Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently planning a two week trip from SoCal to Seattle and back. Plan is to ride the Oregon coast northbound. Leaving home on the 20th and back before the holiday weekend! Any input or suggestions are welcomed!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
101 is very slow all the way through Oregon. I did Aberdeen to Eureka in one day but it took about 12 hours. I rode 101 to San Luis Obispo, then the plan was to do 1 all the way up but that changed when a bike with us had issues. Regardless, you can;t really go wrong on 101 once you get past Santa Rosa but do the Mendocino Coast to 92 back to 101, it is gorgeous. I'd recommend getting up to the Cascade Loop in Washington (Hwy 20) and the Olympic loop which I missed due to break downs.

I headed east through Oregon and into Idaho and Montana back into Idaho and then Washington from Socal and back in 10 days.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
My wife and I rent a house for a week in Rockaway every summer I used to trailer my bike down and ride the coast. There's lots of scenery so allow plenty of time for stopping and going threw the small towns it's hard to make time. The dealership in Coos Bay is a cool older building and have always been real nice every time I've been there worth a stop. Cape Blanco lighthouse is a cool stop too it's the most westernmost point in Oregon. Lot's to see and good food along the way too we always have to stop at the Sea Hag in Depoe Bay for clam chowder and make a few trips down to Tillamook for ice cream. I should add that the air museum in Tillamook is really cool if you have time to stop.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Quit the trippin to Or coast in the early 2s,had our share of it in the 9ts, don't get me wrong, coollittle trap towns. Astoria bridge is a must... taking 199 east up to John day 97 to Goldrndale and canyon up -2, 20 better into seattle so many options, theres some runs ck sites, traffic traffic,:)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The 101 loop around the peninsula is a great ride also. On vacation myself 15th - 26th. If you have any issues or questions while your up this way give me a shout.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 101 loop around the peninsula is a great ride also. On vacation myself 15th - 26th. If you have any issues or questions while your up this way give me a shout.
Thanks! Will do, it's always nice to have resources.:)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Currently planning a two week trip from SoCal to Seattle and back. Plan is to ride the Oregon coast northbound. Leaving home on the 20th and back before the holiday weekend! Any input or suggestions are welcomed!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Not sure how much time you have, but here's some suggestions on a route.

I'd take Hiway 1 all the way to SF from SoCal. Cross the Golden Gate bridge and immediately head west to the coast. Follow Hiway 1 all the way to Ft. Bragg, and then back east to Hiway 101. Follow 101 all the way up the coast to the NW tip of Washington and contine around the Olympic Penninsula to Kingston. Catch the ferry from there to Edmonds (which is where I live). Edmonds is just a few miles north of Seattle.

A couple things to see -

The Avenue of the Giants, just north of Garberville in Northen Cal.
Cape Perpetua, which is just south of Yachats in central Oregon.

Keep in mind that summer on the Oregon Coast is prime tourist season and motels fill up quickly on weekends. If you're traveling then it's wise to call ahead make a reservation.

If there's anything I can help you with, planning, help or even advice, just shoot me a PM and give you my cell #.

- Bruce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts