Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone more knowledgeable give me, and other to come a quick procedure to follow so We don't do something that is not necessary? Or just correct what I have below. For Example:

1) Pull Ignition
2) Remove gauge cluster
3) Loosen Controls
4) Loosen clutch
5) Remove windshield and outer fairing
6) Trace wiring from bars and disconnect
7) Remove Controls
8) Remove Bars & Wiring and install in new Bars
9) Pull riser Pins installed from Factory & install new bars
10) Work backwards from here to one

If anyone could help me and others like me (Never changed FBW bars before) by adding and or changing the above, It would be greatly appreciated. New bars came in yesterday. Cant wait till Friday and start tearing this thing apart.

Thanks
Aaron

·
Registered
103 Posts
Barz

No need to remove shield and outer. It's all under the cluster

·
Registered
83 Posts
no need to pull ignition either. the chrome trim piece around the ignition comes off, turn ignition switch to fork lock and the bezel will slide over the ignition

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No need to remove shield and outer. It's all under the cluster
no need to pull ignition either. the chrome trim piece around the ignition comes off, turn ignition switch to fork lock and the bezel will slide over the ignition
Sweet... Thats what I am talking about. i would have taken both off if not for you guys. Thanks a lot. That will save me tons of time.

AV

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ignition 15 RGS

So tonight I was messing around with my ignition. I can get it on and off easily. I watched a video that showed you could stick a screw driver down the hole and line up with the notches and turn it to unlock. I can turn it and you can hear it click but it does not unlock. Any thoughts?

Thanks

AV

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So tonight I was messing around with my ignition. I can get it on and off easily. I watched a video that showed you could stick a screw driver down the hole and line up with the notches and turn it to unlock. I can turn it and you can hear it click but it does not unlock. Any thoughts?

Is it that the screw driver isn't going into the shaft far enough to turn all the tumblers?

Thanks

AV

·
Registered
566 Posts
You have to get the tumblers aligned correctly to get it to unlock.
And be careful with the tumblers. If you accidentally turn some and not all, then it'll be a pain in the azz getting the ignition assembly back in until you get them all realigned.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And be careful with the tumblers. If you accidentally turn some and not all, then it'll be a pain in the azz getting the ignition assembly back in until you get them all realigned.
I see now that I don't need to remove the ignition to change my bars but still, Just taking it out and playing around with it I could not get it to unlock. I can hear the clicks and can get all of the clicks to accessory but it does not unlock. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Ive probably spent the good part of a couple of hours messing with it. I have it back in now and everything is working properly.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Simplest thing is to turn it to lock. Remove ign. Pull covers. Replace ign hand tight. Unlock. Do work. Turn back to lock. Pull ign. Button it back up. Replace ign tightened up. You can make a tool out of 1/4 copper tubing with a 90 degree bend then flattened and wrapped with electrical tape.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Simplest thing is to turn it to lock. Remove ign. Pull covers. Replace ign hand tight. Unlock. Do work. Turn back to lock. Pull ign. Button it back up. Replace ign tightened up. You can make a tool out of 1/4 copper tubing with a 90 degree bend then flattened and wrapped with electrical tape.
+1 on the hand made tool. FYI I made it for my 2010 and it worked great, but it didn't work on my 2015, so I just used my stock switch.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am done...Sweeeet

Okay well I finished up today. The BRCustom Bars are on. I like em... All together took me about 3 hours. Special thanks to Fred who helped me out a lot.. Here a look.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts