Road Glide banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, I have a bit of a off beat question. Some what new to harley's as far as tweaking them goes. My question is this. I have a guy at work that has a evolution motor in a 98 soft tail. All day long all I hear from this guy is how my 15 RG is going to be so slow. That it is junk, he is going to blow the doors off me etc etc. LOL not one to get wrapped up in this but have to say. This guy is driving me nuts. I have never even rode my new bike yet due to weather. Just picked it up from dealer awhile back. My old bike was just a street glide with a 88 cubic inch in it, Was no crazy fast ride but I liked it. So my question is, Is this guy going to blow the doors of my 15 RG . I have headers and screaming eagle intake and remapped done that's all. Sorry to sound like a baby but this guy is rubbing me raw with this. Also I know if I wanted crazy speed there are all kinds of other rides I could have bought. Not looking for crazy speed, just looking to shut this guy up a bit...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Don't sweat it who cares if he is faster you're more comfortable you have cruise control a bigger tank and can ride for longer distances, plus your shark looks way better than his Softail

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
depends on his mods, what kind of softail , his weight , your weight etc. but if his bike is bone stock then my guess is no. This guy sounds like real gem LOL
in 99 my brother and I flew down to FL and rented some bikes , he got a 99 softail last year Evo and I had a Road King police with first year twin cam 88. Not only was I pulling away from him but when we got to our fist stop I was nice and comfy, he on the other hand couldn't feel his legs or hands due to vibration and was begging to switch bikes with me. This was before they got counter balance. But who cares. This guy sounds a little jealous that you'll be riding a new comfy RG, ignore this moron

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Just smile and invite him on a 1500 mile race. 750 out and 750 back. first one home wins. even if he gets there before you do, you'll still have 1500 miles on your new ride, and a big ass grin on your face!

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
No way a stock 80" Evo can touch a twin cam , any twin cam. Even a 93" or 95" ain't going to out run a 103 " stage 1 TC, unless it's got major work done. Besides, them Evo softails will vibrate the fillings out of your teeth.
If you can ride half decent, tell him to throw some cash down or stf up.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
The EVO engine is a 1340 cc/82 cu in engine.
The 103 Twin Cam is a 1689 cc/103 cu in engine.
The 103 is obviously the bigger engine but it all depends on the mods on the EVO engine on its performance. It does take a lot of mods to a EVO engine to produce the HP/torque of a stock 103 TC.
It does depend on a few thing such as weight, the softail will weigh in less then the touring model by a couple hundred lbs, the weight of the rider may make a difference too.
Also the touring model has a 6 speed trans and the EVO softail has a 5 speed trans and the the gearing is different. The EVO softail will have a lower geared trans to make up for power loss.
Also the drive pulleys are different which would make a difference in power too.
Some of these thing hold true even now as the trans gearing and drive pulley configuration differ between HD models depending on what the bikes are designed for. The touring models are always designed for comfort and they are geared for long runs that find a equal balance between power and fuel economy.
Don't buy into your buddy's bullshit and enjoy your bike. JMO

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
When the TC 88's first came out we got one with slip ons from a dealer. We did a few rolling start runs against my FXR. The 88 lost every time. The FXR was 80", S&S carb, Andrews EV 13 cam, ignition and slip ons. That being said, I think you'd walk that Soft tail. Challenge him to a 500 mile race. That ought to shut him up or kill him.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Seems like there is one of those guys every where you go,got'em where i work too,there just isnt much that you can do with a loud mouth,short of punching him the head,because they are normally to stupid to understand much of anything.Tell him that you didn't buy it to be fast,you bought to be cool,then add OH but you wouldn't understand that.:cool:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I had a similar incident with a crotch rocket rider and my reply was simple. First one to the beach (200 mile trip via back roads) and back is the winner. Shut him up real quick.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's pretty simple to me, but sacrilegious to some others.

When I want to cruise, I get on this.

When I want to go fast, I get on this.

If it makes a difference, if that other guy has a stock bike, you should smoke him on the straight or in the curves.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Personally, I'd just smile and walk away and stop talkin' to the jerk. Who cares how bad you're gonna smoke him. That bike will eat him alive if his is stock. And ask him if Harleys are so freakin' bad why does he keep riding one?
THEN walk away........
SMDH.........

Why would you hang with someone like that anyway? I understand he's a coworker, but can't you get away from him? I got more to do in my day than to listen to an idiot who obviously doesn't know sh*t, and just wants to start some.....come to think of it.....He probably wants to start it so he can see what sh*t looks like......???:confused::confused::confused::cool:

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,454 Posts
I had a 96 EGC before my RGU. Several friends had various sizes of TC. When we would run em from a stop I would stay even througj 1st and 2nd. Once I shifted to third they would pull away.
I dont have any numbers to quantify, but my stock 103 in my 2011 RGU feels a lot stronger. My neighbor who rides Hondas even has commented how much more power and speed I seem to have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.