Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a friend do me a solid and hook me up with his gently used Ohlins 159's for about half the price of new. Springs was perfect for my weight (29nm) and the ride height adjustment was at 13.15 inches. Install was a breeze, but I did have to video which way to turn the rebound to find zero. after 18 clicks out on the rebound, and 25 mm of sag I was out for a test ride.
First impressions were very positive, by far the best setup I ever had on a Harley. The ride is firm and inspires confidence, feedback is excellent in the fast sweepers, and slow-speed maneuvers are more balanced. ( been practicing my ride like pro DVD skills lately). I did notice an issue, one that others have mentioned in many shock threads regardless of the brand; I really see how the front is soft now. Having one of the best shock setups available makes the front of my bike show its true colors, soft, with progressively wound springs. the front is fine just cruising, or on the freeway but I really noticed it when I pushed a bit harder on my local twisty loop. The average guy might never notice but when the rear is squared away, a rider that pushes it on a 900lb bike will feel the vague feedback of the front much worst now. Ohlins NIX 22 kit is in my future, right after I pay my dam taxes.
Still sickens me we have to spend $1500-$1800 to get our bikes to metric bike handling levels. ... is what it is.

I figure this post will turn into what I should have bought, based on members' choices and experiences so I will say before I bought these I looked at Fox, supershox, RWD, and Pro-Action. If these didn't fall into my lap I would have gone pro-action. Legend is too vague on their spring rates for such a high dollar shock so they weren't in the running.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Glad They "fell into your lap" Hope they will give good service.

My opinion, for the most part, on suspension upgrades is that the purchaser doesn't take the time to tweek the adjustments. Once they're close , ie out of the box , a little goes a mile as far as fine tuning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a friend do me a solid and hook me up with his gently used Ohlins 159's for about half the price of new. Springs was perfect for my weight (29nm) and the ride height adjustment was at 13.15 inches. Install was a breeze, but I did have to video which way to turn the rebound to find zero. after 18 clicks out on the rebound, and 25 mm of sag I was out for a test ride.
First impressions were very positive, by far the best setup I ever had on a Harley. The ride is firm and inspires confidence, feedback is excellent in the fast sweepers, and slow-speed maneuvers are more balanced. ( been practicing my ride like pro DVD skills lately). I did notice an issue, one that others have mentioned in many shock threads regardless of the brand; I really see how the front is soft now. Having one of the best shock setups available makes the front of my bike show its true colors, soft, with progressively wound springs. the front is fine just cruising, or on the freeway but I really noticed it when I pushed a bit harder on my local twisty loop. The average guy might never notice but when the rear is squared away, a rider that pushes it on a 900lb bike will feel the vague feedback of the front much worst now. Ohlins NIX 22 kit is in my future, right after I pay my dam taxes.
Still sickens me we have to spend $1500-$1800 to get our bikes to metric bike handling levels. ... is what it is.

I figure this post will turn into what I should have bought, based on members' choices and experiences so I will say before I bought these I looked at Fox, supershox, RWD, and Pro-Action. If these didn't fall into my lap I would have gone pro-action. Legend is too vague on their spring rates for such a high dollar shock so they weren't in the running.
Fuck the 22s and go straight to the 30s….you will thank me later

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
36 Posts
Go the Howard at Motorcycle Metal, he's been doing it the longest and will do the NIX30's 2" over as well. His website isn't as polished as Kevin's is (big bear) but he seems to be the the most knowledgeable of the three that do Ohlin's for performance baggers. My experience, my opinion. I'm running NIX30's 2" over (basically stock Dyna set-up) Front and 159's 1" over (14") for the rear. Love it. Haven't scraped a footrest mount since I did the conversion.

·
Registered
9,269 Posts
Go the Howard at Motorcycle Metal, he's been doing it the longest and will do the NIX30's 2" over as well. His website isn't as polished as Kevin's is (big bear) but he seems to be the the most knowledgeable of the three that do Ohlin's for performance baggers. My experience, my opinion. I'm running NIX30's 2" over (basically stock Dyna set-up) Front and 159's 1" over (14") for the rear. Love it. Haven't scraped a footrest mount since I did the conversion.
You can also talk to Howard on this site. His handle is FastHarley.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohlins truck will be at Sturgis , so will Big Bear, I'm going to do something then. Not sure I need 2" over but I am trying to learn all I can about them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We put Ohlins on the back of our 16 RGS and the difference in ride quality was incredible. The difference was so remarkable that it felt like we had a new bike under us. It was worth every single penny that we spent to put them on. So obviously the next logical step was to install the NIX kits in the front. Lots of money spent on the front end and I can't tell a single bit of difference. As happy as I was with the back I was as equally disappointed with the front suspension upgrade. I would have been better off spending that money on stereo or engine components. My suggestion, and its worth very little, upgrade the rear and don't worry about the front.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We put Ohlins on the back of our 16 RGS and the difference in ride quality was incredible. The difference was so remarkable that it felt like we had a new bike under us. It was worth every single penny that we spent to put them on. So obviously the next logical step was to install the NIX kits in the front. Lots of money spent on the front end and I can't tell a single bit of difference. As happy as I was with the back I was as equally disappointed with the front suspension upgrade. I would have been better off spending that money on stereo or engine components. My suggestion, and its worth very little, upgrade the rear and don't worry about the front.
surprised by that twinstar, cant imagine how adding new springs for your weight and adjustable rebound and compression did nothing for you. first I have read about disappointment with any fork upgrade set up, regardless of brand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts