Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to replace the stock suspension and have it narrowed down to Ohlins or Legend Revo A's....any recommendation's from people who have had either would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....

·
Super Moderator
1,835 Posts
Currently riding on Ohlins, love them, way better than current stock offerings. Have a buddy riding on Legends Revo A's and he loves them just as much as I do the Ohlins. You really can't go wrong with either improvement over the stock.

Anything is an improvement over the stock single sided adjustment setup. Also lots of folks on here riding on SuperShox as well and they love those vs stock.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
14 Posts
Currently riding on Ohlins, love them, way better than current stock offerings. Have a buddy riding on Legends Revo A's and he loves them just as much as I do the Ohlins. You really can't go wrong with either improvement over the stock.

Anything is an improvement over the stock single sided adjustment setup. Also lots of folks on here riding on SuperShox as well and they love those vs stock.

Calgaryglide
This sums up my research on the subject very well. Very few people have tried or even ridden on more than one suspension. It is also really hard to take others opinions on how the suspensions are because the setup, weight and riding style vary so much. But the common theme is that everyone loves what they have, getting it setup properly is key and anything is better than stock.

I know that doesn't answer any questions, just thought I would share my days and days of research.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I didn't know anything about Legends because I'm fairly new to Harley. I've had tons of Ohlins. The key to Ohlins is getting them from someone who HONESTLY knows how to set them up.
I decided to take the dealers advice and put Legends on my 19 CVO. Price wasn't the main factor, but my dealers experience was. The Legends are everything they are cracked up to be. I was worried about the initial setup, but Legends are a piece of cake, even if you have zero experience. Set the sag to 1", and set the rebound (typically) to 3 for one-up. I am totally sold on Legends for the Roadglide.
Matt Laidlaw has a great Youtube video where he compares the Legends to Fox. He also talks about stock suspension and higher end options. Great review if you get a chance.

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
I have Ohlins on two bikes, absolutely love them. Setting them up wasn’t hard at all. I went from JRI to Ohlins, The JRIs I have on my 3rd bike and the Ohlins are extremely similar, I’ve never had Legend, but have heard good things about them also. I went with Ohlins because of a guy who lives by me who actually assembled the shocks to my specific needs. www.motorcyclemetal.com

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have Ohlins on two bikes, absolutely love them. Setting them up wasn’t hard at all. I went from JRI to Ohlins, The JRIs I have on my 3rd bike and the Ohlins are extremely similar, I’ve never had Legend, but have heard good things about them also. I went with Ohlins because of a guy who lives by me who actually assembled the shocks to my specific needs. Index
That's what I meant by setting them up. You had them built to your needs. I think you can get a better result with Ohlins if the person setting them up knows what they are doing. Everyone claims to know what they are doing. That's how they stay in business. And since anything is going to feel like an improvement over stock, lots of people love any shock regardless of how it's set up, even if it could be setup better. That's not to say yours aren't set up correctly or that you don't know. I'm talking generalizations.

then there's the question of how much better a properly set up Ohlins will be? And how often does it need to be rebuilt compared to Legends?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’m one of the guys that have not ridden on a lot of different shocks. I’m sure either will provide a great ride that you have on your radar.I had to ask myself if I’m I going to use the shocks to their fullest ability or do I want an improved ride and still be happy because the improvement was very noticeable.I myself purchased Suspension technologies shocks and it’s a very impressive improvement over stock.But I can’t compare it to others.But for me I don’t think there’s a better deal out there. I don’t need all the adjustments.Mine came preset.I installed them and checked the sag and riding I went.Bitubo from DK customs gets great reviews for $525.00

·
Registered
409 Posts
Can’t speak to Legends but I would go with Ohlins via Smarty (Carol Burks) on here just based on his assistance and expertise. Gives you someone to call and get reliable info and answers from. He has been a great help to me.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
That's what I meant by setting them up. You had them built to your needs. I think you can get a better result with Ohlins if the person setting them up knows what they are doing. Everyone claims to know what they are doing. That's how they stay in business. And since anything is going to feel like an improvement over stock, lots of people love any shock regardless of how it's set up, even if it could be setup better. That's not to say yours aren't set up correctly or that you don't know. I'm talking generalizations.

then there's the question of how much better a properly set up Ohlins will be? And how often does it need to be rebuilt compared to Legends?
I've never ridden on Legends.

I have Ohlins. Every 20k miles from what I've heard on the rebuild. Others say more. I had mine done at 25k miles and the guys said the oil looked like water. Oh, $325 also. I spent $850 on shocks and have to have them rebuilt every two years. Not really what I was hoping for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've never ridden on Legends.

I have Ohlins. Every 20k miles from what I've heard on the rebuild. Others say more. I had mine done at 25k miles and the guys said the oil looked like water. Oh, $325 also. I spent $850 on shocks and have to have them rebuilt every two years. Not really what I was hoping for.
When I was shopping for shocks and I talked with the ohlins rep on the phone and asked questions.The 20,000-30,000 mile I asked about and he said it’s more of an inspection and not a rebuilt.I ask who paid and he said the customer would.I didn’t like the idea of paying for shocks after I bought them.Legends I don’t think charges as it’s a life time warranty and suspension technologies will inspect and rebuild if necessary for free too.Legends has the oil in a bladder so I think it stays clean that way.I don’t think you can go wrong with what you pick but we make it complicated.lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes, very happy with my lifetime-warranty SuperShox. The guy who I spoke to on the phone for advice actually makes them. I liked that too.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Pretty sure pro-actions are no charge for rebuilds also...so many choices...lololol

Reactions: Idahokid

·
Registered
130 Posts
What to pick?

Wow, every reply is sound advice.

Normally, when enough people reply, someone will opine that the 'Boing-a-Thon' shocks from Wally World for $225 are just as good as the rest, just not true.

Everyone has you pointed in the right direction, maybe one additional consideration might be if you feel like you want to go through the effort of setting up a 'adjustable' rebound. Both the Revo-A's and depending on which Ohlins you choose will have that feature. Carol (Smarty) and Howard at Motorcycle Metal are both very competent. After getting your weight(s) and riding particulars they will set you up with proper spring and a staring point for your rebound adjustment. Dialing that in to the best possible can take some trials, I'm still working on it after a few weeks chasing that elusive 'best for me' thing. I paid for the ability so...

On the other hand, Super Shox (and slight less expensive Ohlins, Revo's) have no rebound adjustment, its factory set through the valve-ing, somewhat in the 'middle of the road' for rebound performance. Ask a million Super Shox owners and they will tell you they work great, just like that with none of the additional effort on your part.

I'll spend the time getting my rebound set perfectly for me, and probably land up just about 'middle of the road':serious:

Bobinator

·
Registered
142 Posts
What about going from 2 up to solo to fully toured up and then back again? I ride during the week solo. 2 up day trips on most weekends and at least once a month with my BSR with a loaded tour pak for a long weekend. Which of the aforementioned brands are the easiest to adjust back and forth?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What about going from 2 up to solo to fully toured up and then back again? I ride during the week solo. 2 up day trips on most weekends and at least once a month with my BSR with a loaded tour pak for a long weekend. Which of the aforementioned brands are the easiest to adjust back and forth?
This is where I am at in my research too. I am curious what other people consider the easiest to adjust. I don't ride 2 up often but want to get my girlfriend on there more. My big issues is that I am not a small guy at 280 and she is not tiny either. So any little bit of weight puts me into that next weight class on the shock scales that usually say anything over 300 needs a different rate of springs. So trying to find the right shocks to work for myself at the limit of most but also work well loaded up for camping or 2up given that its a big weight difference between the two options gets a bit tangled.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Great question, for me most of my effort is in disconnecting the speaker leads and additional lighting connections which require I remove my seat, then taking my bags off without scratching or bumping into things. Once that is done, spinning my adjusters on my Ohlins is relatively easy and fast.

Setting the sag, or more apt, resetting the sag between rider weight scenarios on the Ohlins is pretty straight forward. The rule of Ohlins thumb is one revolution on my adjuster for every additional 25#'s. Add wife, add five* turns, add Tour Pac, two more turns...lose wife minus five turns...etc.

I don't change rebound setting between scenarios.

Bobinator

* Really should be closer to six turns, but if she reads this...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here's one more take on Legends.....
I just installed them (front and rear) on my RG, and the ride is fantastic while going straight. I noticed when at lean in a corner it was like riding a rocking horse, especially if I hit a bump. I had to take the bike in for it's first service, and the dealer says it's because my brakes were hitting when at lean.
O.K..... I'll give that a try. If it fixes the issue I can't blame the forks.

But while the dealer was checking out my bike I tried to contact Legends.
I suggest that you try to contact them before buying their products. They have no phone numbers listed on their site. Everything is by email. Personally, I don't like buying from a company who won't talk to their customers. Especially in regards to service.

·
Super Moderator
1,835 Posts
"I had to take the bike in for it's first service, and the dealer says it's because my brakes were hitting when at lean."

I don't understand this statement. What were your brakes hitting when you were in a turn that they weren't hitting when going straight? Front Brakes or rear Brake or both?

Legends phone number is pretty easy to find; 605-720-4202. You're right it isn't listed on their website but it only took a minute of web sleuthing to find it.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
323 Posts
The front disk was out of spec, and it was more apparent while it was at lean. That's what they are telling me. Brand new CVO. I'm still not signing off on the suspension. I'll find out this weekend. Going on a major trip.
It would be nice to be able to call Legends and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think whatever you buy you will have to adjust the preload at least.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts