Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Just joined last weekend as I bought a nice new shiney Road Glide. Never been a hardcore brand worshiper but love riding motorized two wheelers. Anyhow, my bike experience is an old Kaw 750 for a short bit, 45k on a Suzuki Burgman 650 Maxi Scoot, and 21k on a BMW K1200LT. Been riding 6 years and trying my damndest to make up for what I missed out on between 16 and 48.
Gave the Beemer my best shot. Bought it to ride to Bumfukt Egypt and back. Couldn't last 100 miles without back pain, my drawers riding up my crack, and my man parts being crushed. Spent close to 1200 dollars on a custom fit Russel day long seat and only eliminated about two thirds of the listed problems. Also that K bike is like a monkey riding a a very fat football when it comes to parking lots and slow speed maneuvers. Very top heavy and any LT rider that has never tipped his bike over is either a liar or very very talented. Also, the Germans have no inclination as to the KISS principle as you have to remove half the Tupperware, 58 eight wires and hoses, and the gas tank just to change the air filter.

Put the Beemer on the stand last October pulled the front wheel, changed the tire, and there it sat on the jack with tire sitting in the balancer until two weeks ago. Finally got sick of looking at it, put it back together. Took it for a ride and it still had a low speed wobble. Plus my drawers were back up my crack. This bike has only 32k on it as I had bought with 11K. You cannot let go of the handle bars on these bike period. Unless maybe you outfit em with Wilbur's Ohlins and 10 tons of other high dollar BS.
Anyhow, I was sick of it. Got fed up, took a big hit and traded it in for a Road Glide. Took me about 100 miles to figure out this thing is a hot son of a gun that comes without a windshield, a rearward slide for a passenger seat, and an inadequate ;-cooling system. I was mad. Took it back to the dealer and told em in polite terms this motorcycle was poorly configured from the factory and I wanted my Beemer back. Ha Ha funny funny. They told me in polite terms "uh uh" but would do their best to make me a happy returning customer and would try to do something to cool the bike down with minimum expense. After hemming and hawing around a few days the sales manager passed it back to the young man that sold it to me. The solution: Removing the catalytic converter and returning the bike. This didn't strike me as a very professional thing to do by a dealership and sounded like a band aid fix for a larger problem that should have been addressed by Harley not the dealer. The Sales Manager did say the cat removal would not void the warranty it is not illegal. Did some reading around on various Harley forums and decided to not let them remove the cat. It is illegal and a violation of the federal clean air act but with an unfunded mandate. This means some states enforce it some don't. It could get worse down the road and taking out the cat is not like unscrewing it and setting it aside tonscrew it back in later if you need to.

I'm pretty disgusted at this point as this motorcycle is about everything Harley haters say about running on image and pretty much antiquated technology with some electronics and better suspension slapped on top.
Have read about parade fans, bigger harder oil coolers, louder pipes, etc... Also highway pegs should be standard on this furnace. Harley caught me in a weak moment and bribed me with .99 financing and the fact that the Japs can't seem to put a cruise control on a decent looking bike you can ride for more than 100 miles.

I'd be interested in hearing some intelligent comments or suggestions as I am stuck with this thing.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Sounds to me like you already made up your mind as to how you feel about it. Myself I own two Road Glides and average around 16,000 miles a year with at least one trip of 5-6k round trip. Good luck on finding the perfect ride, maybe a CanAm should be your next choice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the Jap comment. When I grew up gay meant happy and John Wayne killed Japs. I'll try harder not to offend anyone. The Japanese do make excellent motorcycles and scooters not counting is a matter of opinion although I totally understand they are looked upon with much fear and trepidation but most self respecting troglodytes. But anyhow, my mind isn't made up. I have a Road Glide and was looking for some intelligent discussion on how to fix this mistake.

·
Super Moderator
13,517 Posts
I honestly don't know what to say. Harleys aren't known for being cool running bikes since they are air cooled. You might try an aftermarket exhaust that runs a different route than OEM. Where exactly are you getting hot, and what kind of riding habits are routine for you? The only time the heat bothers me at all is stop and go traffic, so I try my best to avoid it.

Reactions: AnCap

·
Premium Member
6,245 Posts
first off, stop looking at it as a 'mistake'. it's just a new experience for you.

secondly, while it is illegal to tamper with the emissions controls, removing the headpipe for a non-cat headpipe is not that big a deal (labor wise). you can do this yourself, keeping your cat header in storage for the day that you either trade this bike in for a new one, or, your state begins mandating emissions testing.

do some research on 'Harley tax' and 'stage 1'. basically, switching out the stock airbox, exhaust, and getting a tune. this will make your bike run much better, and also, cool it down some.

but, the big thing is to ride some more. I've seen it happen lots of times. guy buys a new hd, not quite what he was expecting (my old bike........ blah blah), but keeps riding it because, well, it's the only bike he's got and he isn't gonna trade it in and lose a ton of money. then one day, something clicks, and now all of a sudden, his bike is the best thing since sliced bread.

you're still in break in mode. the bike will run a little hotter during break in.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
get rid of the cat,it isn't a big deal.Putting a converter on a motorcycle is stupid anyway,not gonna make a diff.Get a back rest and that'll solve the passenger slide problem.

If you want,instead of removing the cat from the stock exhaust,spend the bux for an aftermarket exhaust system and you'll have the cat to put back on if ya want.You want the bike louder anyway.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
So you purchased the bike because you were offered great financing?? You also failed to see the crappy seat and lack of windshield??
Almost every single Harley is customized, to some degree, to meet the need of the person buying it. So yes, they come with seats that aren't adequate for a passenger. Yes the windscreen on the RG is insufficient. Yes most all Harleys run air cooled motors which make for a hotter ride.
These are things you should have recognized/learned BEFORE signing that great financing deal.
So now you do what we all do. List your needs. Research your options. Ask questions from guys/gals that have experience with the bike. Then start changing out what you need to in order to get the bike were you want.
From what you posted above you need very little to get you there.
1. Get rid of the cats, stage 1, and get the bike tuned. You can add fans and this will cool it down SOME.
2. Find a seat you like and replace your stock seat.
3. Replace your windscreen.
As I said. Research, research, research and make educated choices.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Harley always put stuff on the bikes that are not functional but look cool. HD knows you are going to spend big $$ to get the bike to fit your needs, this is called marketing genius.

The other bikes you had run just as hot they just enclose the engine with plastic to keep the heat off the rider.
Also there is very limited aftermarket option for most JAP, European or German made bikes so you are kind of stuck with what you got when you buy those bikes.

You are sitting on a bike that is air cooled and the engine produces heat from that thing that is called FRICTION & COMBUSTION, there are thing that can help lower the engine heat but you will never get rid of it.
If the Harley isn't your cup of tea I would suggest trading it in for another bike you would be happier with. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I test rode a Victory, a Goldwing, a Moto Guzzi, and a Stratoliner. Been constipating on a different bike for a long time. Never rode any of them long enough to understand an air cooled bike ain't that cool. Got a work bud with a street glide with a stage one set up. He is a happy camper. Anyhow, its hard to find the perfect ride. The scooter will go 110, only needed an Airhawk seat pad, and will take you wherever you want to go but it is socially unacceptable. The Beemer, overly complex and a nut buster, and the Harley I have already moaned about. Its probably just not a Harley tax, they all have shortcomings you got to adjust for. Anyhow thanks for the kind words from some. I'm sticking around and look forward to annoying a few but will be a dedicated student.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Like some have already said, you're used to a bike that you've ridden for so long. Harleys cannot be compared to other bikes really. They are their own. The MoCo puts the eye candy on the bikes to sell them. They know most, if not all will throw a shit ton of money into it to make it to their liking and comfort level. It's called what someone said, "marketing". The "problems" you're listing are relatively easy to fix with the suggestions already mentioned by the others. I'm not breaking balls here but research and a road test should've been priority number one before purchasing a bike without knowing anything about it. Also, theres literally hundreds of options regarding items to help you get the bike the way YOU think it needs to be if you decide to stick with it. Good luck

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Sorry about the Jap comment. When I grew up gay meant happy and John Wayne killed Japs. I'll try harder not to offend anyone.

The only thing John Wayne ever killed was a bottle of booze. Welcome to the forum and thank you for being respectful and mature enough to retract your comment, unlike the prick who came behind you and used it again intentionally.

Good thing about Harley's is that they usually do pretty well in the trade in/ resale market ;)

·
Registered
492 Posts
DAMN!!!! Maybe motorcycles in general just aren't your thing. Hope you figure out what makes you happy either with your Roadie or anything else you choose to ride.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sounds like your Roadtoad and the forum is starting to grow on you. Welcome.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am always amazed at these posts. Say what you want OP but either you didn't research your purchase or you are just stupid. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't research. It takes about 10 seconds to learn (the problems identified) that the engine temp needs to be dealt with through mods, the windshields are inadequate, and the seat will need to be changed. If you aren't willing to do this there are other bikes to buy. To say this is a mistake on Harley's part hmmm. They are the number one selling motorcycle company so maybe they are making a product that their customers like.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Like you, I've had lots of other bikes. I still have a Kawasaki ZRX1200 and a Kawi H2 750 in my garage that I split time riding with my RoadGlide. Each serves a purpose.

My Road Glide was ok from the factory.......but I picked up a older pillow cushion seat for longer rides with the G Friend and am in the process of changing the handlebars for more comfort (and looks) I extended the floorboards cause my size 14's don't fit so well.....and bought a aftermarket Tour Pack so my G Friend is more comfortable and can really relax in the back.

But one of the best mods I made was to install a riders backrest. Where before I could only ride a couple hours before my back started to complain....now I can ride all day.

M point is.....you're gonna have to do some mods to fit the bike to you. Once you do.... you'll find riding it a LOT more pleasureable.

Here's a link to a low cost cat free head pipe set......

Harley Davidson Touring FLH Flt 10 15 Performance Exhaust Headers Decat CA20 | eBay

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.