Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently I started making a habit of actually riding while NOT listening to music, just so I can start listening to how my engine is running...and I started noticing a noise which sounds like its coming from my fuel tank. Now, this Road Glide was just purchased brand new 3 months ago. Its a 2011 Road Glide Ultra. The sound is kind of like...oh i dunno, sounds like there's a loose bb or something inside the tank.

A little bit of background. About a month ago, I swapped tanks. Just the tank, not the insides.... I removed the insides (and followed close close attention to the manual, and put them inside the new tank. Everything went smoothly. To the best of my knowledge, there are no bolts or washers inside the tanks guts. Mostly plastic pieces. I havent tried listening to the bike when it had a full tank of gas... I just noticed the sound yesterday, and the tank had only a 1/4 left of fuel.

Other than the tank swap, I did have my 1000 mile maintenance done a week ago.

Where do you think the sound is coming from? Its like a tingy metal sound... again, sounds like a small bb or end of a wire is tapping or hitting someting.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i read on hdforums that it could be an issue with lower octane and valve chatter (clatter?). i think i have been using mid grade for the last week or so. i do have to fill up my gas tank today, and i'll use the high octane and see if that makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
i read on hdforums that it could be an issue with lower octane and valve chatter (clatter?). i think i have been using mid grade for the last week or so. i do have to fill up my gas tank today, and i'll use the high octane and see if that makes a difference.
Why are you using mid-grade? that's a no-no. I would say never do that.
could be knocking from low octane fuel. also check all of your bolts--make sure nothing is loose. :D

Welcome!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
you can use any grade you want as long as your motor handles it okay. I've used plain 87 regular in my 88 CI for thousands of miles with no problem. As long as it doesn't knock--and a knock won't sound like a BB rattle--don't worry about it.

As far as the mystery noise...you didn't mention whether you hear it all the time or only when you do certain things and that can be important. I had a noise like something was inside my front fender that I would hear every time I came to a stop. Turns out that when the front forks compressed under braking, one of the brake lines contacted my front fender and made a sheetmetal pinging sound. When the bike was sitting still there was all kinds of clearance.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm. yeah, well i have about a 40 mile ride home from work today, i'll def' be listening to when and when it doesnt make the sound. If I remember correctly, it made the noise when I pulled back on the throttle. But again... i'll listen more closely today.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
you can use any grade you want as long as your motor handles it okay. I've used plain 87 regular in my 88 CI for thousands of miles with no problem. As long as it doesn't knock--and a knock won't sound like a BB rattle--don't worry about it..
Never heard of running regular before. I don't think my engine would like it for long term. Any one else running 87 ?

Sent from the Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Your fuel pump is located inside the tank. Could be a loose part.

Edit: In fact, there's a clip that holds the fuel pump in place. It has a "U" shape arm and folds down and around the fuel pump. It could have come unclipped. I'm just sayin'....

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Never heard of running regular before. I don't think my engine would like it for long term. Any one else running 87 ?

. Running 93. With such a small amout of gas needed why wouldnt you run 93 anyway? They run great on it and its not like u need 15 or 20gals of it.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

Steve from TTS MasterTune has tuned his 2011 Road Glide to run on regular. We rode together 2 weeks ago. I took 3.7 gallons and he took 1.9 gallons at the pump. He keeps bragging to me about his great mileage and inexpensive gasoline.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
hmm. yeah, well i have about a 40 mile ride home from work today, i'll def' be listening to when and when it doesnt make the sound. If I remember correctly, it made the noise when I pulled back on the throttle. But again... i'll listen more closely today.
Not to unhijack the thread, but what did you learn on your ride home?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure if my 'noise' problem is the same as yours, but this is what I had:
Purchase 2011 FLTRU in Sept 2010. Rode it home ~ 100 miles (Effingham, IL to Alton, IL) when I was backing it into the garage I heard what sounded like a nut or bolt rattling around in the gas tank, especially when I applied the front brake. I called the dealer and informed them that i thought something was loose in the tank and they said just bring it back and they would have a look. Well, I didn't make back there until Nov (veterans day) and they took it in back to have a look after verifying that it did indeed have a noise that appeared to be in the tank. 30 minutes later they informed me that the rattle I was hearing was something rattling inside the frame (backbone). They removed the tank, took everything out and no loose parts and the noise was still there on the bike. They called the factory to get instructions on how to remove F.O. from the frame and the engineers told them to block off all openings except one particular one and use air pressure to blow it out. It worked and what they retrieved was a piece of tooling from the factory that had broken off and ended up in my frame. They sent the piece back to the Moco to try to find where it broke, but I never heard anything else back from them.
Might be worth a trip to the dealer to let them have a look unless you find the source yourself.

D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Did you figure this out...I started having this sane noise today....then it stopped.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Did you figure this out...I started having this sane noise today....then it stopped.
Never figured it out. I hear once in awhile and kinda think it's relayed to the primary area....but have had it apart and all looks good. I extended my warranty and will drive it til it breaks. Dealer didn't hear anything except for my credit card getting charged for a diagnostic. LOL.

·
Registered
114 Posts
No idea about your "BB" noise. IMO, run the "HI-OCTANE" fuel.
I run 93 octane all the time , still spark knocks like crazy when hot:mad:
Dealer and moco say its normal:eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hypothetically speaking of course...:D

Say you were at the pump and had a momentary lapse of reason (ie. dumb-ass attack), caused by being conditioned to fill up the 38 gallon tank on your pick-up truck with 87, and accidentally filled your Glide tank with 87. And then of course you get the knocking/pinging caused from the lower octane.

Do you drain the tank and send the gas to the lawn mower, or burn it and live with the knock and ping until you can refuel with 93?

Will it cause any type of long-term damage to run a tank of 87? Is it worth draining it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2011 RGU has the same noise. hear it mostly when the throttle is opened up. I swear it is coming from the tank. Have looked everywhere for something loose tinging off the tank but to no avail. Going in for 5k service soon.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hypothetically speaking of course...:D

Say you were at the pump and had a momentary lapse of reason (ie. dumb-ass attack), caused by being conditioned to fill up the 38 gallon tank on your pick-up truck with 87, and accidentally filled your Glide tank with 87. And then of course you get the knocking/pinging caused from the lower octane.

Do you drain the tank and send the gas to the lawn mower, or burn it and live with the knock and ping until you can refuel with 93?

Will it cause any type of long-term damage to run a tank of 87? Is it worth draining it?
Hypothetically speaking, ride it, topping it back off every quarter of a tank. That way you only ride for 50 miles or so on 87, and the octane will raise back up as you add premium.

The bike will ride fine with 87, just don't stress it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts