Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To any and all of the forum members who will attending the Outer Banks bike week this year... April 20-28, 2013

I know there are quite a few members on this forum from the Hampton Roads and NENC area and based on some other threads I'd suspect that many forum members in the Mid-Atlantic region will probably be attending the event.

If there's enough interest I propose that we set up a date/time for a meet and greet, get some pictures (perhaps making SWII look small), a short ride, and lunch/dinner at one of the local establishments (perhaps Lucky 12 Tavern on the beach highway). Maybe we can even get the "RG Flag" into the region for the event???

I can arrange a meeting location and reservations if there's enough interest and everyone can agree on a date/time.

Just throwing it out there.....

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I am all for it. I love to see fellow sharks out there on the road and it would be cool to show up to a bike event in force.

If there is enough interest I could get my wife to do some picture shoots with your bikes. She doesn't have much interest in riding, but she loves taking pictures of the and there are some really cool places to do photo shoots down that way.

A couple of lighthouses and the beach is always cool for pics of our land sharks. And if anyone else is from around this way and knows of some really cool places that would make good back grounds for pics please let me know cause we are always looking for new places to do photo shoots of bikes at.

Great call on this one Tony. The RG flag being here would be F'ing awesome

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Love to meet up with a few of you if work allows. To outdo SWII, you'd outnumber the OBBW activities all together. I'm about 2 hours away and the only reason I would go again would be to meet some forum members. The "rally" has been an utter disappointment ever since it started. Last year we were asked, more than a few times, where everything was. We could only answer "this is it", which really pissed some people of that had actually taken vacation time to attend. You can ride all you want, but theirs not enough rally activities to fill a day, let alone a 10 day event. This is, of course, my opinion but has been echoed by many others. If not for short rides between the few spots of activity, you could do/see everything in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Not trying to discourage people from visiting the Outer Banks, its beautiful. Just don't come thinking their is a ton of motorcycle related stuff happening. You'll be disappointed. Instead, ride the coast, enjoy the sunshine (hopefully), and see a few lighthouses. When your done, take a loop back towards Greenville and stop in for a visit. :D

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not trying to discourage people from visiting the Outer Banks, its beautiful. Just don't come thinking their is a ton of motorcycle related stuff happening. You'll be disappointed. Instead, ride the coast, enjoy the sunshine (hopefully), and see a few lighthouses. When your done, take a loop back towards Greenville and stop in for a visit. :D
That was kinda my mind set as well, and mostly for those already set on heading this way. It's a great place to vacation, which most do, and it's a nice place to ride. If there are forum members coming, whether it be 1 or 100, let's get together.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'm subscribing. I went last year just to say I rode NC Highway 12 start to finish with the ferries included. Me and my riding buddies called it the lighthouse tour. Also got wet since it rained a lot, especially on the ferries. Lots of bikes, not much in the way of activites/vendors. Good food, great scenery. I hope the road gets fixed from Sandy. Washed out a lot of places.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Totally agree with it being a disappointment. Thats another reason why I would like to meet up with some fellow sharks. Actually make it a good time this year instead of what it has been.

I plan on doing the complete outer banks loop this spring. Should be a good time with alot to see while riding, and if I plan it right maybe beat the vacationers so the traffic isn't so bad.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I will be down there for a conference, so my trip to the rally is free! :)
Would definitely be interested in a meet up.
Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I plan on doing the complete outer banks loop this spring. Should be a good time with alot to see while riding, and if I plan it right maybe beat the vacationers so the traffic isn't so bad.
What is the complete outer banks loop? We vacationed there a few years ago in Kitty Hawk and drove down to Hatteras. Took the tour of the north end where the Mustangs roam, is there more to it then that and wheres the loop? It is beautiful around there and a great place to kick back and relax.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is the complete outer banks loop? We vacationed there a few years ago in Kitty Hawk and drove down to Hatteras. Took the tour of the north end where the Mustangs roam, is there more to it then that and wheres the loop? It is beautiful around there and a great place to kick back and relax.
I'm not certain which ride David is talking about but I'd venture to guess it's the "lighthouse tour" which starts at the currituck lighthouse down the entire outer banks (two ferry rides) to cape fear light house and back up the mainland to Elizabeth City/SE VA area. It's a good 2 day ride and absolutely a blast to do.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
That does sound cool, I'll have to check that out if I get some free time this summer. We didn't ride any ferries while we were there but taking one in the Gulf on the Gypsy Tour last summer it kept setting my alarm off. I finally just left the keys in the fairing.

I didn't know it till later but apparently the beach at Hatteras is rated one of the top beaches in the country and one of the few we didn't go out on. We got to the lighthouse and turned around. The area around Kitty Hawk where the Wright Brothers flew is a pretty cool place to check out as well.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'm not certain which ride David is talking about but I'd venture to guess it's the "lighthouse tour" which starts at the currituck lighthouse down the entire outer banks (two ferry rides) to cape fear light house and back up the mainland to Elizabeth City/SE VA area. It's a good 2 day ride and absolutely a blast to do.
Nailed it on the head! thats what I was referring to

1 - 14 of 14 Posts