Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I posted in an earlier thread, I ordered a set of 3-3 Ohlins from Howard @ Motorcycle Metal. All in all my experience was a positive one. I spoke to Howard 2-3 times prior to placing my order. He is almost always reachable on the first call and if not he gets back to you within the hour. That being said, if your looking for a slick, salesman to tell you which shocks to buy, Howard is not your guy. However, if you want someone who is extremely knowledgeable in how suspension works and will help lead you down the road to making the right decision for your needs give Howard a call. He will custom build you a set of premium shocks at an extremely fair price (especially after the forum discount). I received my shocks in three days from placing my order. Great service IMO. After install, setting the sag and one more call to Howard all I can say is WOW! The only problem is that now the front end needs to be upgraded. Lol!

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to live about 20 minutes away from Howard. He did the shocks on my 10, and if I'm not lucky enough to win the shocks at SW7, I guess he'll be doing my other 2 bikes. Howard is definitely a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to suspension, but as mentioned if you want someone to dazzle you with BS or make you feel warm and fuzzy, that's not him.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey just curios if you used the spacers on both sides of the bike?. From the Factory I only have them installed on the right side.

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
Well, I didn't win the shocks at SW7, but I did bust a fork seal the other day. Long story short, I decided since I need to replace the fork seal, I might as well upgrade my suspension. If I upgrade my suspension I have to do my wife's also. I met with Howard today and went over what I want to do.......talk about being educated. I felt like I was in school most of the day. I learned a lot and Howard basically let me sell a system to myself based on what I wanted.....if that makes sense. Like I mentioned earlier, Howard isn't a smooth talking salesman, you explain to him what you're looking for and he educates you on what he has and lets you make the decision. He won't try to sell you the highest price or top of the line if it's not what you need, just tries to educate you so you'll make a wise choice.

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
I met with Howard today to install the front end on my 17. I decided to go with the Ohlins FKC 102 1" lower. Howard informed me that I would get a better ride if I went standard height, but I really want 1" lower, so that's what I stuck with. We put the bike on the lift, disassembled the front, cleaned everything then put the front back together. I learned a lot today, and this wasn't my first time doing a front end, but it was the first time with Howard. 1 thing I did learn is I will be changing the fork oil every 10 to 15k, I couldn't believe how dirty it was and the deposits that had built up. My bike has just over 12k miles, I changed the current front end at close to 1k, so of course everything was still fresh. Now to the main part........These shocks are great. I had already changed from OEM to Progressive springs, the ride was good, but nothing like what I've experienced so far with the Ohlins. I only have about 40 miles right now, and I can't wait to go to Daytona this weekend to get more of a feel. I will be updating soon. BTW I'm scheduled to change to Ohlins shocks for the rear next week, I will be writing about that also.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Ohlins on both ends is the only way to go David, you will love it

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
Ohlins on both ends is the only way to go David, you will love it
I agree with you Tim. I looked at the front end you have......but I have to do two bikes, plus I have the wide tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
dbell66253, Great post - I have spoke with Howard too and agree that he is the expert on suspension. If I can ask, how tall are you (inseam?)? I am bout 5'7 with 29 in inseam and looking at the 3-3 rear shocks with 1' drop on the front - want to be more flat footed. Already have a Corbin seat with cutaway by my thighs. Thank you.

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
dbell66253, Great post - I have spoke with Howard too and agree that he is the expert on suspension. If I can ask, how tall are you (inseam?)? I am bout 5'7 with 29 in inseam and looking at the 3-3 rear shocks with 1' drop on the front - want to be more flat footed. Already have a Corbin seat with cutaway by my thighs. Thank you.
I’m 5’8” with about 30-31 inseam. I have the 3-3 rear with 1” drop in front and am absolutely flat footed. Bike is much better than stock, I’m happy. One way I know it’s definitely better, I did my wife’s bike without telling her, we went for a ride the next weekend and she kept mentioning that her bike felt different in a much better way but couldn’t figure out why, lol. I told her what I did and she admitted she didn’t think the shocks would make that much difference, but she’s sold.

Reactions: HopsFreak

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quick answer

I’m 5’8” with about 30-31 inseam. I have the 3-3 rear with 1” drop in front and am absolutely flat footed. Bike is much better than stock, I’m happy. One way I know it’s definitely better, I did my wife’s bike without telling her, we went for a ride the next weekend and she kept mentioning that her bike felt different in a much better way but couldn’t figure out why, lol. I told her what I did and she admitted she didn’t think the shocks would make that much difference, but she’s sold.
David, how about trying out my new 25mm fully adjustable (compression, rebound, & spring pre-load) cartridges for 49mm fork tubes. Much better technology than the FKC 101/102 as it is the same as the NIX 30mm but with a 25mm piston. Much cheaper than the NIX 30mm as no modification to the fork tubes like exactly when I did the 25mm in your bike. Nobody has these & yes, they are black.
>:)

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
What set up do you have and what additional info can you provide on it .

·
Registered
457 Posts
Whats this Howards contact info? I want to chat with him about some products and recommendations. Whats the typical cost on these things?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just click on Howard's / FastHarley's screen name His Home page has his contact info. I just ordered the #6's and HKC101 for my 13 ultra. Howard knows his stuff. Tell him what your looking for and He will give you the tools/knowledge to decide what is best for you/(your budget) and your bike. He won't make the decision for you but help you gain the info needed to make your decision. He normally will answer anytime you call.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts