Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a set from Cycle Solutions $1400 shipped, and pre-load set to my size, riding style, passenger size, amount of time spent with passenger, etc. Installed the right side with no hitch. On the left side, one of the included angled brackets is needed to deal with the antenna mount that obstructs the area where the clamp rings that hold the reservoir would be mounted. I'll need to drill holes in the steel bracket, so it can install on top of the antenna mount screw locations on my 2013 FLTRX. Will pick up on that next weekend, but here is a pic of the right side. I can't wait to get them through their break-in period so I can get them dialed in just right. Auto part Vehicle Suspension Engine Car

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
542 Posts
Keep us posted on how you like them.
I have been holding off on spending that much?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nice! Let me ask you this. What distance to you have eye-to-eye on the shock? 13"+? Did your bike come originally with 13" shocks? Mine came with the 12" adjustable HD shocks so when I put my new Ohlins on, measuring roughly 13 1/4 eye-to-eye, the wheel nut would not clear the muffler so I had to shorten up the bottom eye by an inch or so. In other words, the swingarm would only lower a limited amount before the wheel nut hit the exhaust indent. I feel by having to do that I have lost some adjustability. Are the swingarms different on Road Glides depending on the model? I hate to take a BFH (as one member suggested) to my muffler and wonder if I did something wrong.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice! Let me ask you this. What distance to you have eye-to-eye on the shock? 13"+? Did your bike come originally with 13" shocks? Mine came with the 12" adjustable HD shocks so when I put my new Ohlins on, measuring roughly 13 1/4 eye-to-eye, the wheel nut would not clear the muffler so I had to shorten up the bottom eye by an inch or so. In other words, the swingarm would only lower a limited amount before the wheel nut hit the exhaust indent. I feel by having to do that I have lost some adjustability. Are the swingarms different on Road Glides depending on the model? I hate to take a BFH (as one member suggested) to my muffler and wonder if I did something wrong.
These are the standard HD 357 13 1/8" eye-to-eye. I had Progressive 944's, and they were a lower a ride height. My understanding is the stockers were 13". Without any break-in yet, the Ohlins feel like my memory of the original stock height. I'm good with that, because I'm 6' tall and like having the extra suspension travel over Progressives, and I assume better floorboard clearance to boot. The Roland Sands Boss seat and my Mustang Wide Tripper seats both provide lower ride height. I'll have to see what its like with the big cushy Sundowner 2 up touring seat. The Ohlins have a height adjustment at the bottom of the shock that I will experiment with after a few rides. I'm not sure whether it adjusts shorter or longer from where it is.

I did encounter the swingarm barely touching my 4" slip-ons during installation. The length of the shock requires the swingarm to articulate about 1/8" below the point where it makes contact with the 4" muffler.

I just removed the screws that suspend the muffler to relieve the obstruction, allowing slightly more lowering of the swingarm with a little downward pressure, while fitting on the shock and snugging on both nuts. Once the bike is lowered, tall kinds of clearance for tightening everything down. No BFH required!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks! I'll give that a shot when I get my bike back from having the Ohlins front suspension installed.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
What front end are you getting ? The 25mm non adjustable ? I'm running the Ohlins 30mm fully adjustable up front with a custom built set of Ohlins #6's in the rear and the set up is amazing

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TJ, what model is the front setup, and how much does it go for? What conditions do you adjust for? Other than adjustability, what is the advantage of the 30mm cartridge over the 25mm with regard to ride quality or handling? I appreciate any info you can share, or perhaps a link to a previous write-up.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I rode them and adjusted them to my riding style and have since left them alone , but being fully adjustable you can set them up how you like them , the 30mm having a bigger piston give a better damping control and better ride , I don't know the year of your bike but the 30mm will only fit in 49mm forks like on the 2014 and newer , I bought a set of 49mm forks for my 2011 , a set of Howard's 49mm triple trees for 2013 and older bike and the 30mm Ohlins cartridges , this is a huge improvement over the stock 41mm system , I did a complete write up on hdforms under 49mm forks for 2013 and older bikes I believe , I don't know if I did a write up here or not , I just looked my write up on hdforums is under 'Howard's 49mm fork review'

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I rode them and adjusted them to my riding style and have since left them alone , but being fully adjustable you can set them up how you like them , the 30mm having a bigger piston give a better damping control and better ride , I don't know the year of your bike but the 30mm will only fit in 49mm forks like on the 2014 and newer , I bought a set of 49mm forks for my 2011 , a set of Howard's 49mm triple trees for 2013 and older bike and the 30mm Ohlins cartridges , this is a huge improvement over the stock 41mm system , I did a complete write up on hdforms under 49mm forks for 2013 and older bikes I believe , I don't know if I did a write up here or not , I just looked my write up on hdforums is under 'Howard's 49mm fork review'

I couldn't find a write-up here, I'll check it out on HD Forums. Thanks for level setting on the 49mm fork requirement and the applicable model year. I've got a 2013 FLTRX so I guess the 25mm cartridge is for me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
FKC 101s - non-adjustable. It's a 2012 CVO. I chose not to change out the front end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts