Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What numbers are you all getting on your volt gauge?
My bike is right at 14 (so are most of my 4 wheeled vehicles) but my wifes bike shows around 15 and I don't know what would be too high.

Here is her gauge at idle. bike has less than 1000 miles.

notice my passion for photography....

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
That gauge reads almost exactly what mine does, been showing that since new, but my Power Vision display shows 14.1 all the time, which is about what it should be. So far it's still running.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't know if would be worth mentioning at the 1000 mile service.
if most are reading that high maybe mine is rading too low :eek:

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Check the voltage with an accurate DVM (digital volt meter), the OEM meter isn't always accurate, BTW a constant 15V+ wouldn't be good for the battery.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Since 2006 I had 3 new Harley touring bikes and they all read the same the day I bought them to the day I sold them. If you get something different thats when I would be concerned.

·
Registered
198 Posts
14.4 is what the manual shows but that is at idle. 15 is fine off idle your regulator rectifier will kill the voltage before it boils your battery. Get a reading with a multimeter at idle and about 1/4 throttle. It should stay in the 14-15vdc range

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
10,470 Posts
the gauge error doesn't have to be much to alarm you , mine did today , showed 12 or so at idle ( normally closer to 14 ) , but my digi multimeter at home showed 13.75 at idle with the gauge showing just over 12

JtB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts