Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each year I try to get in one good trip..twice its been just to ride Utah and surrounds, once up to the Black Hills of SD (not during Sturgis week) and twice its been from my home on the North Coast of CA to New Orleans via different routes. Last October was the longest version of the NOLA trip.

I document all my trips in a running blog -http://whitelinesandblacktop.blogspot.com/- but here are some highlights of last Oct.

The route:

Some highlight photos:

Loaded up and about to pull out:

Through Nevada and into Utah there are a lot of bugs:

I took a big tent, one that I can stand up in, as my schedule called for several layover days--in places like Moab -- for sightseeing. Next time I'll take my smaller version of the same tent, as this was a lot to pack, even on a Glide:

The absolute high point of the trip for me was finding Grampa Elliot alone one morning on his corner (Toulouse and Royal) in the French Quarter, and getting to sing Stand By Me with him!

Leaving NOLa on a Sunday a.m., I had no schedule, so on a whim I looked up Gillian Welch's tour schedule on line and lo and behold, she and David Rawlings were playing on Wednesday night in Wichita Kansas. I figured I could easily make it, so I booked a ticket on line and hit the road. Fabulous concert; nice town, Wichita.

I headed up to visit old highschool buddies in Kansas City, and then fired it up for a long run into Salt Lake to visit an old riding buddy who has been down for a few years. Had a good visit and then headed out across the flats towards home. Here is my favorite pic from the whole trip:

This year I'm taking a break to remodel my kitchen, although I may take a short run up the Oregon coast. Next year I'm contemplatin' a run to the east coast. We'll see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep...I decided to take the financial hit and retire at 62. Best decision I ever made. Means I camp more than motel it, and motel 6 it where I can, but I do have the time and I'm trying to use it before I get too old to ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I'm not the only guy who looks for Grandpa Elliot! LOL!! I was there a couple of weeks ago on the same corner. I've been taking his photograph for the past 7 years, I'm into photography and NOLA is an awesome spot capture shots.

I did a blog too while riding across the country last year. It's a great way to document your journey as I probably would have forgotten details. I'll check your blog out in a bit. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts