Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the HD iPod interface with saddlebag tether, and it works great except for the occasional clipping in the right fairing speaker. (For what it's worth, I also installed the upgraded Boom! fairing speakers.) This does not happen at all when I use the CD player, or when I listen to the radio.

I do notice that the speaker clips when I open and close the saddlebag. I've wiggled the connection, and some minor clipping does occur. I'm using an iPhone 5 as an iPod at the moment, so I have to use a docking connector-to-lightning adapter.

Theories? Suggestions (other than "get an Iron Aces unit!")?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Find someone with an older iPod to try. It sounds like it's the docking adapter.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I installed the HD iPod interface with saddlebag tether, and it works great except for the occasional clipping in the right fairing speaker. (For what it's worth, I also installed the upgraded Boom! fairing speakers.) This does not happen at all when I use the CD player, or when I listen to the radio.

I do notice that the speaker clips when I open and close the saddlebag. I've wiggled the connection, and some minor clipping does occur. I'm using an iPhone 5 as an iPod at the moment, so I have to use a docking connector-to-lightning adapter.

Theories? Suggestions (other than "get an Iron Aces unit!")?
The only thing I can think of is - change wires - but get other opinions for sure,... Some good sound shops will help out sometimes (good pr for them).

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Find someone with an older iPod to try. It sounds like it's the adapter.
+1 on this too,... Least expensive path always first.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! I kind of figured the adapter would be an issue. It's kind of weird that the MoCo doesn't offer a Lightning cable for this application. I'm looking for a 4th generation iPod to leave semi-permanently in my saddlebags.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I am using a touch and had the same problem. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and so far so good. The cables on these things seem kind of crappy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am using a touch and had the same problem. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and so far so good. The cables on these things seem kind of crappy.
Are you using an adapter?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm using an adapter too. What I found is that you have to make sure the plug is in firmly. Couple times I thought it was plugged in securely and had the same issue. Pushed it in with a little more pressure and no issue.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've used the docking to lightning in my cage - had similar issues. You could make a velcro strap that starts around the wires that you can loop up around your phone when you put it in there to keep it tight.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not that it matters, but the adapter seems to be the culprit. I bought a used 4th gen iPod Touch, used it for the last 100 miles, and it works flawlessly. I can now actually hear both speakers at 90 MPH.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts