Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a set of HD039 on my 2017 FLTRXS. What a difference this product made on the over all ride and handling of my bike. I had no idea it would make this much of a difference. :grin:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Congratulations. I love the way mine rides with them. The techs at my local HD always compliment the way my bike rides and Im running the stock junk on the front. I need to bite the bullet and let @Smarty do my front.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Congratulations. I love the way mine rides with them. The techs at my local HD always compliment the way my bike rides and Im running the stock junk on the front. I need to bite the bullet and let @Smarty do my front.
Anytime Eddie, just a short ride and we will have you riding in style! Remember, Suspended by Smarty. lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just replaced my rear shocks on my 2018 RoadGlide Special to Ohlins M/M 3-3 from Motorcycle metal. King Rigid mounted tour pack and Ultra seat. This thing is night and Day different. It still sits at 11.8 and tracks in the back like the shocks literally are alive and recognize when to by relaxed and when to be responsive. Simply night and day!! Now I need to replace the front end so I get the kind of bike that I want. Chinese 12.00 shocks are no comparison to Ohlins. Harley should be ashamed of themselves putting junk suspension on a $27,000 motorcycle. High end Ohlins should come standard on all Touring HD's. They already have Brembo brakes and finally went with Brembo master cylinder, now fix the suspension as people are catching on. Wonder why Indian is doing well, out the door a better ride.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Just replaced my rear shocks on my 2018 RoadGlide Special to Ohlins M/M 3-3 from Motorcycle metal. King Rigid mounted tour pack and Ultra seat. This thing is night and Day different. It still sits at 11.8 and tracks in the back like the shocks literally are alive and recognize when to by relaxed and when to be responsive. Simply night and day!! Now I need to replace the front end so I get the kind of bike that I want. Chinese 12.00 shocks are no comparison to Ohlins. Harley should be ashamed of themselves putting junk suspension on a $27,000 motorcycle. High end Ohlins should come standard on all Touring HD's. They already have Brembo brakes and finally went with Brembo master cylinder, now fix the suspension as people are catching on. Wonder why Indian is doing well, out the door a better ride.
well howdy, neighbor!
did you get the 13" shocks?
what was the biggest improvement?
does it still bottom out?

anyone else know if it changes the rake/trail or any other handling characteristics?
i've got 5.5K on my stock shocks and i can start to feel the "wallowing" in corners that i really hate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Call Howard at Motorcycle Metal. I got the 329MM 13 inch but at lowest setting is actually 12 3/4 inch. When on it it sets at 11.8 in stock mounts. extra 1.5 CM + of travel and the best shock made for bikes period!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Factory are $12.00 capers, the left shock is the only one that does all the work and measures 308.1 MM the right has NO valving at all and only has a spring and measures 301.1 MM ??? Binding on the swing are? What are these engineers thinking. Both my OHLINS are 329 MM each and forget the superior valving, nitrogen filled separated with superior material in metal.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Call Howard at Motorcycle Metal. I got the 329MM 13 inch but at lowest setting is actually 12 3/4 inch. When on it it sets at 11.8 in stock mounts. extra 1.5 CM + of travel and the best shock made for bikes period!!
I bought my front and rear from Howard and after speaking with SMARTY here on the forum at Shark Week I would rather deal with Smarty... Just my .02 cents...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Howard sets them up in a more Tailored way to the individual rider, but they are 159's just tweaked by Howard.

Are you sure??

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just ordered that same setup for my ’18 RGS from Howard at Messner's motorcyclemetal; man, that guy truly is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to motorcycle suspensions. I can’t wait to get them installed and experience what a real quality suspension rides like.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I installed Ohlin 772s last week with Smarty on the phone giving instructions. Great support from Carol, he was on vacation and still walked me through the entire installation and set up process. Superior customer service!
Now the bike is amazing, no more bottoming out on freeway expansion joints and it loves curves. As OP said, turned a good ride into a great one.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Howard sets them up in a more Tailored way to the individual rider, but they are 159's just tweaked by Howard.

Buy from whom you wish but I don't agree with this statement. Howard is very knowledgeable and will explain a ton of the finer details about how the shocks work but Smarty simplifies things and they just work. Smarty will do just as much to get you dialed in and will also keep working with you for as long as you need.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The real deal

Buy from whom you wish but I don't agree with this statement. Howard is very knowledgeable and will explain a ton of the finer details about how the shocks work but Smarty simplifies things and they just work. Smarty will do just as much to get you dialed in and will also keep working with you for as long as you need.
I have no idea what anyone else does nor do I care, I will not discuss others but I know what I do. No shock or suspension is dropped shipped to you by me except under special request. Every shock/fork come to me first. I first test the shock to make sure it is is functioning properly as the last time an Ohlins shock has ever seen the light of day was in Sweden unless a spring change is ordered by a OhlinsUSA customers. They are not tested. I have a shock dyno of my own and not a picture off of the internet Photo Shopped into a picture of my shop. If necessary I will take the shock apart to make sure it is functioning correctly or for weights out of the parameter they are designed for. How could the same shock work for a 110 # girl work for a 300 # guy? It can not work optimally. How can the longest S36DR1L 336 +10/-0 work on a FLT when Ohlins does not valve them for a bagger but does make them for Sportster's and Dyna's only. I get many requests for longer shocks for more ground clearance, how do you think this will happen?

A non-functioning/malfunctioning shock from Sweden does not happen very often, but, if you are the one who does receive that non-tested shock, than that is your only concern. Many who receive new shocks do not know what 100% functioning and not correctly functioning shocks are. They have no experience in knowing or anything to compare it to. You, as my customer, only receive 100% correct shocks. This is not just Ohlins, a world premiere suspension company in the world, but every shock ever made.

I rebuild or repair Ohlins shocks as I am a factory trained and factory certified Ohlins technician. How can others explain how the shocks work much less diagnose an issue and know how fix it if they do not know how to take it apart and examine the suspension? I do the doing and do not do just the talking. I started this HD Ohlins thing before anyone else could see or had the foresight into the advantages of great suspension. Read the forums around 2006 when this all began and the choices were limited to Progressive, Works, or Fox shocks. All of this was not suited for my own bike. When I started this project around 2005~06 into suspension, there was no mounting or set up instructions for HD's because there were no good shocks available. I had to come up with them.

RGKen posted an unqualified and incorrect statement, I have come up with my own mounting instructions and all steps must be done. Good customer service is not just filling out a form about your weight, e-Mailing the PO to Ohlins, have Ohlins put the merchandise in a box, than have Ohlins ship it to you and call a number and have someone tell you how to install 4 bolts and incorrectly set your sag. You be the judge, however, if you do make a statement be prepared to back it up with the truth.

Originally Posted by MDJGLIDE View Post
Howard sets them up in a more Tailored way to the individual rider, but they are 159's just tweaked by Howard
HeatWave Are you sure?
HeatWave
To directly answer your post, since you stated that can you tell me have you ever come and had me sell you anything or do you get your information either through ESP or read it over the internet? I would like you to please prove your statement by bringing money to wager and than stopping on by to loose it. Everything I say I back up with skill and not BS. Come out from behind your computer screen into the light of day and qualify yourself. No ying-yang, no talk, but the truth where your statement and you has more to loose than key strokes.

On every one of my invoice's I request that the new customer should call me (before hand) and we will install the shocks if they want. I have found that many customers can not understand the written word or translate the work into actual doing. I have sold well over 3,000 shocks & have some experience in these things.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No shock or suspension is dropped shipped to you by me except under special request. Every shock/fork come to me first. I first test the shock to make sure it is is functioning properly as the last time an Ohlins shock has ever seen the light of day was in Sweden unless a spring change is ordered by a OhlinsUSA customers. They are not tested. I have a shock dyno of my own and not a picture off of the internet Photo Shopped into a picture of my shop. If necessary I will take the shock apart to make sure it is functioning correctly or for weights out of the parameter they are designed for. How could the same shock work for a 110 # girl work for a 300 # guy? It can not work optimally. How can the longest S36DR1L 336 +10/-0 work on a FLT when Ohlins does not valve them for a bagger but does make them for Sportster's and Dyna's only. I get many requests for longer shocks for more ground clearance, how do you think this will happen?

A non-functioning/malfunctioning shock from Sweden does not happen very often, but, if you are the one who does receive that non-tested shock, than that is your only concern. Many who receive new shocks do not know what 100% functioning and not correctly functioning shocks are. They have no experience in knowing or anything to compare it to. You, as my customer, only receive 100% correct shocks. This is not just Ohlins, a world premiere suspension company in the world, but every shock ever made.

I rebuild or repair Ohlins shocks as I am a factory trained and factory certified Ohlins technician. How can others explain how the shocks work much less diagnose an issue and know how fix it if they do not know how to take it apart and examine the suspension? I do the doing and do not do just the talking. I started this HD Ohlins thing before anyone else could see or had the foresight into the advantages of great suspension. Read the forums around 2006 when this all began and the choices were limited to Progressive, Works, or Fox shocks. All of this was not suited for my own bike. When I started this project around 2005~06 into suspension, there was no mounting or set up instructions for HD's because there were no good shocks available. I had to come up with them.

And that would be why I made the decision to buy mine from Howard.:wink:

·
Registered
173 Posts
New?

and you could go even further if you've got the jack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cLwh8v15e0
this thing is all tricked out
New? I built this suspension package and installed it for Terry in 2000 right after he pitched for the NY Yankees in the 1999 world series. This is a correct built set up with the forks in front of the steering stem (not behind) like all race bikes are. Because Terry is so big we did not need to cut off the stock goose neck to shorten the frame as it made the bike much more comfortable. Terry is huge but one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet.

This is our second additional offering for 1986 ~ 2008 FLT's.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
New? I built this suspension package and installed it for Terry in 2000 right after he pitched for the NY Yankees in the 1999 world series. This is a correct built set up with the forks in front of the steering stem (not behind) like all race bikes are. Because Terry is so big we did not need to cut off the stock goose neck to shorten the frame as it made the bike much more comfortable. Terry is huge but one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet.

This is our second additional offering for 1986 ~ 2008 FLT's.
not one time in my post did i use the word "new."

don't know why you're quoting me in this post, but sounds like you've got an axe to grind.

please grind it somewhere else...

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I have no idea what anyone else does nor do I care, I will not discuss others but I know what I do. No shock or suspension is dropped shipped to you by me except under special request. Every shock/fork come to me first. I first test the shock to make sure it is is functioning properly as the last time an Ohlins shock has ever seen the light of day was in Sweden unless a spring change is ordered by a OhlinsUSA customers. They are not tested. I have a shock dyno of my own and not a picture off of the internet Photo Shopped into a picture of my shop. If necessary I will take the shock apart to make sure it is functioning correctly or for weights out of the parameter they are designed for. How could the same shock work for a 110 # girl work for a 300 # guy? It can not work optimally. How can the longest S36DR1L 336 +10/-0 work on a FLT when Ohlins does not valve them for a bagger but does make them for Sportster's and Dyna's only. I get many requests for longer shocks for more ground clearance, how do you think this will happen?

RGKen posted an unqualified and incorrect statement, I have come up with my own mounting instructions and all steps must be done. Good customer service is not just filling out a form about your weight, e-Mailing the PO to Ohlins, have Ohlins put the merchandise in a box, than have Ohlins ship it to you and call a number and have someone tell you how to install 4 bolts and incorrectly set your sag. You be the judge, however, if you do make a statement be prepared to back it up with the truth.

I don't believe I said anything "unqualified" or un-true Howard. I also don't believe I stated anything derogatory about or towards you either. I was just merely stating the differences between the two of you in how you operate and I still do not believe that Smarty does ANYTHING that would make buying shocks from him any less quality. I will add now though that since you seem to be so defensive that there must be a reason SOOOO many people are going to Smarty now vice YOU. Get over yourself and take your drama elsewhere. No one cares about that kind of BS here.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts