Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my bars today and will be installing soon, do I need tbw extensions? Or any other wire extensions? These are the 10's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it help to have extensions?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I dont think so, but if you PM Neano62 he can give you the wiring breakdown provided by Yaffe if you dont already have it, it's worth it's weight in gold when doing it, because you have to take appart the connectors in order to get the wiring down through the bars and this will help to be sure you get it all back together correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just wrapping up my 12" monkey bars. what a pain on my 09. it can be done. Neanos directions are key. also lots of EZ pull

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are you guys using one piece of heat shrink? Where do you get it? I can only find it in lengths of 6" or so. I have the tbw through but can't get the other wires through on the right side. What have you guys been using to hook and pull the wires through with? I also used heat shrink of shorter lengths butted up to each other on the control wires but didn't use any on the tbw. Should I? Any help is appreciated. This is a pta. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks Neano,
What did you use to fish the wire through? I used a shoe lace with a fishing sinker for the throttle by wire but, there has to be something better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok i found the 2 foot length of heat shrink at an electrical supply house. less than $4 each.i pulled multiple sections of butcher string. always leave one in until done. stiff piece of wire helps to push and pull. always protect you wires

·
Registered
59 Posts
After almost slashing my wrists last night out of pure frustration I said screw it and brought it to my indy this morning. He looked less than excited but said he would handle it. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
After almost slashing my wrists last night out of pure frustration I said screw it and brought it to my indy this morning. He looked less than excited but said he would handle it. Thanks for all the help.
With all due RESPECT.
I would not be to excited if I was him either. You took him something you took apart and expect him to finish it. Personally I would have ask you to put it back to stock then bring it back. He has no way to know if everything worked. Now he will be married to this bike for ever. If your blinker stops working a year from now the first thing you will think is man it must be in the wiring and call up the shop that did your bars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No disrespect taken. I consider my indy a friend of mine and do not do business like that with anyone I deal with, as I am a small business owner myself. He did not look too excited because he has done handlebars with tough bends before and knows what a pain it is, not because of worrying that I am going to screw him. If something does go wrong in the future, I will gladly pay him to fix it and not expect him to warranty it. With all due Respect. Not everybody in this world expects something for nothing or is out to screw everyone.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Then as a bussiness owner you must already know there are a bunch of people out there that will expect something for nothing and are out to screw everyone. Many people automaticaly assume any problem is the fault of the last person that touched the bike weather it is a related issue or not. I have done some jobs for "friends" also and have stayed married to the bikes. Bottom line is it is risky for the shop to take on your job. It is just something for others to keep in mind before diveing in to deep.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I understand what you are saying. Anyways, I will post pics when done and give any tips my indy had for getting wires through. BTW, i consider myself pretty mechanically inclined........just not very patient......ok, not at all. Later.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The hardest part is getting the TBW mid conector and the rest of the wires lined up. If it is not done just right the last tug of the bundle will not seat the TBW cartrage or will unplug the mid conerctor inside the bars.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well that sucks you could not finish the job yourself, what a bummer! I will be back home in a few days and will tackle the job sometime in the next week, got me a 15 extension tbw on the way, I think what iambgoing to do is get some light gauge chain and run it through the bars, use the heat shrink and for themmost part follow the yaffe instructions, well see what happens, guarantee one thing though it's not going to kick my ass! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
It definately kicked mine. :D. They look great though. Pics to follow after wife gets back with cam in few days. Indy said took two people and lots of patience. Don't call if u want help with handlebars cause I suck.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts