Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be a no brainier for some, but how long can you leave the negative post off while installing audio? Does it mess with the ECM in a bad way?? I will probably take a few days no more to complete my install where i can connect my battery back to the bike. Is just pulling the negative post off for audio install enough or are there other things to unplug??? I have heard the fuse on the side of the bike has to come out too if unplugged too long??? What's the right and wrong way to start this install?

-Brion

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Just pull the main fuse. It’s best to pull the main fuse before any electrical work.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Once you pull the main fuse you’ve eliminated power to the bike. No need to disconnect the negative cable.

Reactions: SuaveEnvie

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
I know this may be a no brainier for some, but how long can you leave the negative post off while installing audio? Does it mess with the ECM in a bad way?? I will probably take a few days no more to complete my install where i can connect my battery back to the bike. Is just pulling the negative post off for audio install enough or are there other things to unplug??? I have heard the fuse on the side of the bike has to come out too if unplugged too long??? What's the right and wrong way to start this install?

-Brion
Brion, as has been previously stated by mjsdouble, when You pull the Main Fuse you eliminate all electrical power to the bike.
It will be necessary to remove the negative cable when you go to connect the ground supply for Your Audio System as most installers run a ground wire directly from the battery. That is, if You choose to do it this way.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I run the ground wires to the frame ground at the end of the fuel tank.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run the ground wires to the frame ground at the end of the fuel tank.
So for Harleys they don’t ground to battery?? I know cars you don’t. I should grind the black powder coating to metal at that point if that’s the grounding point?? But to be clear, everyone doesn’t ground to battery?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
when you're done and ready to install the fuse, turn on the accessory switch (not the ignition position) to eliminate the surge and avoid throwing a code. (thanks, @Thermodyne )

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
So for Harleys they don’t ground to battery?? I know cars you don’t. I should grind the black powder coating to metal at that point if that’s the grounding point?? But to be clear, everyone doesn’t ground to battery?
in cars it’s fine to ground at the battery. Just no reason to do it since the chassis is a negative path. Saves on wiring in cars. In a motorcycle it’s so short anyway it’s not that big of a deal to just hook directly to the battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts