Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not looking for opinions on brands of oil or lubes, but rather opinions on the following: how likely is it that I'll get leaky gaskets by going with syn3 in all 3 holes. It's an 04 with 39k miles and I do not know what's been in it up to this point. I'm not sure if this oil is what I want to use, but I really like the idea of using one and don't mind spending more for synthetic, I just don't want to open a can of worms. Thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am not using Syn 3, and I use a different weight in each hole, but I do use synthetic in all and have never gotten a leak. I'm at 11k miles and have been running synthetic since the first oil change.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.
Hoping to get some opinions or stories from people who switched to synthetic after 25k-50k miles on dino. I asked an old friend on fb who is Harley certified by MMI what I should run and the response was synthetic in all 3, but to check for leaks and change the gaskets if needed. That sounds like more than I'm willing to risk.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Switching brands or types of oil is NOT going to cause a seal to leak. Just make sure your using the correct grade and you will be fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the input.

So, is the whole "if you ran dino for a long time (40k miles) and then switch to syn you'll have leaks" an old wive's tale? I'm not worried about mixing the tow, I'm just worried about gaskets leaking if it's never had syn.
Thanks again, and sorry of this is ignorant, and/or already beaten into the ground.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

So, is the whole "if you ran dino for a long time (40k miles) and then switch to syn you'll have leaks" an old wive's tale? I'm not worried about mixing the tow, I'm just worried about gaskets leaking if it's never had syn.
Thanks again, and sorry of this is ignorant, and/or already beaten into the ground.
With almost 30 years in the maintenance field I'm saying it's a false rumor.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm not looking for opinions on brands of oil or lubes, but rather opinions on the following: how likely is it that I'll get leaky gaskets by going with syn3 in all 3 holes. It's an 04 with 39k miles and I do not know what's been in it up to this point. I'm not sure if this oil is what I want to use, but I really like the idea of using one and don't mind spending more for synthetic, I just don't want to open a can of worms. Thanks.
Not to worry,

According to the "Material Safety Data Sheet" for H-D's SYN3, it is chemically a blend of 60% synthetic and 40% petroleum oils.

This is not illegal but it's certainly deceptive. The Courts have ruled that it is legal to advertise a product that has a chemical composition that includes at least SOME synthetic properties as a "synthetic lubricant".. in the case of SYN3, that oil is a 60/40 blend and not a true, 100% synthetic or anything even close to it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to worry,

According to the "Material Safety Data Sheet" for H-D's SYN3, it is chemically a blend of 60% synthetic and 40% petroleum oils.

This is not illegal but it's certainly deceptive. The Courts have ruled that it is legal to advertise a product that has a chemical composition that includes at least SOME synthetic properties as a "synthetic lubricant".. in the case of SYN3, that oil is a 60/40 blend and not a true, 100% synthetic or anything even close to it.

Thanks for the info. Not set on a brand yet, but I would like to go FULL synthetic in all 3 unless there's some good reasons not to.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

'Not really an old wive's tale, back in the '70s - '80s when synthetics were first coming to market there were issues with leaks when switching over. Since then sealing (gasket) technology has improved just like 'most everything else, so you should not have any problems with your '04.

FWIW, I, (like most every Harley Tech that I have spoken with) run Syn3 in the engine, Redline Shockproof in the Transmission, Formula+ in the Primary

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
'Not really an old wive's tale, back in the '70s - '80s when synthetics were first coming to market there were issues with leaks when switching over. Since then sealing (gasket) technology has improved just like 'most everything else, so you should not have any problems with your '04.

FWIW, I, (like most every Harley Tech that I have spoken with) run Syn3 in the engine, Redline Shockproof in the Transmission, Formula+ in the Primary
Thanks for the input. Doing my first change soon and def have some stupid questions. IF I go with your suggested combo, are there different weights for each? What would you suggest for Riding in Rhode Island for the next 3 months (low riding temp in the 50s, most riding in the 80s). Also, where can I get these products?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts