Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the harley family. My fellow riders tell me that we need to burn higher octane gas 91 +. In my area 91 octane is not readily available. How important is it to use 91.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
931 Posts
If you dont mind knocking pinging and worse throttle response its no problem. I know parts of NE are pretty rural but find it hard to believe you cant get it. If need be add some octane boost when you cant find 91+

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Get yourself a tuner, ie: Thundermax, Power Vision, TTS etc and tune it to run on what ever you can get. I've got the Power Vision, got a tune that runs really nice on 87 octane, working on an 89 octane E10 tune now. I can get 91 here sporadically, but it's usually ethanol so I prefer not to use it.

Part of the reason I can get by with 87 octane is that I put the SE204 cams in which have a later intake close number, which lowers the cranking compression a bit while still giving a considerable power boost.
The 87 runs just fine, and gets better mileage than any of the ethanol blends.

In the mean time, your bike has knock sensing ignition, it will retard the timing when it senses pinging, hurts performance a bit, but save the motor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My RG is an 08. I put in 91 when ever I can get it and with the 6 gal tank I can usually get some place but it is a real pain at times. Tell me more about these tuners. Where do you get them and what can you do with them? What is the cost of the tuner? Do they work with a lap top?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I am new to the harley family. My fellow riders tell me that we need to burn higher octane gas 91 +. In my area 91 octane is not readily available. How important is it to use 91.
Thanks for the input.
You can get octain additive if need be,.... For a temp solution,... But, for the long road, one might want to do the other solutions,... Suggested. PM -->Triplej he has some great suggestions for these issues.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Regular gas

I ran regular in my stock 2010 Glide with no problems it got 50 MPG on long trips using cruise control I was told additive like octane boast would wreck the 02 sensors ?? I cant run regular gas anymore becaus of the updates

1 - 6 of 6 Posts