Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so... I just found out the oil drain pan that I have used for years on my ex Ultra will not slide under the RGC .....

Other than jacking it up (which would interfere with the placement of the pan anyways) what are you using when changing the fluids..?

I was thinking of using that same drain pan and cutting its height some.
I saw a LOW PROFILE drain pan that Harley sells. Wonder if it'll fit ..

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
One word of caution, do not leave it standing on end, full of oil, for any length of time, lest it bulge out on the bottom and become deformed. If you do not heed this advice, if you leave it out, flat, in the hot sun, open up one cap ever so slightly, push down on the bulging area to let all the air out, then seal it back up before air can get back in, you can get it reformed so it is back to it's original shape.

Ask me how I know this :(

Oh, and you can get this home on a Tour Pak Rack with a cargo net, just barely.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One word of caution, do not leave it standing on end, full of oil, for any length of time, lest it bulge out on the bottom and become deformed. If you do not heed this advice, if you leave it out, flat, in the hot sun, open up one cap ever so slightly, push down on the bulging area to let all the air out, then seal it back up before air can get back in, you can get it reformed so it is back to it's original shape.

Ask me how I know this :(

Oh, and you can get this home on a Tour Pak Rack with a cargo net, just barely.

HA HA ... YOU READ MY MIND.! I think I'll wait for the weekend and use my wife's car to go pick one up...

thanks !

·
Registered
853 Posts
Gotta say I LIKE that design! And $30 ain't bad!!! But I put my bike on a lift when I change the fluids.....
I might get it for the kid's Saturn.....

Now if you guys could just come up with a way to NOT make a mess pulling the filter.....!

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
I have the one from HD also, it works great, and my bike is lowered. I refused to buy it because I thought it cost too much, my wife went and got it for me....I love that lady. :D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
$4 oil pan from Autozone

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
You can also use a disposable aluminum roaster pan.
I use a metal paint roller pan for a while, but I got tired of spilling oil every time I went to pour it into something. I figure having a pan that holds the oil, and fits under the drain plug AND the oil filter at the same time is worth something.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I use the harley low profile oil pan. I'm able to drain all three fluids at the same time. I will buy the oil filter catch drain for future changes. Not doing so is a mess.

·
Registered
853 Posts
THANKS HD_Shock!!!! I read that post a long time ago and for the life of me couldn't find it/remember it!

As I sit here this morning drinking my second cup of coffee, I'll have a side order of humility.....being a pro mechanic, aviation mechanic for 24 years and auto one for the rest.....I have to say I never thought of taking the bike off the lift and doing the filter on the kick-stand......can you say....DDDOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!???????

Some times I just gotta laugh at myself....crying just clouds my eyes and I loose my Binky............

I just use a cheap plastic pan from Walmart. Fits under the bike fine and cost about $1.50 I think.

Here ya go ...

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=19339

·
Registered
587 Posts
I found the perfect drain pan, it was made from aluminum had a handle on each side which makes moving it around easy. The pan holds about 8 qts and will easily slide under the bike even when on the side stand.

Of course, little did I know that this also seems to be some hand-me-down family heirloom roaster of my wife's. Shit it was in the garage, that made it fair game in my mind (how was I supposed to know).

·
Shark of the Month July 13
3,145 Posts
I found the perfect drain pan, it was made from aluminum had a handle on each side which makes moving it around easy. The pan holds about 8 qts and will easily slide under the bike even when on the side stand.

Of course, little did I know that this also seems to be some hand-me-down family heirloom roaster of my wife's. Shit it was in the garage, that made it fair game in my mind (how was I supposed to know).
^^thats funny!^^
i'll just have my husband change mine this sounds to messy for me to deal with :cool:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
A cheap aluminum Roaster pan worked great and was large enough for all 3 holes to drain at same time..
Only draw back is pouring out all that used oil into jugs....

The $30 drain pan from HD vis a big convenience cause i would have just needed to take it to my local collection site to dispose of the oil

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 20 of 20 Posts