Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to plan\day dream about summer road trips. I've seen brochures and magazine articles for Ohio's Windy 9. They revolve around setting up home base in Athens, OH and doing day trips from there. I'm in Maryland between Baltimore and Washington. I'd likely ride out on US Route 50 (a great road) and go after graduation at Ohio University.

So here are the questions.

Is it a worthy destination or just good marketing?
How many days would you stay?
Stay in town where you can walk to bars and restaurants, or stay out of town? How is parking in town? I assume in a college town that Uber is used there.
What hotels/motels/restaurants do you recommend?

Anything else you have to offer would be welcome.

Thanks much
Emil

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The Triple Nickel. Ohio Rt 555. 61.5 miles of twists, turns, climbs and descents that makes the Tail of the Dragon at Deal's gap look like a kiddie ride!
Ok, maybe it isn't THAT good, but it is a close second!!

Ohio Route 26, Ohio Route 800. Ohio Route 78... Follow the Muskingum River Valley north to Holmes County, home of the largest Amish settlement in North America. Stop for Wine at Breitenbach winery (Get the 4 barrel Tawney Port. Expensive but worth every sip!, Munch on some Amish cheese at Walnut Creek, dine in an Amish gasthaus in Berlin and Loudonville to name a few.

Area of Interests:

26 - Always a favorite, north end has some areas that need repaved but all in all a great road.

260 - Tight and twisty, generally in good shape.

676 - Fun and in decent shape, some dirt and gravel.

555 - Triple Nickel.....

78 - Today's winner, lots of sweeping turns with excellent asphalt....

Check out 536 also. Now that is a real twisty (~12 miles long, between 78 and 7)

Kiedaisch Point has an awesome view of the Ohio river, just off of 536
Monroe County Ohio, Monroe County Woodsfield, OH Kiedaisch Point

Hope this helps..Enjoy your Planning and riding

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Everything Dug said and then more.

SR83 and SR93 are also two great road. Logan Ohio is not that far and has a good BBQ place called Millstone.

Just about anything in Southern Ohio is good.

550 between Athens and Marietta is also a nice road.

Once thing I will say, some of the curves on these roads are not marked with warning signs and can bend real quick once you pop over a hill. 555 gets if fair share of trucks on it which means gravel in the road in some places. Also driveways that dump out right in a curve.

Carry out pizza place down there called Avalanche Pizza has great pizza and all kinds of different specialty pies.

Post up once you settle in on your plans and maybe some of us can meet up with you for a days ride. I'm 3 1/2 hours from there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like a worthy destination indeed. You were very helpful. How about lodging? Would you stay downtown, or outside of town? I saw a couple of motels that looked promising, but sometimes the online pictures can deceive.

Thanks again.
Emil

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, especially road conditions. Any experience with lodging in the area, or do you just do day trips there?

Thanks
Emil

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Just pulled out the map we have for the brochure. Been wanting to get down there myself. I'll m 3 1/2 hours North of there. Up on the Lake.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also interested. Which week you looking at? I have been trying (unsuccessfully so far) to get some friends together for a ride to Bristol around Fathers day weekend. Thundernationals go on that weekend and could spend a few days going in any direction for day trips. But I digress. Let us know - not far from home for me either, would like to ride that area as well.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
definitely a beautiful area to ride.
after going to the chillicothe bike rally we rode out to hocking hills to camp with her parents.
lots of beautiful scenery and wonderful roads.
plan ahead for gas stops...

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The annual GlideFest I go to every year went to the Hocking Hills area back in 2009 and the roads are well worth it. We rode for three days and had good riding to and from Maryland on 50. others have mentioned the good roads already, but make time to see the Big Muskie Drag Bucket. That was one memorable stop.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dates

I haven't picked dates yet. The only time ruled out is around Ohio University's graduation - May 3. Other than that I'm going to see if there is any interest from my club members and what their availability is.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well after watching all this white sh!t land here yesterday its got me dreaming of doing a trip.
Easter wkd this year is Apr 18 – 22.
If the weather is good I’m thinking that might be a great time to visit OH.
Maybe base out of Marietta.
Great thread so thanks for posting OP.
I registered for the free map from Windy 9

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Well after watching all this white sh!t land here yesterday its got me dreaming of doing a trip.

Easter wkd this year is Apr 18 – 22.

If the weather is good I’m thinking that might be a great time to visit OH.

Maybe base out of Marietta.

Great thread so thanks for posting OP.

I registered for the free map from Windy 9
That may be a bit brisk yet. I may have a 3day weekend then also.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts
awe ohiobellboy...but its nice to dream:)
besides...whatever the weather is then is sure to be warmer down there than it is here :)

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
I'm 3 hours or so North and we get snow in April. Have the last 2 years. But let's hope it's nice for your trip. If you come in by way of Buffalo NY you'll be real close to me when you hit Ohio. Look up Geneva on the lake. I'm 5 miles away. Swing by and we'll have a beer on the lake. Shoot me a PM if ya do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Lafayette Hotel is right on the river in town. Great place to stay and it's very affordable. Restaurants and everything else you would want is within walking distance. Right across the bridge in West Virginia is a great Italian restaurant named Da Vinci's I think. Great food. Every road mentioned in this thread are great roads but some have fallen into disrepair in spots. 536 would possibly be one of the best roads in the state if not the Midwest if it was taken care. A couple slips have made this road one lane in sections. It's a more technical ride than the triple nickle. The roads around Hocking Hills are amazing also. Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Heading down next weekend. The 25th. Leaving here Saturday morning around 6am. Spending the night at a Wyndham hotel then doing some riding before heading home. Cant wait.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts