Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there really double the ride comfort for double the cost? who has had or riddin each type of shock and can you really tell the difference? thanks, gonna buy a pair of Ohlins, just wondering if I should go with the HD 357 for double the cost? Thanks,

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Subscribing. ...

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,413 Posts
I haven't ridden the more expensive models but I can tell you that the lower cost version is pretty awesome. I will say too that I was considering going to the more expensive version to get more adjust-ability and was told that what I have is just fine. So I'm not sure what you will feel in ride difference between the two. Maybe best to call Howard and get the real scoop on what you get for the money.

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/

BTW.... Howard is not who I was referring to in my 2nd sentence so please don't try and read into that.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you are seriously thinking about Ohlins, you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't to talk to Howard at Motorcycle metal.

Howard is to shocks as Frank Drago is to hp.

By the way both my wife and I love the Ohlin 3-3s on our bike. :D

Reactions: BG1960

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke to Howard on Sunday evening..... Just trying to get some feedback from others who have ridden both types of shocks before I make a purchase. Thanks

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I have owned and ridden Progressive 940 , Ricor , JRi B , Ohlins #3-#3 & Ohlins #6 . I can't speak about the difference between the 357 & 022 but I can speak to the 159 & 357. For me when I used the 159 I was very very happy and could have just stopped there and been satisfied , but after putting Ohlins in my front end I decided to upgrade the back and bought the 357 , in my opinion the 357 are the best shocks out there and I wish I had started there and would have been done and saved a lot of money in between , my wife says these are the most comfortable to her as well , although she had no complaints on the 159's . The more adjustability the smoother you can make the ride , HOWEVER , if you do not have the patience to dial them in and don't want to spend the time and effort or you don't have the budget the 022 is a great choice . They are worlds better than stock and a quality shock.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks tj316!!!!!!! thats what i was looking for......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got a set of Ohlins #6 for the rear and 101s for the front from MotorCycle Metal. As soon as I get it up on the lift I will begin the transformation :D. Should have the Ohlins fork oil this week from Motomummy. If you really want to find out how good a suspension is, have back surgery and then ride your bike. I took my Softtail out 8 wks post surgery and the road bumps and dips didn't seem to bad. I took the RG out at 9 wks (same roads) and thought I was on a hardtail. It has a stock suspension except for a change of oil front and back, plus the Ricor Intinimators.

Steve

'08 RG

·
Registered
3 Posts
The complete adjustibility to the 357 is related to more than just "comfort". Ideally, the bike's suspension is tuned to match front and rear suspension damping and both ends are tuned to react to what the suspension will see in expected use. On a sport bike or racer, the low speed compression and rebound damping is adjusted to match the front and rear speed and the total resistance to movement. Further adjustibilty then comes from revalving the shim stack for appropriate high speed damping.

For the Harleys, the front end damping is fixed in both directions. The complete adjustibility of the rear shocks allows you to match the rear to the front, or ignoring that, tune the rear for the exact ride that you want on compression and rebound...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.