Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Looking for some input. I put some $$ into my stereo last year and want better sound quality. I'm currently running Hawg Wired 400 RS amp with 4 ZX speakers (2 in the lower fairings). I run my I-phone thru the Aux. port 99% of the time. I've had my fairing off on 3 or 4 occasions to adjust the gain and freq but just not satisfied.
I talked with HW (AFTER I purchased a new head set-Kenwood marine media center) and they said my problems most likely in the way I adjusted the amp. vs the head unit. Also, keep the volume on my phone no greater than 75%.
With my new head unit on the way, I bit the bullet and purchased their instalation kit and a remote amp tuner. HERES my question. Am I going to hear an improvement in sound quality with the Kenwood media center......should I have purchased a different unit. The Kenwood dosent seem to have any ability to adjust the music (no equalizer) but it will allow me to charge my phone/adjust pandora and connects with a USB vs Aux port.:confused:Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
What is it that ur not Satisfied with???
Clarity!?
The Kenwood will give you better overall sound clarity, but then again, 'Power' is the name of the Game for Most Situations.
again I ask tho, What is it that ur not Satisfied with???

·
Registered
714 Posts
What, specifically, are you not happy with? The clarity? Is it distorting at high volumes? Is it just not loud enough? Do you need better quality parked or just at speed?

It takes me several rides to dial in the EQ on the alpine unit for me to like it. Then I pull a fuse to make some changes to something else, and I have to do it all over again.

They're right about not maxing out the volume on the iphone. When you start maxing out an amp (the tiny amp in the phone) you start to get distortion and then that distortion is amplified through your system.

Sorry, I don't really have any answers, but from my experience with my system, and reading everyone else's posts here, you DEFINITELY SHOULD be able to have great sound out of that setup.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
When you use the HW remote link to tune the amps make sure you have the bike outside and not in the garage, you will get a better ideas of how it,s going to sound. Also it will take a few rides and re-tuning before you are satisfied. That was my experience.......

Good Luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clarity is my issue. The system is plenty Loud. I feel like I need to adjust the highs and lows. Will the new deck make any significant difference or is my stock deck fine?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Clarity is my issue. The system is plenty Loud. I feel like I need to adjust the highs and lows. Will the new deck make any significant difference or is my stock deck fine?
You still have the stock deck? I would change that FIRST before I moved on to adjusting anything else. Trust me...changing out that factory deck to aftermarket will make a HUGE difference in sound.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like I cant go wrong with changing to the Kenwood head unit. Should improve my sound quality, clarity, which is what im seeking. Thanks for the input:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just purchased a SS 4.520 amp, BT7.1's for the fairing and a set of Kicker KSC67's for the rear pods for a 2011 RGU. I was going to wait next year to replace the HU. IS this something that I should do now or should I wait? I've never owned a bike with a stereo...

·
Registered
714 Posts
I just purchased a SS 4.520 amp, BT7.1's for the fairing and a set of Kicker KSC67's for the rear pods for a 2011 RGU. I was going to wait next year to replace the HU. IS this something that I should do now or should I wait? I've never owned a bike with a stereo...
Lots of folks run the stock head unit. Some run w/ a modded stock unit with line-out added. For ME it was an easy choice: I wanted BT/Pandora features. You'll get a LOT out of a headunit upgrade and really get the most out of your audio by doing so.

Is a new HU in your budget? You can sell the stock head unit for $300-400 on ebay to make up the cost of the switch.

Edit: Sorry -- didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just noticed this was tacked on this thread -- might be worth starting your own thread Austinslider

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lots of folks run the stock head unit. Some run w/ a modded stock unit with line-out added. For ME it was an easy choice: I wanted BT/Pandora features. You'll get a LOT out of a headunit upgrade and really get the most out of your audio by doing so.

Is a new HU in your budget? You can sell the stock head unit for $300-400 on ebay to make up the cost of the switch.

Edit: Sorry -- didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just noticed this was tacked on this thread -- might be worth starting your own thread Austinslider
Hometoast, thanks for the input. I had no idea the stock head unit is worth $300 bones:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made the right choice!!

Just finished the install of of the new Kenwood Media Center. I cant believe what this unit can do for under 90 bucks!. I also installed Hawg Wired remote Amp controller (I'm gonna love this thing):D. Only a couple of hickups during the install. First, Hawg Wired's install kit does not fit the small media center. Not difficult to modify (needed to drill 2 holes and buy a 2.5 inch screw). Dissapointing because HW's gear is so spendy. Second, I wasnt prepared to rewire the Amp to connect the speakers to the Kenwood (this is where HW rules, simple plug and play and flip a switch).

Anyone need a stock HK deck:cool:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sounds like I cant go wrong with changing to the Kenwood head unit. Should improve my sound quality, clarity, which is what im seeking. Thanks for the input:D
Changing to a new deck is great, now having that deck live up to the Weather issues the HK deck does...well now that's another issue.

there is no perfect answer...there is trade offs on both sides

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Changing to a new deck is great, now having that deck live up to the Weather issues the HK deck does...well now that's another issue.

there is no perfect answer...there is trade offs on both sides
The Kenwood is a marine unit....should be good in the weather. Just noticed I have a high pitch squeal. Connections are good and polarity must be right because the + and - are different sizes. I think the issue is how I have my Amp wired. I left the factory Deck (High input connections) intact. Ill check that first

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The squealing seemed to be coming from a plug connector from the deck into the Amp. A little dielectric grease...a firm push and no squeal. At least I think theres NO squeal. The bike is shut down for the night, I'm in the house and I still hear the Squeal:rolleyes:I'll finish up in the morning

1 - 15 of 15 Posts