Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on a ride and one of the guys behind me let me know I was misting him with oil. Figured it was coming from the breather on my ‘13 RGU. Got home and tore it all down( found the torx heads to the cleaner rounded off and thus had to take my deemed cut off wheel to cut, and the replaced the studs), got all the way back to the gasket behind the backplate and found it had torn. Replaced the gasket, the studs, serviced the air cleaner (K&Ntype)and all seems good. Checking primary levels and adding about a pint(39k on the motor). Any body think of anything else I should look at?

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
You about covered it. If your losing primary fluid you may have a little leak somewhere, you shouldn't lose any fluid out of the primary or tranny.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you have excessive blow by, try keeping the engine oil about 1/2 a quart low (middle of low/high on dipstick) It helps.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^^That or drive like a little old lady :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
10,681 Posts
Run those tubes to a catch can instead of feeding the oil back into the head .

Crazy , but when I did my cam chest , I drilled the drains out in the rocker supports and now I run the oil full , instead of half way up the hash marks and no blow by what so ever ..

JtB

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The gasket tore could of been from you taking the backing plate off. Did you check underneath to make sure nothing underneath the bike isn't leaking?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The gasket tore could of been from you taking the backing plate off. Did you check underneath to make sure nothing underneath the bike isn't leaking?

^^^That and the fact it would have absolutely nothing to do with blow-by anyway.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You about covered it. If your losing primary fluid you may have a little leak somewhere, you shouldn't lose any fluid out of the primary or tranny.
No other leaks. Just the staining from where the air and oil were mixing at the torn gasket. Looked to have been going on for a bit. Nothing now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

No leaks below. Checked the entire bike over snd no leakage anywhere else. Had definite air leakage at the upper right hand point where the gasket had separated, fair amount of dirty residue and flared as if the oil was being pushed out(or oily air being sucked in) as the air was being sucked in. Have now ridden a couple of hundred miles, and no signs of leakage. Don't want to pull the backer plate off, nor the gasket, but have used a few "paper "indicators to see if there was blow by and it is clear.

Guess too much time in aerospace to not just trust that the failure was not carried through. Suspect that when I installed the new backer plate from Fuel Moto, i may have over-torqued and over time it just failed. Definitely notice a difference in performance. Seems to be running smoother, and far fewer decelerations pops (residual air being ingested).

Thanks for the question, though as it made me go back and validate my failure analysis. I even talked with my tech at the dealership and he agreed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts