Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I want to pose a question, here on this forum instead of those other bullshit forums.
I have a 2002 dyna super glide,with under 1200 miles on it and yesterday while riding it, I decided to jump on it and go through the gears, as I reached about 85 miles an hour, handlebars started to do that death wobble. I was wondering if taking the fender off had anything to do with it? Was wondering if I should add a fork brace or something of that nature. Or if it was something else I might be overlooking Your opinions are definitely wanted..

Registered
2020 RGS, FLTRXS that runs great out the gate.
Hey guys,
I want to pose a question, here on this forum instead of those other bullshit forums.
I have a 2002 dyna super glide,with under 1200 miles on it and yesterday while riding it, I decided to jump on it and go through the gears, as I reached about 85 miles an hour, handlebars started to do that death wobble. I was wondering if taking the fender off had anything to do with it? Was wondering if I should add a fork brace or something of that nature. Or if it was something else I might be overlooking Your opinions are definitely wanted..
Just trade it in on a new Road Glide...way easier and most bestest thing to do...

Registered
It does happen. this happened 1 year ago today. And I have spent a year going over every detail. In my case a friend was following me so he had a lot of input.
LEO wrote it up as road conditions. That likely played into it but it was the wobble.

Sky Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motorcycle

Shark of the Month October 13
I agree with Smitty, check the fall away on the neck bearing, and check the front tire carefully for any cupping or other uneven wear. Other than those two suggestions, I'll leave it to others more knowledgeable to respond with other suggestions here.

The bottom line is that that's very dangerous ..... so you probably should give that old thing to me. I'll pay the freight! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Oclaf

Super Moderator
Had it happen to me yesterday, turned out to be the wheel bearings.

Reactions: Zedbra

He doesn't want to give it to you Jack because he doesn't want to see it sitting around collecting dust 98% of the time.

Registered
He doesn't want to give it to you Jack because he doesn't want to see it sitting around collecting dust 98% of the time.
It's an 02 with under 1200 miles on it. It's a dust collector right where it currently sits lol

• Haha
Reactions: Oclaf

It's an 02 with under 1200 miles on it. It's a dust collector right where it currently sits lol
Exactly! That's why he should give it to someone who will use it regularly, not just have it become another garage ornament. JTB lost a couple riding friends in recent years and I sense he's just not riding much these days except for the Patti's Run. He's retiring within a year, I hope he starts riding more frequently when he does.

Administrator
Exactly! That's why he should give it to someone who will use it regularly, not just have it become another garage ornament. JTB lost a couple riding friends in recent years and I sense he's just not riding much these days except for the Patti's Run. He's retiring within a year, I hope he starts riding more frequently when he does.
What ewe no about cents ?? You aint got any , I ride ya putz , whens the last time you went outta Florida ?? SWVII ??

Go get some more ice cream and medicinal 馃ゴ hooch and back to your regularly scheduled nap //

JtB

Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't get a chance, to really check out the bike yesterday, so today I will put the bike up in the air.
The death wobble was happening while riding a straight line, when I backed off the throttle. And slowly twisted the throttle,I was doing over a 100 mph no problem, also I don't notice it pushing into the curves,
Only under hard ass launchs, going through the gears, at top rpms...
Tires look good, there still round!!!
No dry rot, no cupping, propper air pressure. I will take a look at the Rubber engine mounts, today for dry rot, while I got it in the air, I will look at the neck bearings.
And if it all checks out OK, i will put the front fender back on, and see what happens, my one friend said that the front fender acts as a brace, and helps stabilize the front Forks from twisting and bouncing. I kinda call bullshit, and decided to start this thread....

Registered
So I had something similar on my 18 Ultra that I just traded in. the guys at the dealer said a lot of the times its the "neck/fork barrings (spelling)" from hitting pot holes and other stuff. said sometimes comes loose and it causes that wobble that described. im sure it could also be something else, but check those as well just see in case.. the guy at dealer said had to replace his within a few months of putting on new ones due to pot holes and bumps etc..

What ewe no about cents ?? You aint got any , I ride ya putz , whens the last time you went outta Florida ?? SWVII ??

Go get some more ice cream and medicinal 馃ゴ hooch and back to your regularly scheduled nap //

JtB
Let's not forget that 3 weeks ago the Florida Meet and Greet was an hour closer to you than it was for me but I didn't see your ass there in Crawfordville ... so now who's the real putz!

Registered
The comments are Spot On.

2002? I would just replace the Race and Bearings in the neck and go from there. Even with the new bikes with just a couple thou on them I replace Bearings regularly. Yours has a Zerk which probably has never been greased anyway. Dyna's are pretty easy. But, remember, as we used to say all the time when working on them..... "It's a Dyna". Among the five I own, one is a 06 Dyna - Love it!

Registered
the only time i had an issue that bothered me was when i mixed brands of tires on my '94 heritage.
the windshield prolly didn't help; it almost turned into a tank slapper and definitely got me puckered.
it started about 90 mph. when i backed off the throttle it got worse so i gave it some juice and slowed down gradually.
after changing to matching set of tires and tightening steering head bearings it disappeared

1 - 19 of 19 Posts