Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 CVO with 630 miles on her and riding 2 up today we bottomed out just about every time we hit a bridge expansion joint or any dip in the road. Even making a slow speed turn into a fuel station from the main road we bottomed. Looking for a good shock that will support 2 up riding routinely, looks like ohlins or jri, is what most people are using. any thoughts? :confused: Thanks

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I have 35K on my Ohlins. They are the basic shocks that I paid $650 (or $550, can't remember) for at bikeweek in 2013. I recently had them rebuilt and everything looked great except for the oil. This is standard practice with either shock and I don't believe you can go wrong on your choice here. I love my Ohlins with absolutely no complaints.

·
Registered
809 Posts
We have both brands on our ultra's. Both brands have worked very well for us. The wife has the JRI's, but I would have bought her ohlins like mine if ohlin had a lowered version in the model that I wanted. My only pet pev with the JRI's is there is no positive click on the compression adjustment with the model we have.

·
Super Moderator
13,060 Posts
I have JRI, but as mentioned above, they have changed manufacturing since I bought mine, so now I'd probably look at Ohlins. Contact Howard at www.motorcyclemetal.com and have a talk with him.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All, guess I'll be calling Howard in the morning.......

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Thanks All, guess I'll be calling Howard in the morning.......
Be ready for an interesting conversation.:D

I myself will be ordering from him as soon as I recoup some of the money I've had to lay out for my rental. From his suggestion I'll be getting the #3-3 rears from his website. It can be a little confusing at first looking at it but take your time and read through it all. Ignore the prices posted also, he gives a helluva deal on them.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I had JRi and Ohlins , I prefer Ohlins mainly because of the service you get from Howard and JRi has changed,Howard's service is second to no one

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2015 CVO with 630 miles on her and riding 2 up today we bottomed out just about every time we hit a bridge expansion joint or any dip in the road. Even making a slow speed turn into a fuel station from the main road we bottomed. Looking for a good shock that will support 2 up riding routinely, looks like ohlins or jri, is what most people are using. any thoughts? :confused: Thanks
Hello! Until you find some replacement shocks have you adjusted the preload with the knob on your left shock? I think you have the same shocks on my 2015 RGS and I have no problems with 2 riders?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Hello! Until you find some replacement shocks have you adjusted the preload with the knob on your left shock? I think you have the same shocks on my 2015 RGS and I have no problems with 2 riders?
He has a CVO which comes with the HD air shocks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He has a CVO which comes with the HD air shocks.
sounds like the air shock is inferior to the RGS adjustable shock...... haven't purchased anything yet, having a hard time thinking about laying out another $1000 plus for shocks on a brand new bike.....

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
sounds like the air shock is inferior to the RGS adjustable shock...... haven't purchased anything yet, having a hard time thinking about laying out another $1000 plus for shocks on a brand new bike.....
Ignore the prices on Howards site. He gives a nice discount to forum members. Depends on which ones you like. I myself have the #3-3 in mind.

·
Administrator
2,714 Posts
Very happy with my JRI's I bought from Howards. JRI - B's, not that much more than msrp of the progressive 944's.

D.

·
Banned
144 Posts
Installed JRI 2 years ago... very precise, easy set-up, fantastic customer service second to none. Plan to do a fork upgrade also the short comings of the front end become more pronounced once you get the rear under control.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Installed JRI 2 years ago... very precise, easy set-up, fantastic customer service second to none. Plan to do a fork upgrade also the short comings of the front end become more pronounced once you get the rear under control.
Rushedmore bikes with the bigger front forks isn't as bad as it was on the earlier models. I'll probably leave the front end alone even after I do the rears on mine.

·
Banned
144 Posts
Rushedmore bikes with the bigger front forks isn't as bad as it was on the earlier models. I'll probably leave the front end alone even after I do the rears on mine.
I see your in Canton, Ohio... As myself... I have a set of JRI A's and B's (old and new style) Both are excellent... the A's are setting on the bench with a fresh rebuild I don't think I could part with them though... As you know the roads around here are something to be desired especially right now, peeps in the south just don't understand we have a different riding environment... Proper setup and spring rate is much more crucial for any shock you choose on our roads... what applies in the south is different than here... You will bottom out, keeping it to a minimum is whats key. After a little trial and error JRI upgraded the springs, I then needed less preload screwed in and hence less spring wrap up... it's the best balance I've found again for Ohio roads... I could explain how I set mine up no matter which way you go, set preload... leave the bags off, a couple trips exit ramp to exit ramp on 77 hitting the damn expansion joints on the bridges and dial in the dampener until there is no or minimal bottoming... a zip tie on the shaft is your gauge...

Stock shocks on florida roads will provide a better ride than any aftermarket shock on ohio roads!

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
I see your in Canton, Ohio... As myself... I have a set of JRI A's and B's (old and new style) Both are excellent... the A's are setting on the bench with a fresh rebuild I don't think I could part with them though... As you know the roads around here are something to be desired especially right now, peeps in the south just don't understand we have a different riding environment... Proper setup and spring rate is much more crucial for any shock you choose on our roads... what applies in the south is different than here... You will bottom out, keeping it to a minimum is whats key. After a little trial and error JRI upgraded the springs, I then needed less preload screwed in and hence less spring wrap up... it's the best balance I've found again for Ohio roads... I could explain how I set mine up no matter which way you go, set preload... leave the bags off, a couple trips exit ramp to exit ramp on 77 hitting the damn expansion joints on the bridges and dial in the dampener until there is no or minimal bottoming... a zip tie on the shaft is your gauge...

Stock shocks on florida roads will provide a better ride than any aftermarket shock on ohio roads!
I'd have to say the worse expansion joints in my area are on the 77N and 30 interchange. Those bastards get us every time.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Stock shocks on florida roads will provide a better ride than any aftermarket shock on ohio roads![/QUOTE]

Sloguy , tell your buddy Marcus hi for me

1 - 20 of 50 Posts