Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2011 RGC with the factory Harmon Kardon unit installed. When I burn a CD with MP3's on it the unit doesn't read/play all the tracks on the disc. The first time I tried it I learned it didn't recognize folder trees so on the second attempt I just put all the files at the root level. The unit will skip over files and only play certain ones no matter what. It always skips the same files on the disc so I assume there's something wrong with the formatting of those files but for the life of me can't figure out what. I didn't see anything in the manual that suggest the files I'm using are out of compliance with the unit's capability. Anyone else have this problem or suggestions on how to resolve it? It's really annoying to burn over 100 files to only have 20 of them actually play on the unit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok after some deeper digging it looks like it may have something to do with the ID3 tag version. I haven't found a way to change this in WMP yet. Why couldn't they have just made this thing like most modern units and just work without all this hassle? I've never had this problem before and I've been burning MP3 discs since the format first gained popularity in the 90's. Guess I'll have to find some special software just to revert these files to v 1.0 so the unit will be happy :mad:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Please, please, please let me know if find the solution to this problem! I've been through the same crap over and over. I DO NOT want to keep an ipod plugged in to listen to my music. I'd just like to burn music to a CD and go.

Itunes finally allows you to easily convert to MP3, but like taker96 said, the HK still doesn't read all the tracks. WTH?

·
Registered
629 Posts
OK, everybody calm down. This is one of the most vexing things ever, UNTIL you figure it out, then it is a total non-issue.
I do not use WMP, so am not sure about its capabilities. However, there are two things that have to be right for the CDs to play:
1) make sure you are actually burning MP3s. The HK until will not play any other format (AAC, etc).
2) This is the hard one: the HK unit will not play Mp3s with ID3 tagging above v1.1.
So, how do you accomplish this?
First thing, you will want to have a separate copy of your music folder, so that you can leave all your original music unaltered (with album artwork, lyrics, and all the other stuff ID3 V2 allows)
I recommend the following:
1) download iTunes for free
2) make a copy of all your music either on an external HD or in a separate location on your main HD
3) Point iTunes to that location and let it import all the music.
4) select all the tracks in the iTunes library, and right click
5) select "convert ID3 tags"
6) select the option to convert to v1.0
7) wait
8) done! you now have a library of tracks that can be put into playlists as you like and burned to data CDs (6-7 hours of music per CD)

I will subscribe to this thread so if folks have problems, I will try and help.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I will try this as well! Hate having the extra step but it's cheaper than the stereo upgrade I was pricing waiting on a response lol.

You instructions should be a sticky somewhere.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks Guys. If there is more interest in a sticky, i will actually do "proper" step by step instructions at home when i am in front of my personal computer. The instructions earlier in this thread are from memory.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I had this problem with a cell phone player once and it turned out that some of the titles and track artist descriptions were too long. You may want to try to rename the track to a shorter name 16 characters or less. Worked for me and the phone player recognized and played the songs it wouldn't recognize before. Just a thought....

·
Registered
629 Posts
Longrides is correct that track or artist name length is a frequent problem. Longer names are one of the many enhancements in metadata that ID3 version 2 allows. Following my instructions above will truncate names automatically as part of the conversion to v1
Ian

·
Registered
36 Posts
ugh!! That is absolutely archaic! Is there some sort of firmware flash the dealer can do to fix that? I *finally* have my 1.2TB music collection tagged and structured the way I want it...I'm not even entertaining the idea of going through that process again!

·
Registered
400 Posts
4) select all the tracks in the iTunes library, and right click
5) select "convert ID3 tags"
6) select the option to convert to v1.0
7) wait
8) done! you now have a library of tracks that can be put into playlists as you like and burned to data CDs (6-7 hours of music per CD)

Cheers
Ian
I currently have Itunes with over a 1000 songs. How do I select all the tracks at once and convert ID3 tags to v1.0 with out doing each song one at a time?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I vote for sticky. This is primo information.

I prefer using MP3's on CD (wish the HK would read DVD's). That is easier to control on the road than using my iPhone. Now, if I could just stop switching to Weather Band every time I set the cruise control :eek::mad::(

·
Registered
162 Posts
WOW! That'll take care of were and how to mount the mp3. Cool!

·
Registered
400 Posts
GovDog I used all the info you provided and it works great. My next question is do they make a blank CD the can hold more than 700MB 80 minutes or recording time? If so where do I get one?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Glad it worked for you sporty. The short answer to your question is no, 700 is as big as they get. It is a bit more complex than that, but I am pretty sure the finicky HK radio would not like any of the options.
If you want a lot more music without hassle, get a used iPod nano and jack into the aux port. I generally listen to CDs and radio around town, but take my iPod for long trips.
Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
272 Posts
I bought a Sony MP3 player (8GB). It holds approx 2000 songs and I plugged it into my HK radio's auxiliary plug. The volume is more than loud enough and the sound is extremely clear! I also have a J & M 250 watt amp and the regular J & M 7.25 inch speakers. At 80 mph, I could hear it perfectly!

·
Registered
400 Posts
GovDog yea I have a Ipod shuffle that I use with a Aux cable. But I like they way the HK displays the artist and title track on the display when the music is playing.
Thanks for the write up, I tried burning CD`s using windows media player, Real Player, Rhapsody, and ITunes MP3. This is the only thing that worked in the HK. I was talking to a couple of riding buddys about this subject and they had all the same problem. I emailed them the instruction, and they burned their CD`s and everything worked like a champ. Thanks again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alternative to iTunes

How I resolve the HK MP3 player ID3 Tag problem.
First thanks to Govdog76 for identifying the issue to begin with as I had no clue to what the problem was. Based on his explanation the HK radio won’t play MP3s with ID3 tagging above v1.1. He suggested using iTunes to revert the tags to v1.x but since I’m the last guy on the planet not to have an iPod I found using iTunes to be difficult. It was doing things to my music library that I didn’t want it to even though I was simply trying to change the ID3 tag. So I continued to search for another way to accomplish this without using iTunes. I sampled many different programs that are out there and finally settled on one that seems to be the most consistent (and free). Here’s what I do now to prepare my MP3’s before burning them to a CD. (This is not necessary if you’re burning regular audio CD’s). Follow these instructions at your own risk.
1. Download and install ID3-TagIT (available for free on cnet.com)
2. I create a new folder to place copies of the MP3s I plan on burning so that I don’t disturb my original music library
3. Copy the desired MP3s to the new folder
4. Open ID3-TagIT and select the folder where you copied your MP3s
5. Select all tracks (ctrl + a)
6. Go to ID3-Functions menu and select “Remove TAG Ver. 2” then do “Remove TAG Ver. 1”
7. Burn your MP3s to a CD as an ISO and you’re done

Notes:
  • This program seems to crash a lot on my system (Windows 7 64bit) but may be more stable on other machines.
  • I don’t know if it’s necessary to remove both Tag versions 1 & 2 but that’s how I’ve been doing it and it works. You may be able to get away with just removing Ver. 2 if you want to test it.
  • I don’t know about the other functions of this program as I only use it to remove ID3 tags from MP3s
Click the album to update

Select all tracks then remove tags

Once tags are removed no data will appear next to tracks. You can burn using your favorite software at this point.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts