Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned Harley's for 26 years , I've done a lot of mods to them but never thought about suspension , on my last bike I won a set of Progressive 940 shocks , so I bought the monotubes and installed them too , I could not believe the difference in ride and knew then I would upgrade my suspension on any bike I bought in the future , when I bought my 2011 FLTRX I ordered the Ricor 12.5" shocks and the Intiminators , once I dialed them in I really liked them solo and 2up with a backrest , after having them on for several months we took 2 trips back to back 2up with the tour pak and loaded down , I never could get the Ricor to work fully loaded with a tour pak so I sold the shocks and the Intiminators and bought the Ohlin's #3-#3 and installed Progressive monotubes in the forks , I must say now that I got them dialed in the set up is amazing , it does everything well and the bike handles so much better , I'm finally happy , the other systems were better than stock but I really love my current set up

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I hope to get the monotubes for the front this winter, and will be installing Harley Hand adjustable shocks on the rear next week.
I appreciate you sharing your experience with the different mfgs of upgraded suspensions you have used. I was thinking about the 940s but they are so expensive, i found a deal on HDs so going with them. Anything has to be better than air shocks. i cant stand that even though i have the new deisgned frame, that the bike still dives and oscillates in the corners.
Do you think the rear or the front suspension casues the hobby horse ride?
Ive tried every air pressure and no air pressure with the rears and didnt seem to affect the handling, just affects how hard or soft the bumps feel.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the hobby horse effect is from both ends , the rear shocks are bad and starting there is good , I've read good reviews on the HD Premium hand adjustable shocks so hopefully they will work for you , the monotubes really stiffen up the soft front end and help it track better and stabilize it , I bought them from Phat Performance for $264 and did the install myself , if you can install them they are not bad , the dealer charges about 4 hrs @ $90 per hour and that gets expensive

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the info. I hope this thread grows. There's nothing like personal experiences on a topic that gets very little attention in the H-D world. I hope to make suspension upgrades this winter.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks for the post and insight.

My 2010 RG Custom crash and bangs no mattter what the PSI and the rear is the worst ride I have ever had. My '03 Fatboy rides smoother.

I will be tracking down a suspension upgrade for sure!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I think the hobby horse effect is from both ends , the rear shocks are bad and starting there is good , I've read good reviews on the HD Premium hand adjustable shocks so hopefully they will work for you , the monotubes really stiffen up the soft front end and help it track better and stabilize it , I bought them from Phat Performance for $264 and did the install myself , if you can install them they are not bad , the dealer charges about 4 hrs @ $90 per hour and that gets expensive
I didnt realize its a 4 hour ordeal for the monotube install. thought it was just a simple drop in 1 hour. I might be able to tackle it with some help. I own the service manual, so that should help too.
GUess thats why i need to save $ for them.
Thanks for the price and vendor for the front monotubes.
One more question, did you go with a front lowering monotube or did you leave the stock height? Can you list Progressives part # too?
thanks again.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you do go to www.motorcyclemetal.com , Howard has a link in the touring shock section that generically explains the differences in shocks that will help no matter what you buy , if you decide on Ohlins and you are a hdforums member he offers a big discount , his #2-2a are a 12" and with discount are about $540 , I bought the #3-#3 with discount about $740 , most people I know bought the #2 line and love them and their price is in line with any top line shock but you are buying Ohlins quality
Thanks for the post and insight.

My 2010 RG Custom crash and bangs no mattter what the PSI and the rear is the worst ride I have ever had. My '03 Fatboy rides smoother.

I will be tracking down a suspension upgrade for sure!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with standard height #31-2500 , these will lower it 1/2" anyway , it's not 4 hrs but I've seen them quote that , if you removed your forks from your bike and had them do the install it would be 1 hr ,most the time is in removing the front tire , fender and dash so you caN REMOVE THE FORKS
I didnt realize its a 4 hour ordeal for the monotube install. thought it was just a simple drop in 1 hour. I might be able to tackle it with some help. I own the service manual, so that should help too.
One more question, did you go with a front lowering monotube or did you leave the stock height? Can you list Progressives part # too?
thanks again.

·
Registered
614 Posts
thanks again.
I would also try Drew at Dr V Twin they have some great prices and I believe they can get either the Ricor or the Progressive stuff.

I hade the Progressive tubes in my softail and it made a lot of difference, especially since I had it lowered 2 " front and rear. With the Progressive fronts there is no more maintenance since they are sealed and gas charged cartridges

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I went with standard height #31-2500 , these will lower it 1/2" anyway , it's not 4 hrs but I've seen them quote that , if you removed your forks from your bike and had them do the install it would be 1 hr ,most the time is in removing the front tire , fender and dash so you caN REMOVE THE FORKS
Cool thanks for that! I just read on HD forums your post from last year.
You had installed the 1" lowering monotube #31-2501 and thought the rebound was a little harsh?
Is that why you went with the non lowering this time?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lowered was harsh , I removed 1 c clip and it was fine , I went standard because I wanted to level my bike , all touring bikes are on the same frame , however they all have a 16" rear tire and 17" front tire except the Street Glide and Road Glide Custom which both have an 18" front tire , Harley doesn't compensate for this , I went with 12 3/4" shocks in the rear (raising it 3/4") and standard monotubes in the front (lowering me 1/2") which basically put me within 1/4" of being level but gave me more suspension front and rear for a better ride

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Awesome. I understand your thinking now. thanks again TJ.
I have already lowered my front an inch with HD profile, and getting the Street Glide Hand Adjustable shocks( lowered version)
I will replace my HD lowering front this winter with Progressive monotube lowering front, but not the full 2 ". just an inch so my bike should sit as it currently does.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when you do the lowered just remember it will tell you to install 3 c clips , put just 2 c clips in and it will not be harsh at all
Awesome. I understand your thinking now. thanks again TJ.
I have already lowered my front an inch with HD profile, and getting the Street Glide Hand Adjustable shocks( lowered version)
I will replace my HD lowering front this winter with Progressive monotube lowering front, but not the full 2 ". just an inch so my bike should sit as it currently does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts