Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen alot about Pro-Action but my builder is reccomending them and I have read they are awesome. Here is where I am

The bike I bought has what I think are Drag Specialties shocks and my back hates me and can hurt for days after a ride.
I have read and heard both are really good riding shocks.

I talked to Carol and to be honest I think he has a really good system for Ohlins. But I am a bit intimidated by removing the front legs to be honest.
My Builder recommends Pro-Action and he can do the entire job for less than the Ohlins. With the Ohlins I would have to do all the work myself.
The Factory for the Pro-Action is only 4 hrs away, American Made and Lifetime warranty.
Ohlins Made overseas with a 1 year warranty.
Ohlins has years with a great reputation. Ferrari and Bugatti both come stock with their suspension I believe.
I like supporting local, I like American Made but in the end what I really want is a great ride. I am leaning toward pro-action mostly because it support local and Jason at 141 Speed Cycles has a great shop and is a stand up guy. Anyone out there that would really steer me away from Pro-Action and if so why? I know Ohlins is great my wife had it on her BMW. And I know how good that ride is. I really just do not want to do the work on the front forks. And I do think that front and rear should complement each other.

Really need a help as I want to make an order tomorrow. And do not wnat to make a $2k mistake

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
05Train has a really good writeup on here about his great experience with PA. More than a few members have them and really like them. Others are planning on getting them myself included.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Heard nothing but good things about their products and service. Nothing wrong with letting someone else do your suspension work. There is a huge learning curve on the proper setup. 05Train will probably chime in today. His experience with Pro-Action was excellent, And he let them set it up. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I installed Öhlins 772 springs and FKS 228 forks last week on my 18 RG. As far as the install goes, if the forks had come with better instructions it would have made it much easier for me. It was initially frustrating but once I got the right fork set-up, the left was cake. There are some good videos on YouTube that help. Having done it now I wouldn’t hesitate to do another set. But initially it was a real pain in the ass. I don’t know if that aids at all in making your decision.

As far as Öhlins vs. Pro-Action.... I’ve never ridden anything other than Öhlins or stock HD so I can’t speak to PA’s at all. But I can tell you that Öhlins has made my bikes a pure joy to ride. I ride fairly aggressively and they keep those wheels on the road. There’s a lot of good products out there now and PA may be one of them. I’m sure some guys that run them will give you their two cents.

Good luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have some buds that have had ohlins and have switched because of various problems. Most of the guys I know ride RWD or legends and most of the guys that switched from ohlins went with RWD's and have never been happier.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Either one of those will out perform 99% of the riders on the streett. Set uop is key, find someone that know how to set them up and go with them. When my son raced motocross we had a suspension guy and he was amazing. Anyone can install them, dailing them in is a different story.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you sounds Like i am going to go with Pro-Action unless someone has compelling reasons not to. I would love to hear some experiences with Pro-Action as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally I am going with ohlins, BUT if you have a dealer resonably close, and you believe is competent that speakes volumes.
I'm up in the great white north so dealer support is lacking for pro action . That leaves me with (off the shelf) legends, or the world wide network support of ohlins. I would personally prefer to ride to a (trusted) dealer , and have them do forks , and shocks, and be done with it. Having a great dealer within riding distance is a better route IMO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Dealer close is 141 Speed cycles in Winchester Va. Jason is a real stand up guy and built this bike for the previous owner. He knows this bike inside and out. I do trust him. I just had never really heard of Pro-Action and was doing my due diligence. I still have seen people say " You can not go wrong with either 3" but I am really hoping for some direct comments from either someone who has ridden both, upgraded from one to another or has the Proactions and is willing to give me some really good feedback.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Coming from the motocross world most engine guys are not suspension guys and vice versa. Can they install them sure but are they going to be able to get them dialed in. I would call customer service and see if they know a good shop that can help. I run the legend revos and I love them.

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,428 Posts
I have almost 50k on my Pro Actions and they have been awesome; no regrets whatsoever and I always recommend them to others.

I cam across this video when I was considering which shocks to choose, and the Pro Actions seemed to be better built and easier to adjust, especially when they get some dirt on them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had Pro-Action on my old Road King front and back. It was a fantastic combo. Their customer service was also great. I called and left a message asking questions about settings. The owner called me back personally and we ended up talking about riding in general for probably 30+ minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have almost 50k on my Pro Actions and they have been awesome; no regrets whatsoever and I always recommend them to others.

I cam across this video when I was considering which shocks to choose, and the Pro Actions seemed to be better built and easier to adjust, especially when they get some dirt on them.

Great information I think this just put the nail in it for me.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My earlier thread pretty much makes it clear how I feel about the PA shocks and front end. You can spend a lot more on other brands, but for me, I'll stick with the PA stuff. George, DJ, and the rest of the guys at PA are the real deal.

If you're riding up from Winchester, you're 4 hours or so away from their shop. Make a noon appointment once the time changes, and you'll be home before dark.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My earlier thread pretty much makes it clear how I feel about the PA shocks and front end. You can spend a lot more on other brands, but for me, I'll stick with the PA stuff. George, DJ, and the rest of the guys at PA are the real deal.

If you're riding up from Winchester, you're 4 hours or so away from their shop. Make a noon appointment once the time changes, and you'll be home before dark.
Thanks I was thinking of ordering tomorrow. I'll call them and see what's up

·
Registered
433 Posts
I run the RWD's on both of my Road Glides. When I got the 2019 I took the shocks off the currently incapacitated 2013 and put them on the new 2019. I have never run Ohlin's or PA. I have run lots of other pricey shocks. MY dyna has 14" Race Tech piggy backs on it with race tech emulators in the front forks (cartridge style FXDX forks) and that bike handles great, way better than any bagger.

I run Legends Revo A's on both of my FXR's as I got one set cheap used and the other came with them. They are nice, but not nearly as nice as the RWD's on my Road Glide. Any after market shock will make huge difference over stock. If I was buying again I'd get the RWD RS-1 again.

Next for me, is stereo them front suspension, at least I think I might be able to afford another pricey mod sometime within the next year. Good luck with whatever you choose. I Guess I might consider trying shocks ny shorty, but I used another guy to remain unnamed here once and had a bad experience that i was told was my fault when it was not. I'm done giving shit loads of money to people that tell me I did something wrong when I did not and then wanted me to pay for parts to fix a brand new product.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Once you are hooked up be sure to check back , and give us your thoughts after a few hundred miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts