Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a set of HD 772s in the garage that I'm going to put on this weekend. The main reason I'm posting this before the install is I'm kind of skeptical that they are going to make as much difference as I always read about.

I don't hate the OE stuff on the bike as much as everyone else apparently does. Matter of fact I never really think much about it at all. I always figured the cats bitching about the suspension being so bad were just kind of soft...LOL :wink:

So once I get them on and set up I'll come back and post my thoughts.

I'm hoping to be as impressed as everyone else. :grin:

·
Registered
330 Posts
It you have a Rushmore model you will notice a big difference.

Are those the adjustable length? Make sure to set the sag. It will make a difference. Also, it will take a couple hundred miles for them to settle in.

FYI..if you like the rears you'll end up changing out the fronts too.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
If you are not aware, eye to eye is a different length on each side by a small amount. When you lift the rear of the bike to install the shocks, install the top bolt of each shock first then lift the bike to where the left side eyelet is aligned perfectly with the bolt hole on the swing arm so that you could install the bolt by hand freely. Then break the locknut loose at the bottom of the right shock to adjust the length so that you may now insert that bolt by hand freely without having to move the position of the bike up or down. Then lock the locknut back into place. This will help ensure that you will get them same adjustment on both sides instead of one shock being compressed a little more than the other.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Setting them up correctly is 90 percent of what you will "feel". If you bought them from Smarty follow his directions.

It is better to have a second person to help set the static sag correctly.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It you have a Rushmore model you will notice a big difference.

Are those the adjustable length? Make sure to set the sag. It will make a difference. Also, it will take a couple hundred miles for them to settle in.

FYI..if you like the rears you'll end up changing out the fronts too.
It's a 19.

If you are not aware, eye to eye is a different length on each side by a small amount. When you lift the rear of the bike to install the shocks, install the top bolt of each shock first then lift the bike to where the left side eyelet is aligned perfectly with the bolt hole on the swing arm so that you could install the bolt by hand freely. Then break the locknut loose at the bottom of the right shock to adjust the length so that you may now insert that bolt by hand freely without having to move the position of the bike up or down. Then lock the locknut back into place. This will help ensure that you will get them same adjustment on both sides instead of one shock being compressed a little more than the other.
I was, but thanks. I swapped a set of take off HD hand adjustable' s onto my 12 Street Glide

Setting them up correctly is 90 percent of what you will "feel". If you bought them from Smarty follow his directions.

It is better to have a second person to help set the static sag correctly.
I did in fact get them from Smarty. I'll be calling him so he can walk me through it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bet you’re going to notice a nice difference.I was looking at those too.The stock hand adjustable shocks just rode to stiff.Its nice to have some bounce.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet you’re going to notice a nice difference.I was looking at those too.The stock hand adjustable shocks just rode to stiff.Its nice to have some bounce.
That's what I'm hoping for.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing it's ok to run the eye all the way in to make the shock as short as possible right?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I'm guessing it's ok to run the eye all the way in to make the shock as short as possible right?

Yes on the short side but then you will want to run the other side out a couple of threads to make it line up with that hole. The objective is to not have one shock more compressed even by a little.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes on the short side but then you will want to run the other side out a couple of threads to make it line up with that hole. The objective is to not have one shock more compressed even by a little.

Cool. Got it. That’s what I did. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Call smarty! He will set you up! Installed mine last fall. He walked me through the install on the phone. Great guy, excellent advice. Haven’t had the opportunity to ride that much yet, but so far like the ride. If it ever stops raining here and personal commitments allow I’m gonna give them a good shake down. From what I can tell the bike is rock solid in the curves at speed, also rides smother than the stock shocks. Doesn’t bottom out .

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Call smarty! He will set you up! Installed mine last fall. He walked me through the install on the phone. Great guy, excellent advice. Haven’t had the opportunity to ride that much yet, but so far like the ride. If it ever stops raining here and personal commitments allow I’m gonna give them a good shake down. From what I can tell the bike is rock solid in the curves at speed, also rides smother than the stock shocks. Doesn’t bottom out .
I did.....apparently he's out riding somewhere in the Ozarks.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this a good explanation of at lest the measurement? I kind of want to get the bike off the jack. And does it matter which side its done from? And then my last question is how do you know you got them even on both sides once you start to set the pre load.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He should be calling me back shortly, so no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Is this a good explanation of at lest the measurement? I kind of want to get the bike off the jack. And does it matter which side its done from? And then my last question is how do you know you got them even on both sides once you start to set the pre load.

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqEh39DPO3A
I put a mark on mine with a black Sharpie so I knew when I got to a full turn. Turn them both the same number of turns.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put a mark on mine with a black Sharpie so I knew when I got to a full turn. Turn them both the same number of turns.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Mine have a white plug in one of the holes so you can tell where they are.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it all hooked. Tomorrow will be judgement day. :surprise:

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Mine have a white plug in one of the holes so you can tell where they are.
That white plug on mine is a locking screw. Makes me wonder if they changed something since I got mine 4 years ago.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqEh39DPO3A
Sounds like you got in touch with Smarty and got it setup but I just wanted to say for other readers that you know you have them even when you have the back of the bike lifted to install the lower bolts, you can install the bolts on each side without having to adjust the bike up or down to get the 2nd side in freely. Just turning them in or out the same number of turns doesn't work.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts