual and do what it says and you will be able to get it all..... sorry if this was long winded or if some of you already figured it out..but it might hopefully help others be blessed all....PS ... the 17 was replaced with a brand new 18 RGU... sweet!!!!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I've had a Note 5, S7 Edge, S8+ and a Note 8 hooked up to my bike and I have the auto reply set up. Works like a champ. Mine replies with "I'm riding if this is important call me."

If I see a call come through I'll pull over and call them. Now I have the Sena S20 it's a non issue. They can call and I just answer.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Samsung S8 works

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a BlackBerry
I've never seen a text message but she does send a text saying "Charlotte and I are spending some time together"
If its important people we call back otherwise twist the throttle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts