Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10 months ago I made a committment to a solo journey to Alaska. Now the countdown clock says 38 days - and Harley and I are ready. I want to share the trip with as many as possible although I wouldn't claim that I'll be able to journalistically capture it with the same swagger as Shrug did on his trip. None-the-less I have set up a public Face Book page (Harley Davidson & I to Alaska) to post to prior to and during the trip. I'll be equipped with a Delorme InReach satellite communicator that will allow me to send and receive messages through my iPhone, as well as post to the Face Book page. A new InReach model is just being released with expected shipments in late May. There will be much to be learned in a short period of time to get it set up and functioning before my June 15 departure. Delorme also has a web page that will display a map to track my trip. Hopefully I'll be able to reach the Arctic Circle before travelling south to meet up with my wife in Anchorage who has chosen the airlines as her preferred travel method. We'll spend a few days with various activities before we board the Alaska Marine Highway ferry system for the trip south deboarding at Prince Rupert for her to catch flights home while Harley and I continue our land journey. Should be around 9000 miles and 15 days max as work won't allow any more. Bike has been thoroughly prepped and pimped so she'll at least look good for launch. Visit the FB page and follow along. Road Glide was made to eat the road on journey's like this; time to prove it once again.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Sounds like you have it all planned. I spoke with Shrug, he said sometimes he just pulled over the side of the road and set up camp. Not a lot of hotels heading in that direction, just wild animals! I am very envious and hope to one day make the trip myself. I will watch your progression on FB too. Good luck and take your time on those roads that are not well traveled :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
you can do it

me and wife will be doing cross country from NJ this year and renting for the first time for an Hawaiian trip in 2014, and with my retirement in 2016 to hit my 50th state on a HD i will be doing your trip to Alaska taking ferry from Seattle in one direction then going to Arctic circle. that device for i phone sounds good. i am sure you will be bringing a spare 5 gallon gas jug and octane booster . good luck and have a great time .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good luck.

I hope to be making a similar trip in the next year or two. I'll keep an eye on your Facebook page and look for any tips. A friend did the trip on his softail a few years back and after reading Shrug's blog I made the decision to do it myself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the well wishes. I'll do my best to share the sights along the way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
13 days!!! Starting to feel like I'm running out of time to get my things in order. Hoping the weather up north is bettter than we've had on the plains this spring. Face Book page Harley Davidson & I to Alaska if you want to follow along.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So today it begins. Only fitting to wake to thunderstorms and 30 mph winds. That's Nebraska. Finally got my hands on the new model of the DeLorme In Reach SE. I think it's working. Disappointed in that I was led to beleive that I would be able to post pics to facebook, not so, only text. Anyway I will be poting text to my facebook page. The breadcrumb trail should available at https://share.delorme.com/MichaelAllibone.

Facebook page Harley Davidson & I to Alaska

Good bye lower 48, North to Alaska!

·
Registered
743 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Got here a bit late...

Have a great trip!

Been that way a few times now and will do it more.

Couple of things to check out... Liard Hot Springs, you have to walk in but it's pretty cool.

Road up to Dawson City is great, stop in Carmaks for lunch at the little restaraunt below (down the hill, Pine something?) the gas station.

If you can ride back through Dease Lake (south of Watson Lake on 37) it is beautiful. Make sure you go into Stewart and Hyder. Go to the Glacier Inn in Hyder and get 'Hyderized'. ;)

Have fun!!!

Stephen

1 - 20 of 24 Posts