Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 RGS has 63k plus miles, lately I have noticed an engine knock and shake once the bike is hot. Once moving the knock stops. Is this an octane issue or should I be concerned about something else?
Also do these bikes ever need to be (ECM) re-tuned?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't think its the gas as its been doing it all summer. as far as lifters go wouldn't it be making noise in higher RPM other than idle?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Do you have a video of the 'noise'?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Also do these bikes ever need to be (ECM) re-tuned?
normally it should be a standard practice to reset the “trim values” every 5k miles, otherwise the risk is that compensation after compensation the map ends up to start creating problems.
powervision has a dedicated button to perform that reset, I do not know about the others.

some explanations here:Fuel Trim Theory And Operation

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Your building up oil pressure in the higher RPM's to help pump up the lifter. At idle when hot not so much
My 16 dropped a lifter while riding. It made noise at every RPM. So there are some cases. Now my 19 is bad at start up. But it's all coming apart next week.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So after reading some posts about engine vibration and considering I have many miles on the bike I decided to order the engine mounts, 3 mounts, 2 bottom 1 upper. About $200.00.
While driving back from the dealership I realized that there may be a simpler solution so I took the spark plugs out and they were very calcified, the rear plug was caked. So I'm hoping this is the problem, going up to NH this weekend so we will see.
Hopefully I'll have those motor mounts on Ebay soon.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
So after reading some posts about engine vibration and considering I have many miles on the bike I decided to order the engine mounts, 3 mounts, 2 bottom 1 upper. About $200.00.
While driving back from the dealership I realized that there may be a simpler solution so I took the spark plugs out and they were very calcified, the rear plug was caked. So I'm hoping this is the problem, going up to NH this weekend so we will see.
Hopefully I'll have those motor mounts on Ebay soon.
Hate to ask. But what could have caused that to the plugs? That isn't normal.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Is the engine stock? When was the last time you replaced to plugs and hows the oil consumption?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Changed the plugs about 10k ago, bike burns no oil.
So from what the internet tells me if the plug is dark and oily than your the engine is running rich, if the plug is white and what looks like calcium (my description) it running lean. I started the bike this morning after replacing plugs and it did sound spunky and held a firmer idle. I will know more once I take a nice long ride.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Changed the plugs about 10k ago, bike burns no oil.
So from what the internet tells me if the plug is dark and oily than your the engine is running rich, if the plug is white and what looks like calcium (my description) it running lean. I started the bike this morning after replacing plugs and it did sound spunky and held a firmer idle. I will know more once I take a nice long ride.
NGK iridium plugs. It's all I run. They last forever.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
My impression is you are describing a worn out compensator. Very common at that mileage. Take it to your dealer and let them listen to it. They will know immediately if it is the compensator.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My impression is you are describing a worn out compensator. Very common at that mileage. Take it to your dealer and let them listen to it. They will know immediately if it is the compensator.
I was suspect of this but other than the rough idle and shake I don't have any other of the following symptoms:

The symptoms of a bad compensator are a loud clang at start up, trouble shifting into first or neutral and a sound like gravel in the front of the primary around 2200 RPM. But, the only way to know for sure that you have this problem is to pull the primary cover off and look.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Okay so I first want to apologize to everyone who took the time to evaluate my "engine problem" and give me advice. I wasted your time.
The reality of my search for the knock and rattle in my engine was not the motor mounts (which will be for sale soon) or bad spark plugs.
While stopping for lunch in Keene NH or VT? I parked the bike and as I pulled into the spot I drop my glove, I get off the bike, bend down to pick up the glove and hear the rattle louder than ever. I look up and see the vents on my lowers shaking and hitting other surrounding plastic ( Hogwarts after market) I hold the vent screen and I still hear the one on the other side. I close the vents and the noise disappears. Harley once named an engine after me, I think it was called a Knucklehead!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts