Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might start a fire and rub some the wrong way.... BUT.... Anyone run any additional additives in their engine/trans oil?

I religiously use an oil additive/friction modifier package (archoil 9100) in my diesels after having a 6.0 F250 that had great benefits. I pulled valve covers and there was varnish on parts, ran the additive and pulled the covers again and it looked like the engine had never been run before. Even the (very reputable and highly knowledgable) shop I had work done on it at said "this is the cleanest and best looking diesel engine we've ever worked on".

The stuff I use was developed for OTR trucks and off highway equipment, a nanoborate compound with some other stuff in it. I haven't tried it in the bike yet but wondered if anyone else has tried something like it and what effects they've seen?

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
I run Lucas oil stabilizer.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
This might start a fire and rub some the wrong way.... BUT.... Anyone run any additional additives in their engine/trans oil?

I religiously use an oil additive/friction modifier package (archoil 9100) in my diesels after having a 6.0 F250 that had great benefits. I pulled valve covers and there was varnish on parts, ran the additive and pulled the covers again and it looked like the engine had never been run before. Even the (very reputable and highly knowledgable) shop I had work done on it at said "this is the cleanest and best looking diesel engine we've ever worked on".

The stuff I use was developed for OTR trucks and off highway equipment, a nanoborate compound with some other stuff in it. I haven't tried it in the bike yet but wondered if anyone else has tried something like it and what effects they've seen?
How many miles on your diesel when you started using it and how many miles you have now?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Lots of talk on oil additives, oil over on this site. They are serious about there oil!!

·
Administrator
10,671 Posts
6 point uh oh eh ??

A Bill Hewitt fan ??

Some love him , some hate him , no idea myself , some of his video stuff is useful and some he's a bit overboard ...

Never used him , tho' I pass within a few miles of his shop regularly ..

JtB

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many miles on your diesel when you started using it and how many miles you have now?
I had 95k when I started using it, and when it went into a side of a bridge it had 175k. Truck I have ('14 Ram 2500) now has used it for 100k of it's 125k life.

Lots of talk on oil additives, oil over on this site. They are serious about there oil!!

yep, I frequent over there as well. I too, am serious about my lube.

6 point uh oh eh ??

A Bill Hewitt fan ??

Some love him , some hate him , no idea myself , some of his video stuff is useful and some he's a bit overboard ...

Never used him , tho' I pass within a few miles of his shop regularly ..

JtB
who? never heard of him.

Snake oil. Never use.
ok

I use this, much better.

LOL. First I've seen this

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The threads I read on additives over there for the most part, say they are not needed with today's oil and correct OCI's.
That was for gas motors, I don't really look at the diesel info though. Might be different for them, no idea

·
Administrator
10,671 Posts
Bill Hewitt is a guy in Georgia who runs a shop with many you tube videos , he pushes archoil ..

JtB

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
The packages that come in modern oils are designed to stand alone and introducing other chemicals can in many cases work negatively. Not always in damaging your engine but can cause the oil package to lose it's effectiveness. Thus continued use overtime may cause excessive wear. Unless you have a high mileage engine with excessive wear the oil alone is more than enough. If you have excessive wear there are additives that can possibly help get you a few more miles until the next rebuild. If you must use an additive do your research to determine that it will be compatible with the oil you are using. Tons of variables out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ran HotShots FR3 in the engine of my RG, saw a tick better mpg but that was it. They claim a power increase but I'm not paying for a dyno run to find out.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Use quality oil that meets the manufacturer's specs, on a regular basis make sure there's enough oil in the motor, and change the oil using the manufacturers recommendations.

And. Stop. Obsessing. About. Oil.

It's 2020, not 1970. Metallurgy, manufacturing tolerances, and oil quality are all several orders of magnitude better than they were 50 years ago.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
STP - 'Scientifically Treated Petroleum'

Straight weights..non detergents all that sht, maybe for an ol'tractor not my Glide. (in gest) 20201014_180622.jpg

Now if youre talkn 'S tone T emple P iots' were jam'n
..mean we 'Plush

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just thinking, if you're out and about, and need to add oil, what do you do about not having additive or do you not worry? i don't use them in bike or any bike. I only thought about it as my buddy has a total custom bike, 128 now I believe, but he runs straight 60 synthetic, we were out and he had an issue, needed some earl, only thing I could gather up was 20-50...he had no choice. what's the point of running a specific formulation if you cant get it out in the boonies. make sense? as many say, just run oil of preference and do maintenance, you will be fine.

·
Administrator
10,671 Posts
Well nowadays we shouldn't be running strait weight in Harleys .. Back then there were reasons , remember many times in cold weather on a cold start , my pan and shovel would not start , put them in a warm shop for an hour and potato potato ..

I gave up on obsessing over oils long ago , too many used oil analysis that shows many different brands work fine .. When I rebuilt my cam chest in March , I had almost four quarts of syn 20-50 and syn 20-60 , different brands , left over from previous oil changes , dumped all of them in the motor and it did fine ...

I got Mobil 1 15-50 syn auto oil in there now ..

Just change it , don't see the need for additives above whats in the oil ..

JtB

·
Registered
248 Posts
Over the last 20+ years I have put over 100,000 miles on each of two Harley's, an '88 FXR, a 2000 FLTRSEI, and coming up on 40,000 on my FLTRU, my wife put over 90,000 miles on her 97 Sportster and 80,000 miles so far on her '05 FLHT. Always changed by the book and used either Mobil1 V-Twin or a few times HD Syn3, never added any oil addatives to any of my bikes. Zero issues that could be blamed on oil. As others have said, modern good quality oil is all you need.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Old bikes - yes.
New bikes - no. I have a 2010 RG that uses Harley Synthetic and that's it.
1967 XLCH has always had a hard time with valve guide oil leaks.
I started using MMO - you can probably find it yourself. It gives the intake guides a bit of lubrication that used to be provided by leaded fuels.
Remember exhaust valves open against cylinder pressure - they don't leak oil. Intake guides open against a cylinder drawing in air and will leak oil.
New bikes use better oil controls and more advanced metallurgy on valve stems and guides - they get along fine with synthetic oils.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts