Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a service recall on the connection from the throttle
to the EFI on 09 and later models? I had a problem in Daytona with the throttle not responding. The Tech from HD looked at it read the codes and said there was a service bulletin on this type of problem. It had to do with the connector at the throttle body. If you know of the service bulletin please respond.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Did this just happen out of the blue or had you done some throttle work? I ask because your ECM may have thrown a code that forced the bike into "limp home mode" where it just puts along at idle speed. When the code is cleared, (which you can do yourself) the bike will run fine unless the problem that caused it persists.

It happened to me before my Alaska trip and once since. Both times were due to oil blow back from the throttle body behind the air cleaner. In my case, traces of oil made its way into the ECM connector just behind the filter. I removed and reinstalled the connecter repeatedly to wipe and dry the oil away and rode on with no further problems. Cleaned my air filter when I got home.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had the same issue with my 13 RGC. I checked with Zipper's because I have the TMax ECM and they said there was a service bulletin with the pins on the throttle actuator control behind the breather. HD says there isn't a recall so they don't have an answer, even though I believe there is a service bulletin. The DIAG code that I got was P1511 - Throttle actuator control power management failure. It happened twice when starting the bike cold. I simply turned off the bike and restarted and the throttle responded. Clean the connection at the back of the breather and use dielectric grease to seal the connection. Worked for me.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I had the same issue with my 13 RGC. I checked with Zipper's because I have the TMax ECM and they said there was a service bulletin with the pins on the throttle actuator control behind the breather. HD says there isn't a recall so they don't have an answer, even though I believe there is a service bulletin. The DIAG code that I got was P1511 - Throttle actuator control power management failure. It happened twice when starting the bike cold. I simply turned off the bike and restarted and the throttle responded. Clean the connection at the back of the breather and use dielectric grease to seal the connection. Worked for me.
+1, I had the same problem once, restarting the bike seems to cure it.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Check the troubleshooting section and READ the STICKYS they will tell you all about your problem and give you the fixes.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
As Shrug said, unplug/plug the connector several times to clean the corrosion off the contacts. Then, before plugging on the last time fill the plug with a generous dose of dielectric grease to prevent any future corrosion issues.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Its an on-going problem and from what I can find there is no clear cut "fix" for the problem. H-D did a small service notice,.. but not a recall on them. They say you need part number 72663-11 to fix the problem,.. but it doesn't. I have had this problem since my bike was new, and tried to do everything to fix it. Most times its fine,.. but every now and then I will be cruising down the road and the bike will just go into limp mode. Most times I will shut if off, clear the codes, and be good again. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes before the bike is ready to go again. I have talked to dozens of dealers, and all of them agree that there is a problem because its common, but no one knows the cure.

For the time being, do like the rest of us. Shut your bike off, clear the codes (I don't find it helps 100% of the time) then try to just keep going. Then trade your Harley in for a new Indian when they come out ;) j/k

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
And people think I'm crazy because I would love to convert back to a cable. 30 yrs of riding and I've never ever had a problem with cable operated throttle. I've not owned any FBW vehicle (FLTRX and a corvette) which has not had problems...

This FBW shit is Harley's method to use to avoid Warranty claims due to weak crank design. Hence soft hit (or sluggish response off idle in the first 3 gears).

My opinion... but torque management is nothing new and Chevy does the same thing to keep owners from blowing up transmissions and rear ends in trucks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I guess it could be different for others, but anybody I know that has actually had the problem it has been cured by cleaning the connector and using the dielectric grease.

As for slow throttle response, I removed the green connector and direct-wired it. My throttle is instantaneous and the bike leaves the whole like it's ass is on fire!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Happened to me (no throttle response). Twist grip sensor replaced under warranty. No problems since.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a boat load of TBW issuses with my 011. It would go full throttle on its own, then engine light would come on. It would go no throttle with no acceleration, when this happened, sometimes the engine light would come on, sometimes not. Everything has been replaced : the ECM, all sensors, the TBW harness was replaced with the SE Harness, even the ABS sensors. The thing that was replaced last seemed to be the issue, and that was the throttle body. 5 k miles since replacing the throttle body and no issues. Every thing except the throttle body was replaced under HD warranty. The throttle body was replaced under an EPA warranty. The EPA requires all manufacturers of vehicles to replace any defective emissions or fuel components of vehicles less than four years old with 18,000 miles or less.
The HD dealer did tell me, if anything related happened again they would put me in touch with the HD lemon law rep. I did send a letter to HD CEO, explaining the the TBW was just unsafe. They did not reply to me, but did repond to the dealer. I did mention that the dealer had went above and beyond to assist me in making it right. But that I did not think the technology had been prefected enough to make the TBW safe and reliable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts