Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the ohlins forks and had what I am calling hydraulic failure because I know no better. Any way the ride quality has been going south and recently the ride height went to a notable .5 to 1 to about 1.5 drop. All this happened in about 2000 miles or so.

Today I spoke with Ohlins and they said my install looked good and they noticed no bad parts. However they said the oil was blacker than they had ever seen, and could not explain how it could had gotten so bad. When I did the install I used Ohlins oil and new seals from HD. I do wonder if the issue could be coming from the Arlen ?Ness lower legs.

So I was wondering if anyone here might be able to provide some insight. Howard provided a bit before I ever sent them in and did not want to work on them since I purchased them elsewhere, I get it. So off to Ohlins USA they went.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So I got my call back today and my forks on the way back home They said the oil was so worn out and contaminated it looked like it had 50,000 miles on it. I kind of wish they would have found something wrong other than the oil. I kind of wish they would have found something wrong other than the oil now there is no way of telling if I will have the same problem in a few months It certainly makes me wonder if the fork legs are the issue it certainly makes me wonder if the Arlen fork legs are the issue

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
What I said

I had the ohlins forks and had what I am calling hydraulic failure because I know no better. Any way the ride quality has been going south and recently the ride height went to a notable .5 to 1 to about 1.5 drop. All this happened in about 2000 miles or so.

Today I spoke with Ohlins and they said my install looked good and they noticed no bad parts. However they said the oil was blacker than they had ever seen, and could not explain how it could had gotten so bad. When I did the install I used Ohlins oil and new seals from HD. I do wonder if the issue could be coming from the Arlen ?Ness lower legs.

So I was wondering if anyone here might be able to provide some insight. Howard provided a bit before I ever sent them in and did not want to work on them since I purchased them elsewhere, I get it. So off to Ohlins USA they went.
What I said was that I do not interfere or subvert other venders customers. I told you that exactly. When you asked me to rebuild your shocks than you became my customer on that shock part. You purchased your shocks used and had no original vendor on that shock part. I look at talking with other vendors customers once they purchase the product unforgivable & extremely rude as I do not not like that one bit if it was done to me. You purchased your cartridges from a vendor who is the person who should be the entity providing your support and not Ohlins unless that is a last resort but that is entirely your call and how you handle yourself. That has always been my outlook. It is called respect for others and I am sorry if you understood it differently. I thought I made myself abundantly clear on that subject. I like you and am grateful that you thought of me and it was my pleasure to be involved with you. I have my morality that I do not ever compromise.

>>> Howard provided a bit before I ever sent them in and did not want to work on them since I purchased them elsewhere, I get it.

<<< I hope any misunderstandings you have has been cleared up.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howard you are definitely the subject matter exper, I wish I had bought my forks from you to begin with That being said I contacted fuel Moto and they were of little value or assistance to me stating I should call Ohlins directly .

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Howard you are definitely the subject matter exper, I wish I had bought my forks from you to begin with That being said I contacted fuel Moto and they were of little value or assistance to me stating I should call Ohlins directly .
If you need them re-valved to your own specifications, now you are somewhat local, I am in the process of getting my shock Dyno ready to dyno forks. It is a matter of buying the fixtures to do the job. At Rallys I can do both the 25mm & 30mm cartridge/forks. Re-valving is a much different matter and is not overstepping onto anyone's customer responsibility as I know of no Ohlins dealer who does this service much less has a shock dyno.

Dirty oil and shock hydraulic failure.

When your cartridges or shim type shocks oil; gets very dirty the dirt/partials form and collect between the shim stack, this dirt makes the shims not "seal" (for lack of a better word" as they should and the oil can squirt out of either/and the compression/rebound stroke. This is a shim stack from a 30mm cartridge so you can visualize what could have been going on between the shims as well as on the piston.

This is the flow through with check-valve side.

That could very well be what is going on. It is very easy to check with a pull-up tool for both sides.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forks came in on Friday and back on the bike Saturday. Took her for a quick test ride Saturday and a bit longer (300 miles) Sunday and she rides great. I guess it was the oil, but now I have my fingers crossed I will get more mileage out of this oil change.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have not been all that impressed with them. I think they could be much smoother then they are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.