Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ohlins #6's arrived yesterday. I put them on the bike last night and put about 200 miles on them today. These shocks come 13 1/4" long with a 93mm stroke , I wanted them shorter so Howard custom built me a set , they wound up 12.323" long with a 85.5mm stroke . I set my sag at 1 1/8" and set the rebound at 14 clicks and the compression at 14 clicks for break in purposes. I will not start adjusting anything til after 500 miles but I can tell you after my initial ride that these shocks paired with the 30mm Ohlins cartridges in my front forks is by far the best handling , smoothest ride I've ever had . So I don't get accused of drinking the kool-aid again I will tell you why and try to do a basis shock 101 so it makes sense . First here is some pictures of my install.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Next Shock 101 : Lately when someone buys a set of Ohlins or JRi and say they are better than their previous Progressives the question is always why. When they say they ride better or are built better because they really don't understand why they fill better then the accusations begin. I've always said just about any shock is better than stock but to try to explain things I drew up my poorly done chart. (please forgive , I'm not an artist) What is the primary function of suspension ? Answer to help you keep traction and stay in control , the secondary function is a smooth ride. When Howard post dyno's on shocks what is it showing ? What dyno's show on shocks is how fast they respond to change , the faster the better , the slower not as good. Stock shocks are terrible , Progressive and others are better , Ohlins and JRi and a few other are better yet. So to say it's a dresser it won't benefit from race or better shocks is not correct. The faster responding shock gives you better traction and a smoother ride. Look at my picture #1 , a bike on a smooth road and the bike is parallel to the road , #2 it hits a dip in the road , with a fast responding shock the bike stays parallel and only the tire and swing arm go down in the hole , you maintain traction , #3 you hit a bump in the road and the bike stays parallel to the road and only the tire and swing arm go up , #4 you hit a dip with a slower responding shock and now the bike enters the hole as well , the bike is no longer parallel , you have more weight on the back and your front end is loose , #5 you hit a bump with a slower responding shock and the whole ass of the bike goes in the air loosing traction on the ass end. This is basic but usually when someone says it was smoother , handled better and had better traction it is because the shocks they are now using are faster responding shocks (which is what the dyno shows ) than they had before. I think everyone should buy what ever they want based on their budget , riding style etc. But faster responding race style shocks give you better traction and a smoother ride. I hope this makes some since and again I do not wish to insult or get into an argument with anyone I am just trying to explain the question I keep getting asked as to what makes one shock perform better than another . THANKS

Attachments

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
your explaination is perfect, the other thing I might add is that even when you buy a shock like progressive or HD, the more adjustability the better the shock is going to be, ie: a cvo shock is way better than a stock air shock, so you can have incremental improvements, I am not sure of all the progressive shock models, but there will be a huge improvement from base to best model, etc. etc.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
THanks TJ!

You are definitely a shock junky! LOL!
I thought i was upgrading by getting rid of the stock air shocks and getting the CVO shocks. they seemed firm but not harsh, and i thought they were more planted to the ground.
But as soon as i hit a bump or dip, i go flying in the air. My biggest problem is, that i dont weigh enough for CVO shocks. They are meant for 180 lb rider and bigger. I only weigh 145.
When i have fully loaded bags, tour pack, and my fiancee on the back, the bike rides great!
I wish i had a shock that rode great when i ride solo, as i do 90% of the time.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your welcome DED , the problem with suspension is most riders do not know what they are feeling , they just know if it feels good or better than before , so when you ask them why it is better they say it's built better or has better valving etc. , which is true , but what does that do? It gives you a faster responding shock which equates to a better ride . Your shocks may be sprung to heavy for you to allow them to work correctly , do they offer different springs ?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Nice, I like how they put the reservoir behind the bags , out of the way from exhaust heat.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
great explanation! Any chance you are selling the 2nd best set you have ??

·
Registered
809 Posts
THanks TJ!

You are definitely a shock junky! LOL!
I thought i was upgrading by getting rid of the stock air shocks and getting the CVO shocks. they seemed firm but not harsh, and i thought they were more planted to the ground.
But as soon as i hit a bump or dip, i go flying in the air. My biggest problem is, that i dont weigh enough for CVO shocks. They are meant for 180 lb rider and bigger. I only weigh 145.
When i have fully loaded bags, tour pack, and my fiancee on the back, the bike rides great!
I wish i had a shock that rode great when i ride solo, as i do 90% of the time.
Ded you need a shock with compression and rebound adjustment, with a spring rated to just carry the weight. That way when the wifie rides you can just add a touch of compression to control the weight.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FrankieB , where do you have your settings at , I started at 14 comp. and 14 rebound and it actually feels real good there

·
Registered
809 Posts
FrankieB , where do you have your settings at , I started at 14 comp. and 14 rebound and it actually feels real good there
I have been running the ohlin 6's for about two years and to be blunt I don't really remember but I am around 14 clicks for rebound and around 12 ish for compression.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
great explanation! Any chance you are selling the 2nd best set you have ??
yes , you are the 3rd person that has asked me , I will let you know after I talk to them first , I'm responding in the order I was contacted THANKS

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
your welcome DED , the problem with suspension is most riders do not know what they are feeling , they just know if it feels good or better than before , so when you ask them why it is better they say it's built better or has better valving etc. , which is true , but what does that do? It gives you a faster responding shock which equates to a better ride . Your shocks may be sprung to heavy for you to allow them to work correctly , do they offer different springs ?
Ded you need a shock with compression and rebound adjustment, with a spring rated to just carry the weight. That way when the wifie rides you can just add a touch of compression to control the weight.
Maybe next year, after i buy my first house, get through the wedding, and pay off my bike and truck i will have an opportunity to get some "real" shocks. Of course, after i replace my damn compensator, and possibly my starter if my comp takes it out too. Damn Harleys! lol!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
yes , you are the 3rd person that has asked me , I will let you know after I talk to them first , I'm responding in the order I was contacted THANKS
let me know, seems like I am always a little late for the good deals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts